Singapore Expats

Applying PR: Should we wait or?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
lfo_24

Applying PR: Should we wait or?

Post by lfo_24 » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 11:33 am

Hi all,

We are Indonesian couple who will be expecting a baby very soon.

Here are some info:
Husband: Indonesian Chinese
Education: MBA
Visa Status: Long Term Visit Pass
Working Exp: Currently running his Indo business from SG

Wife: Indonesian Chinese
Education: MBA
Residential Status: PR since 2008 with one renewal REP
Working Exp in SG: 5yrs with last drawn salary Basic 2,500 and Gross 3,800

When the baby is born, we are thinking of applying PR together with my husband. In my opinion, perhaps it will be easier for the baby to apply, but not so for my husband since we are only married for 1 year.
My questions:
a. Is there a requirement for the husband to be at least married to SPR for 2 years before applying PR?
b. Should we wait for PR application for both my husband and baby? Or, should we go ahead with the PR application for the baby and then husband to show that we seriously want to stay in Singapore.

Appreciate if expert contributors can weigh on this matter. Thank you so much beforehand for all of your contributions. :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Applying PR: Should we wait or?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 2:17 pm

lfo_24 wrote:Hi all,

We are Indonesian couple who will be expecting a baby very soon.

Here are some info:
Husband: Indonesian Chinese

Wife: Indonesian Chinese
. :)
it is interesting to know both of you married in the same year :evil: :D

that was tongue in cheek ..

re your question, while I would say until you apply you don't know .. past stories favoured those who have been married for 3 years atleast ...

that you got long term for him so fast may tilt things in your favour, if you apply sooner .. I think ...

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 4:37 pm

Very low salary on your part!
Do you know that, under the current rules, you need at least S$4000/month to sponsor visa family members as dependants?
You probably got LTVP for your husband under the old rules (and it continues to be valid until you change job), but you will have problems getting one for your kid!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 7:36 pm

The 4k rule is for the work pass holders, here we have a PR, but the salary is indeed low and to get the LTVP the threshold was~2k8. Maybe they counted gross in this case.

OP: I would wait till you have a kid and your marriage millage is +2y.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 7:41 pm

x9200 wrote:The 4k rule is for the work pass holders, here we have a PR
Sorry, I overlooked this important fact.
x9200 is right in that case.

lfo_24

Post by lfo_24 » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 10:48 pm

So x9200, in that case, should I go ahead with the PR application for the baby first? To show that we are serious about staying here.

or, I wait till my husband reach the 2 yrs milleage then applying PR together for the baby and him?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 22 Jul 2014 8:41 am

lfo_24 wrote:So x9200, in that case, should I go ahead with the PR application for the baby first? To show that we are serious about staying here.

or, I wait till my husband reach the 2 yrs milleage then applying PR together for the baby and him?
Question: Has your husband been rejected for PR application before?

If not, ideally apply for both. Wait until your baby is born and then try applying for both of them. If not, at least your husband already has LTVP and you can consider applying LTVP for your baby (but it will be tricky since that will be two dependants for you).

lfo_24

Post by lfo_24 » Tue, 22 Jul 2014 2:35 pm

No my husband has not applied for PR before.
Thank you for the advice the lynx.

Got another scenario, does anything change if the scenario is I, myself, apply Citizenship for myself and the baby?
Anyway, we are thinking of staying here long term and becoming citizen is always the plan.

Questions:
1. Do I stand the chance of applying citizenship together with the baby now?
2. Do I ask my husband to apply for PR at the same time as my citizenship application to show that we seriously want to stay here? (the drawback is probably only we have not been married for 2 years+)

Thank you in advance.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Jul 2014 2:46 pm

Applying for Citizenship singly or with the baby while married will almost certainly be rejected as ICA will wonder why you are not applying as a family unit, First thing that springs to mind is marriage of convenience. Not me, but ICA. They tend to think the worst possible case scenario. Wait and do it properly. Otherwise, you could get yourself caught up in no-man's land. Not a good place to be on this island.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

lfo_24

Post by lfo_24 » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 2:23 pm

Well thank you for the advice, SMS! Would love to apply as a whole family, but unable to due to husband residential status... We will see how it goes then... Thx

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 4:49 pm

This will be a big red flag if picked up. It needs to be normalized ASAP.

Working Exp: Currently running his Indo business from SG

neolaw

Post by neolaw » Sat, 09 Aug 2014 6:45 pm

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I think my situation is similar (well not exact, it is just similar) as my girlfriend is a PR and I'm not.

My wife (to be in November '14): Burmese (Myanmar) PR working. Salary above 4K (before bonus and AWS). SG Government Uni Master Degree.

Me : Burmese EP holder. Salary above 4K (before bonus and AWS). SG Government Uni PhD. Working in an government research institute having a website ending with xxx.yyy.edu.sg but got PR rejected as single (in June '14).

Good idea for me to apply PR (again) in 2015 or wait longer?

Update: well, we may not have a baby in 2015 (these things need blessing, right?)

No idea is stupid. I would humbly ask your suggestions, speculations and ideas/alternatives.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 09 Aug 2014 8:57 pm

neolaw wrote:Sorry for hijacking this thread. I think my situation is similar (well not exact, it is just similar) as my girlfriend is a PR and I'm not.

My wife (to be in November '14): Burmese (Myanmar) PR working. Salary above 4K (before bonus and AWS). SG Government Uni Master Degree.

Me : Burmese EP holder. Salary above 4K (before bonus and AWS). SG Government Uni PhD. Working in an government research institute having a website ending with xxx.yyy.edu.sg but got PR rejected as single (in June '14).

Update: well, we may not have a baby in 2015 (these things need blessing, right?)

No idea is stupid. I would humbly ask your suggestions, speculations and ideas/alternatives.
it may be helpful for the other member s to know both your age/age range also.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

niceit198

Post by niceit198 » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 12:08 am

Questions:
1. Do I stand the chance of applying citizenship together with the baby now? Do your baby born ? after born if u are not citizen and your baby will not grant citizen on born in SG

neolaw

Post by neolaw » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 10:19 am

taxico wrote:
neolaw wrote:Sorry for hijacking this thread. I think my situation is similar (well not exact, it is just similar) as my girlfriend is a PR and I'm not.

it may be helpful for the other member s to know both your age/age range also.
Thanks for reply. Both of us are 30.