Singapore Expats

Applying PR: Should we wait or?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 11:18 am

neolaw wrote:
taxico wrote:
neolaw wrote:Sorry for hijacking this thread. I think my situation is similar (well not exact, it is just similar) as my girlfriend is a PR and I'm not.

My wife (to be in November '14): Burmese (Myanmar) PR working. Salary above 4K (before bonus and AWS). SG Government Uni Master Degree.

Me : Burmese EP holder. Salary above 4K (before bonus and AWS). SG Government Uni PhD. Working in an government research institute having a website ending with xxx.yyy.edu.sg but got PR rejected as single (in June '14).

Good idea for me to apply PR (again) in 2015 or wait longer?

Update: well, we may not have a baby in 2015 (these things need blessing, right?)

No idea is stupid. I would humbly ask your suggestions, speculations and ideas/alternatives.
it may be helpful for the other member s to know both your age/age range also.
Thanks for reply. Both of us are 30.
Get married, wait for a year or two, possibly have some offspring, get increase in your pay - pretty low for a PhD.

I found it funny that you see a potential importance of your employer having its website in the .edu.sg domain.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 8:41 am

PNGMK wrote:This will be a big red flag if picked up. It needs to be normalized ASAP.

Working Exp: Currently running his Indo business from SG
niceit198 wrote:Questions:
1. Do I stand the chance of applying citizenship together with the baby now? Do your baby born ? after born if u are not citizen and your baby will not grant citizen on born in SG
What's up with the random red text at the bottom of these posts? Moderator's touch?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 9:26 am

Not mine. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 1:13 pm

Not mine neither.

neolaw

Re:

Post by neolaw » Mon, 09 Feb 2015 4:48 pm

x9200 wrote:
Get married, wait for a year or two, possibly have some offspring, get increase in your pay - pretty low for a PhD.

I found it funny that you see a potential importance of your employer having its website in the .edu.sg domain.
Finally, got married.

Salary: Above 60K PA finally (before bonus and 13th month).

Work exp: 1 full year in current job. 7 months in prev start-up 7 months in uni.

One more publication in a research journal.

Trying again. :D

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Re:

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 10 Feb 2015 10:04 am

neolaw wrote:
x9200 wrote:

Finally, got married.

Work exp: 1 full year in current job. 7 months in prev start-up 7 months in uni.

Is your 13th month contractually guaranteed and fixed? If so it should count as a part of your annual salary. For example does your contract list your salary as 60k/13, or 60k/12?

Either way, your experience is still short and salary low. But feel free to try again.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:25 am

zzm9980 wrote:
neolaw wrote:
x9200 wrote:

Finally, got married.

Is your 13th month contractually guaranteed and fixed? If so it should count as a part of your annual salary. For example does your contract list your salary as 60k/13, or 60k/12?

Either way, your experience is still short and salary low. But feel free to try again.
You say salary low , but at that level the guy is more likely to stay in Singapore and unlikely to be moving overseas due to work or chasing the dollar.
If I was the Govt I would be more inclined to give PR to folk operating at that level than to someone who is on $200K+ for instance.
The objective of PR is for the person to be permanent and then take up citizenship right?
I would like to see the stats of folk who have been granted PR and then proceeded to Citizenship, I am guessing that the the vast majority who convert to Citizenship are in the sub 100K category.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 10 Feb 2015 12:44 pm

Barnsley wrote:You say salary low , but at that level the guy is more likely to stay in Singapore and unlikely to be moving overseas due to work or chasing the dollar.
If I was the Govt I would be more inclined to give PR to folk operating at that level than to someone who is on $200K+ for instance.
The objective of PR is for the person to be permanent and then take up citizenship right?
I would like to see the stats of folk who have been granted PR and then proceeded to Citizenship, I am guessing that the the vast majority who convert to Citizenship are in the sub 100K category.
The point is the salary should match somehow to the qualification and experience. If he is underpaid (and yes, he still is) it also may raise the red flag as this suggests that something is wrong with his qualifications or for example working habbits. I am not sure what would work more against, 200k or being underpaid. I would say the later. 200k alone is a positive thing and it is only bad if there are some other indicators (i.e. this is a 6th job of this person in the 4th country) suggesting the person may not be that willing to settle down in SG.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 10 Feb 2015 6:45 pm

Barnsley wrote: You say salary low , but at that level the guy is more likely to stay in Singapore and unlikely to be moving overseas due to work or chasing the dollar.
In addition to x92's good points, I look at this scenario the opposite way. The guy is on low salary with great qualifications. Why give him PR if there is a good chance he may get an offer for double or more that in another country in the near future? Think he will stay because he has PR? Or flee on the first flight?

neolaw

Re: Applying PR: Should we wait or?

Post by neolaw » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 5:15 pm

Thank you for your discussions. I know your views. I am really appreciated.

60K is before bonus, which is not guranteed, and before 13th month, which is guranteed.

This is my 3rd job in Singapore. Not 6th.