Singapore Expats

PR Chances / Using 3rd Party Legal Firms for PR Application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
G650

PR Chances / Using 3rd Party Legal Firms for PR Application

Post by G650 » Sat, 19 Jul 2014 10:48 pm

I'm currently in the process of applying for PR and I'm considering using a legal firm like Rivkin or Janus. The fee for using a legal firm can range from SGD 1,500 to SGD 3,500. This seems quite steep considering that the PR application is fairly straight forward in Singapore. However, I do like the idea of getting expert/legal advice while preparing a PR application. What are your opinions on this topic?

Here are my details:

Nationality: Sri Lankan
Marital Status: Single
Employer: German MNC
Work Pass: Employment Pass
Salary: SGD 3,900
Average Annual Compensation (Including Bonus): SGD 56,000
Work experience in Singapore: 3 years
Duration of stay in Singapore: 3 years and 2 months
Education: B.Comm from Canada, MBA from the US

I do see a value add in using expert advice to streamline the PR application. This can help iron out any inconsistencies and improve the strength of the application. However, I'm just wondering if this is really worth paying 1k-3.5k.

Also, being a Sri Lankan, will my race be categorized as "Indian"? I've always found this to be a bit odd. It's like categorizing a Korean as "Chinese". From reading some of the posts on this forum, I get the impression that race plays a key role in the outcome of the PR application. This is unfortunate. In general, I lean on the individualistic side and I'm weary of group identities (especially the involuntary kind) because I can only stand for my own choices and not for the choices of my "group". :-|

In any case, what would you say is my likelihood of getting the PR application approved? :)

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 19 Jul 2014 11:34 pm

I don't think your race will be categorized Indian. It will probably be "Other" or Srilankan. Regardless of that your chances of getting PR are bleak considering your salary. Also don't waste your money on any agency. My advise is save that money and apply for an Australian PR. As a Srilankan, you have better chances there. Also regardless of your skills you will make more money in Australia and have a better life there than here.

Think about it, so many Singaporeans themselves apply for Australia PR every year, there must be a reason.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Jul 2014 12:01 am

With your data set, like Wd40, I wouldn't give a wooden nickle for your chances of success. BUT, don't let that stop you from trying. After all, as long as you can stand rejection, you should be fine. I would agree on the Australia thing as you will still be considered a 2nd class person here by the locals. Now, if your skillset was a niche one and you were touching on P1 levels of income, you would at least have some chance, albeit, we've seen recently those with incomes much higher and still rejected and been here for quite a few years already. Good Luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Jul 2014 12:08 am

Regarding agencies. They cannot put anything on the form except what you tell them. They are nothing but glorified form fillers and they also reduce your chances of succeeding as the forms are so straight forward and simple, you cannot elaborate on them. Therefore they will go over your data and tell you if they think you will get it or not. If they determine you will not, they will not file for you as when they are unsuccessful, that is bad advertising. I know about using lawyers to file first hand. It took me another three years to get my PR. 10 years later, the same officer who gave me my PR told me a SICC function that when an ICA officer sees a form that has been filed by an agency or lawyer, they automatically go on the 'hunt' as normally the only people who use them are those who are otherwise not qualified and looking for an edge. Again, please don't let that stop you from using one, as you will just be enriching them with give away money. For them, they prey on folks like you. In fact, check their their ownership. They like to prey on their own. Doesn't make any difference to them as long as they get your money up front. They won't file until they are fully paid and it's not salvage rates but fixed, successful or not.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 20 Jul 2014 8:50 am

Save your money for your Australian application- seriously.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 8:26 am

From someone who has spent a reasonable percentage of their life filling out immigration type forms: do it yourself.

Unless someone else is paying the firm / consultant; then let them do it for you, but learn the process and double check them yourself. And usually, even when you engage someone, they still ask YOU to fill out the forms.....

The last time a company engaged a (Canadian) lawyer to do the paperwork (for Sri Lanka no less) they made a mistake and on arrival I was granted my residency permit and my wife was told she had 30 days visitor pass. We then ended up in a spat between the ministry of economic development (who would only recommend a visa for someone employed in Sri Lanka; they didn't understand someone wouldn't come unless their family came with them...) and the ministry of immigration who said they couldn't issue a dependent visa (contrary to their own regulations) without a supporting letter from the ministry of economic development.... story goes on for some time.

But moral of the story is the (Canadian) law firm shrugged and said 'oh, well we can't guarantee anything and I guess we didn't understand the process' and we were left to sort it out.... and still collected their fee.

My experience is all they do is fill-in the forms for you at an exorbitant rate and because they process large volumes and don't seem to be particularly vested in whether it's done correctly.

Immigration forms and processes always seem complicated but once you get used to them they are usually pretty straightforward.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 10:11 am

In conclusion, NOT WORTH using the agent. Do it yourself. It is very very straight forward and easy. You do not gain extra leverage using 3rd party.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 10:37 am

I would expect using an agent may work against the candidate as the need to employ a third party to do something that simple does not show a good picture of the candidate's everyday life skills/intelligence.