Singapore Expats Forum

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 'Shot Down In Ukraine...

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 19 Jul 2014 9:11 am

Sergei82 wrote:Despite the tragedy, Angela Merkel is calling for peaceful dialog and sees no reason to sanction Russia. Unlike all other European leaders, looks like she has a love affair with Putin. What to do with that bitch???

Related: http://www.economist.com/blogs/easterna ... h-politics

nanana
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2008

Postby nanana » Sat, 19 Jul 2014 10:02 am

x9200 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:This is how, according to Russian media version, Putin is usually flying from Warsaw to Moscow. Enjoy! :mrgreen:

It should be added why this was of any concern: some Russian media speculated that the Malaysian MH17 was shot down because the plane visually resembled (similar colors/patterns) the plane Putin traveled on on his official trips. This was later corrected by some representatives (probably already former representatives as of now) of the Russian airport Vnukowo who explained it was like this indeed but not true for many years already.



This is just not acceptable. It is a CRIME! I mean, if you are in the military, surely you are highly trained with eagle eye visions, and able to spot however minute that differences are. Whoever pulled the trigger to shoot down the plane...I'm not sure how one will sleep in peace at night...it is innocent lives we are talking about....

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sat, 19 Jul 2014 11:18 am

Mi Amigo wrote:That's the strangest looking 777 I've ever seen.


That's because it's a 747 (note the upper deck).

The irony is the 777 far more closely resembles the IL96 than the 747.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_pr ... l_aircraft
http://www.norebbo.com/wp-content/uploa ... rlines.jpg

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1650
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Sat, 19 Jul 2014 11:33 am

nanana wrote:
This is just not acceptable. It is a CRIME! I mean, if you are in the military, surely you are highly trained with eagle eye visions, and able to spot however minute that differences are. Whoever pulled the trigger to shoot down the plane...I'm not sure how one will sleep in peace at night...it is innocent lives we are talking about....



You make the mistake in assuming everyone with a gun is trained, and indeed even military until a few weeks or months ago.

Whilst it's true more training is required to fire a rocket you can put money on it still being a 20-something pimple faced scapegoat with his finger on the trigger.

A lot of us, certainly me on a Thai European flight, have flown this exact route in the past few weeks and it's a tragedy. Events have been left to fester for too long and on this case both the UN and NATO really need to get involved and put peacekeeping forces on the ground, even just to secure the crash site as a first excuse.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Sat, 19 Jul 2014 12:26 pm

Now imagine you are just a civilian turned rebel and you've just captured a buk. Now try to shoot down something from it:

Image

Definitely, shooting this thing doesn't need a special training... where - from youtube???

Now imagine that you learned how to shoot, try to take down a plane 10 km above you!

Btw, Russian media writes a lot about "eyewitnesses" of this plane... did somebody try to eyewitness something about an airplane which is 10 km above you???

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9288
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 19 Jul 2014 2:26 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:]


You make the mistake in assuming everyone with a gun is trained, and indeed even military until a few weeks or months ago.

Whilst it's true more training is required to fire a rocket you can put money on it still being a 20-something pimple faced scapegoat with his finger on the trigger..


well, during the Arab war with Israel Egypt shot down a few Israeli fighters ... though the shooting was done by Soviet 'advisors'

likewise in the Sri Lankan Civil war the Govt forces scored some spectacular hits ... only to unofficially admit later that the missions were "guided" by Ukrainian advisors ... and that too after a mig 27 had a runway excursion and out popped a Caucasian pilot who claimed he was doing test flights ...

in the current situation the so called rebels aren't a rag tag team, from what i understand if the Russian advisors are 'advising' I am sure they were the ones who did the targeting and firing ...

and for shooting in near clear skies I doubt they went through the aircraft recognition chart and did a query, .. etc

btw, I wonder why nobody remembers a few planes mistakenly shot down over Sahara ...

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Sat, 19 Jul 2014 5:05 pm

JR8 wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote:That's the strangest looking 777 I've ever seen.


That's because it's a 747 (note the upper deck).


Exactly. That was the point I was making. Obviously the 747 image was chosen because it looks more like the Russian plane.

What amazes me is how ham-fisted and amateurish some of the Russian propaganda is. It's like they don't care what anyone thinks and are just going through the motions (for internal as well as external consumption). As in, "What are you guys gonna do about it then?"

Seriously dodgy stuff, which (as x9200 mentions) follows the pattern of the Polish president's Tu-154 crash. See also Alexander Litvinenko. These people don't care about international law or anything else that stands in their way. Sadly though, they're not the only major power to fall into that category.
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sat, 19 Jul 2014 9:40 pm

Mi Amigo wrote: What amazes me is how ham-fisted and amateurish some of the Russian propaganda is. It's like they don't care what anyone thinks and are just going through the motions (for internal as well as external consumption). As in, "What are you guys gonna do about it then?"


Reminds me of another country. You know, that completely unnecessarily has fighter jets doing 'bombing runs' over the city centre each day.

Ham-fisted, amateurish, propoganada? Sure.

User avatar
AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun, 05 Jun 2011

Postby AndrewV » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 1:51 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote:That's the strangest looking 777 I've ever seen.


That's because it's a 747 (note the upper deck).


Exactly. That was the point I was making. Obviously the 747 image was chosen because it looks more like the Russian plane.

What amazes me is how ham-fisted and amateurish some of the Russian propaganda is. It's like they don't care what anyone thinks and are just going through the motions (for internal as well as external consumption). As in, "What are you guys gonna do about it then?"

Seriously dodgy stuff, which (as x9200 mentions) follows the pattern of the Polish president's Tu-154 crash. See also Alexander Litvinenko. These people don't care about international law or anything else that stands in their way. Sadly though, they're not the only major power to fall into that category.


This attitude is closely reflected by another entity in the middle east, and when such a stand is taken, the reaction by the rest of the world is different. :roll:

User avatar
Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun, 30 Dec 2012

Postby Aragorn2000 » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 4:30 pm

A sizeable part of the population in my home country is really pro-Russia and anti-US. Their comments on social media and online press are like this:

1. Russia and the separatists gain nothing but bad PR by shooting down a civilian plane. Why would they do that? Russians are also really nice and pleasant people. They could never commit such a crime!

2. On the other hand, it is the US and Ukraine who have much to gain from this tragedy. The Western world has to resort to desperate measures to isolate Russia. It's a conspiracy!

3. It is usually the perpetrators (insinuating the US and Ukraine) who cry foul the loudest!

So no matter how amateurish some propaganda is, many (I mean many) people still believe in it.

User avatar
Mexikaner
Member
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri, 03 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Mexikaner » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 5:23 pm

have you heard of #spainbuca ?

a supposed air traffic controller working in Kiev tweeting after the plane was shot down.

according to him the plane was shut down by Ukranian fighter planes...

there are always two sides to a story, aren't there?
"Lebe deinen Traum"

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 7:48 pm

Whatever the truth is if the wreckage become available for independent, impartial experts there will be no problem in determining the cause. The fingerprint of the weapon left on the wreckage is almost impossible to hide.

@Aragorn2000, I think the point is, hardly anybody claims the separatists did it on purpose. It was just a tragic mistake but it doesn't change the fact they, and their mighty supporters are to be blamed for it.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon, 19 Oct 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby scarbowl » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 9:23 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Despite the tragedy, Angela Merkel is calling for peaceful dialog and sees no reason to sanction Russia. Unlike all other European leaders, looks like she has a love affair with Putin. What to do with that bitch???
No need to be sexist. The person you really should be pissed at is Gerhard Schröder. A total sellout.

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 10:04 pm

Mexikaner wrote:have you heard of #spainbuca ?

a supposed air traffic controller working in Kiev tweeting after the plane was shot down.

according to him the plane was shut down by Ukranian fighter planes...

there are always two sides to a story, aren't there?

Airport dispatchers in Ukraine have requirements. One of them is Ukrainian citizenship. Ages old requirement. Obviously, the one who came out with this "version" knows very little about Ukraine.

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 10:12 pm

Aragorn2000 wrote:A sizeable part of the population in my home country is really pro-Russia and anti-US. Their comments on social media and online press are like this:

1. Russia and the separatists gain nothing but bad PR by shooting down a civilian plane. Why would they do that? Russians are also really nice and pleasant people. They could never commit such a crime!

2. On the other hand, it is the US and Ukraine who have much to gain from this tragedy. The Western world has to resort to desperate measures to isolate Russia. It's a conspiracy!

3. It is usually the perpetrators (insinuating the US and Ukraine) who cry foul the loudest!

So no matter how amateurish some propaganda is, many (I mean many) people still believe in it.

Everybody knows the plane was shot down by idiotic mistake with Russian weapon, stop this shit. I am telling you as a Russian speaking Ukrainian from Donetsk. Today terrorists mounted anti-aircraft cannons on my parents' house. They dun give shit about civilian lives. Clearly that is a fault of US, isnt it?

Logic of a retarded Russian scumbag:

America wanted to attack Russia, so it arranged revolution in Ukraine.
Therefore Russia had to annex Crimea, so America can't attack Russia.
Therefore America ordered to attack East of Ukraine, so it can attack Russia.
Therefore local "heroes" in the East of Ukraine rebelled so America can't attack Russia.
Therefore America ordered to shoot down MH17 so now it can attack Russia for sure!
(applause, lights off)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests