Singapore Expats

Citizenship application rejected

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Citizenship application rejected

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 1:56 pm

the lynx wrote:
Primrose Hill wrote:[]
Really? Ideal timing for citizenship is 2nd renewal of REP?
Interesting
Ideally. Of course some can get it earlier but only those special some
the few cases I know were successful after 1 REP renewal ...

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 3:48 pm

I am just curious, what happens if you apply for citizenship and you are successful and say for someone like myself, what happens to the UK passport?
Will the SG demand the surrender of the passport?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 3:56 pm

Primrose Hill wrote:I am just curious, what happens if you apply for citizenship and you are successful and say for someone like myself, what happens to the UK passport?
Well I personally do not know about this but if in your case, Singapore will remind you that you have a UK citizenship to renounce if you're taking Singaporean citizenship. Plus they don't allow dual citizenship.

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 4:29 pm

the lynx wrote:
Primrose Hill wrote:I am just curious, what happens if you apply for citizenship and you are successful and say for someone like myself, what happens to the UK passport?
Well I personally do not know about this but if in your case, Singapore will remind you that you have a UK citizenship to renounce if you're taking Singaporean citizenship. Plus they don't allow dual citizenship.
Thank you. I was curious, that's all. I doubt there's a need to apply for the citizenship as long as the govt allows us to keep renewing our REP

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 5:44 pm

the lynx, beyond reminding

the process is you need to go to your embassy / high commission, renounce your citizenship, then submit the document stating so to ICA or ICA will not complete the rest of the process, IC, passport etc, and the candidate is stateless for a day or two, between you renouncing the previous citizenship and getting SG papers. and no traveling till the SG passport is issued ....

I assisted a couple, but most embassies / high commissions know the drill, I am sure

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 8:31 pm

Barnsley wrote: If they dont even live in Singapore how will they even get a PR renewal???
Unfortunately there are lot of workarounds to this as long as you are working in Singapore.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 8:39 pm

FaeLLe wrote:
Barnsley wrote: If they dont even live in Singapore how will they even get a PR renewal???
Unfortunately there are lot of workarounds to this as long as you are working in Singapore.
I've renewed my REP twice while working overseas. It is possible.