Singapore Expats

Should I accept the job offer?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
art08

Should I accept the job offer?

Post by art08 » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 2:27 am

Hello guys, I am a young architect from Spain. I graduated this year (Master's degree) and I have worked as an intern for 1 year in my country. I have a job offer from Singapore for 3500 SGD/month. Do you think it is ok for my qualifications or should I bargain?
Thanks for your help.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 3:41 am

This is a good offer for an (almost) fresh graduate - by local standards.
However, given the high rents, you'll have to share an apartment.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Should I accept the job offer?

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 5:00 am

art08 wrote:Hello guys, I am a young architect from Spain. I graduated this year (Master's degree) and I have worked as an intern for 1 year in my country. I have a job offer from Singapore for 3500 SGD/month. Do you think it is ok for my qualifications or should I bargain?
Thanks for your help.
Has your company applied for your employment pass yet? You need to know that the government is going to let the company actually hire you for that amount of money.

art08

Post by art08 » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 5:51 am

They told me that they are going to apply for S pass. Is there any difference for me if i have S-pass instead of Employment pass?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 8:25 am

art08 wrote:They told me that they are going to apply for S pass. Is there any difference for me if i have S-pass instead of Employment pass?
Yes there are differences. Read here for details:
http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 9:37 am

art08 wrote:They told me that they are going to apply for S pass. Is there any difference for me if i have S-pass instead of Employment pass?
In terms of benefits, under S Pass, you can't apply for credit card, bring more of your dependants here, borrow a book from library, be eligible for certain promotions for wellness packages, etc.

I think what you're earning is OK based on your experience. I have met some foreigner architects who earn less. More is better. I'd be more concerned if MOM approves your company's application for you in your current package. They have been tightening on foreign professionals.

art08

Post by art08 » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 6:05 pm

thanks a lot for the answers.
the lynx is it really that difficult to get an s pass? i thought having a masters degree and salary of 3500 would be enough.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 9:12 pm

In MOM's eyes, if the position only calls for a B.Sc/BA and you have a Masters or PhD you better be offered a heck of a lot more than a basic 3.5K. They look at the job and the JD of the job. If there are, what they think, sufficient locals with the necessary qualifications for the position, it doesn't matter how much additional credentials you have if it isn't necessary for that given position and salary on offer.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 9:35 pm

I know a lot of Brit Arch. graduates get a start in their career. Not exciting work though.

art08

Post by art08 » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 2:47 pm

My application was indeed rejected and the reason was that I am not qualified.
However, after some discussion with the company they offered to raise the salary to 4000 SGD and apply again. Do you think it will make any change or is it worthless?
MOM s self assessment test says i am eligible for EP with this salary (with the previous salary it was saying that i am eligible only for S pass).
Do you have any idea why mom thinks I am not qualified? The level of my studies is very good, so is it because of lack of work experience or because i am underpaid?
thanks for the help

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 3:53 pm

art08 wrote:My application was indeed rejected and the reason was that I am not qualified.
However, after some discussion with the company they offered to raise the salary to 4000 SGD and apply again. Do you think it will make any change or is it worthless?
MOM s self assessment test says i am eligible for EP with this salary (with the previous salary it was saying that i am eligible only for S pass).
Do you have any idea why mom thinks I am not qualified? The level of my studies is very good, so is it because of lack of work experience or because i am underpaid?
thanks for the help
I doubt it will make a difference, since MoM already rejected your previous application. They will most likely just assume that the company is either doing salary stuffing, or fishing for the minimum eligible salary. There have been too many cases of salary stuffing over the years - i.e., the salary was raised on paper, but the actual amount paid out to the employee was lower than the amount mentioned in the application to MoM.

Also, the salary is still pretty much on the lowest end of the EP salary scale.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 4:11 pm

Would agree with AMG. Additionally, if the increase was sufficient enough, it could also cause the business to be investigated for the mentioned salary stuffing, unless the second application was through a different company. It could have been a combination of low salary and insufficient experience or either of them alone. MOM holds their cards very closely to their chest to prevent getting tailor-made applications to fit their algorithms.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 8:43 am

...and there is a growing number of local graduates in architecture. So priority to hire locals over foreigners is a huge factor now.