Singapore Expats Forum

Duvet vs. sheets?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Singapore Movers

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 14 Jul 2014 2:33 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:thin sheets + sleeping in undies + pedestal fan ftw
I'd recommend getting a dyson fan it is amazing

Image


I bet you buy Bose "home theaters" and Beats headphones too? :p


I hate Bose products with a passion :x , but the dysons make zero noise and the only fan noise i can tolerate is those creaky ceiling fans, these plastic pedestal fans make a noise that is annoying and irritates me
nothing beats a purring ceiling fan noise, I swear the one in my dad's bedroom keeps saying farkyoufarkyoufarkyoufarkyou
keep saying that 1800 times a minute and you'll get the idea. :lol:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Mon, 14 Jul 2014 4:25 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:thin sheets + sleeping in undies + pedestal fan ftw
I'd recommend getting a dyson fan it is amazing



Why are they amazing? I'm genuinely interested.

Edit: Our posts crossed. Silence would be good and I guess they don't need cleaning either.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 14 Jul 2014 4:34 pm

bgd wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:thin sheets + sleeping in undies + pedestal fan ftw
I'd recommend getting a dyson fan it is amazing



Why are they amazing? I'm genuinely interested.

Edit: Our posts crossed. Silence would be good and I guess they don't need cleaning either.


same reasons as yours I guess, they are silent,minimal cleaning, the pedestal fans are dust collectors, they just accumulate all the dust in the house and blow it at your face.
plus aesthetically the dysons are very nice, I'd never seen something like that in India, I was genuinely impressed with them.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed, 23 Oct 2013
Location: Way out West

Postby CaptainBullus » Mon, 14 Jul 2014 7:27 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:thin sheets + sleeping in undies + pedestal fan ftw
I'd recommend getting a dyson fan it is amazing

Image


Ooh I was looking at these...where would be the cheapest/best place to buy one, Courts or would Mustafa sell them?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 14 Jul 2014 7:54 pm

Regular fan = $30-40. Dyson = maybe $500 ?

Got to be some kind of super special blow-job to justify that margin :lol: :roll: :P

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 7:31 am

JR8 wrote:Regular fan = $30-40. Dyson = maybe $500 ?

Got to be some kind of super special blow-job to justify that margin :lol: :roll: :P


Or *really really* lazy to clean the dust. My $20 crap fans from Giant were almost silent too. They just had to be cleaned once a month (5-10 mins).

uscate
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon, 19 Dec 2011
Location: Bahstin

Postby uscate » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 8:01 am

JR8 wrote: (and cars 'horning', and others then 'revenge-horning, then sometimes the highly flamboyant revenge-revenge-horning which one visualises must almost rattle all the Hello Kitty dolls inside the horner's vehicle :???: :lol:


Thank you JR8 - this gave me a good laugh this morning! :D

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11108
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 10:17 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
bgd wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:thin sheets + sleeping in undies + pedestal fan ftw
I'd recommend getting a dyson fan it is amazing



Why are they amazing? I'm genuinely interested.

Edit: Our posts crossed. Silence would be good and I guess they don't need cleaning either.


same reasons as yours I guess, they are silent,minimal cleaning, the pedestal fans are dust collectors, they just accumulate all the dust in the house and blow it at your face.
plus aesthetically the dysons are very nice, I'd never seen something like that in India, I was genuinely impressed with them.


I bet the fan inside it gets dirty, just like a standard fan... in fact, I know it. You've got to clean the Dyson as well.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 11:42 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
I bet the fan inside it gets dirty, just like a standard fan... in fact, I know it. You've got to clean the Dyson as well.


I did a little reading on the net. I quite like the idea of a silent fan that you don't need to clean.

It seems that you need to have them turned up pretty high to get a good airflow. High = noise, they only seem to be quiet on the lower settings.

Cleaning is fine if you are only wiping the circular piece. The base has a series of micro holes to suck in air (and dust). Not sure how easy it is to clean but if it's anything like my computer it will get clogged pretty quickly.

In short, not as good as it seems, I'm staying with my $20 unit from Giant.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11108
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 12:00 pm

bgd wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
I bet the fan inside it gets dirty, just like a standard fan... in fact, I know it. You've got to clean the Dyson as well.


I did a little reading on the net. I quite like the idea of a silent fan that you don't need to clean.

It seems that you need to have them turned up pretty high to get a good airflow. High = noise, they only seem to be quiet on the lower settings.

Cleaning is fine if you are only wiping the circular piece. The base has a series of micro holes to suck in air (and dust). Not sure how easy it is to clean but if it's anything like my computer it will get clogged pretty quickly.

In short, not as good as it seems, I'm staying with my $20 unit from Giant.


The Dyson has a bog standard fan hidden in the base... how else is it generating the air flow?

And bog standard fans are subject to the laws of physics... there is at least one layer of air molecules attached to the fan blade... how else would dust stick if the blade was wiped clean by air?

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 12:09 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
bgd wrote:
The Dyson has a bog standard fan hidden in the base... how else is it generating the air flow?

And bog standard fans are subject to the laws of physics... there is at least one layer of air molecules attached to the fan blade... how else would dust stick if the blade was wiped clean by air?


Physics can be a bugger!

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 12:27 pm

I saw a few chinese dysons in some shops ,someone took a dyson apart and managed to duplicate it somehow.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 16 Jul 2014 12:10 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I saw a few chinese dysons in some shops ,someone took a dyson apart and managed to duplicate it somehow.


It's not some amazingly unique and mysterious perpetual motion machine... It's a fan where the plans are inside the base.

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed, 23 Oct 2013
Location: Way out West

Postby CaptainBullus » Wed, 16 Jul 2014 2:53 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
The Dyson has a bog standard fan hidden in the base... how else is it generating the air flow?

And bog standard fans are subject to the laws of physics... there is at least one layer of air molecules attached to the fan blade... how else would dust stick if the blade was wiped clean by air?


maybe not what you'd call a 'bog standard' fan. This explains it all pretty well...

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ga ... s-fan1.htm

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11108
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 16 Jul 2014 7:35 am

CaptainBullus wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
The Dyson has a bog standard fan hidden in the base... how else is it generating the air flow?

And bog standard fans are subject to the laws of physics... there is at least one layer of air molecules attached to the fan blade... how else would dust stick if the blade was wiped clean by air?


maybe not what you'd call a 'bog standard' fan. This explains it all pretty well...

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ga ... s-fan1.htm


He had to do some research to make it quiet... but the fact is that model 1 had a standard propeller type fan blade whereas, as far as I can tell, model 2 uses a squirrel cage blower. That's what I meant by bog standard. This fan will get dirty.

Either way... I really have to question the numbers tossed about in the article... $60 million towards research... I just dunno.

Agree with the ability to push more air via inducement and entrainment... what is lacking in the article is efficiency stats... I seriously doubt this can push any more air than a standard 35 or 40 watt, 16 inch fan.

I had a nice pedestal fan... 5 blade that was very quiet at moderate speeds... think it cost me about $70 at Harvey-Norman... and I could easily clean the blades.

I judge the fan is a gimmick that will add to Dyson's fortune.


Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest