Singapore Expats

Sundry humour

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Sundry humour

Post by JR8 » Tue, 21 Jul 2015 10:40 pm

:-D
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 22 Jul 2015 8:27 pm

Ah you see, I don't get the social connotations at all.
Now if it were a Pontiac Firebird, or Trans-Am, or pimped muscle-car (?) then they are a bit bengy, right? [squint]... hmm I don't know. They might be bengy in Europe, but noble in the US :)
That Ford truck rather stopped me in my tracks as I don't think i've seen a truck that big before, and I was imagining the fun of driving it. Given how light it must be on top of that engine, it's surely a heck of a lot of fun.
Indeed I thought the F350 was as high as that Ford range went. The latter described in awe-struck tones by my red-neck cop ex-FIL as 'Well... you could winch a goddam tree right through the goddam cabin in that goddam thing'... or something like that lol.

Interesting how makes/models all carry connotations. The Porsche 911 is a penis extension, apparently, and so on. The Maserati is the poor mans Italian super-car (certainly poorer once he pays for the servicing on it's $hitty build quality lol). Actually one could argue a Jag is similar, though I think brand-loyalty and patriotism comes more into play there. Ironically Jag is now Indian or something isn't it? Mini is equally as 'patriotic', despite being.... German now?

You could research and create a chart/graph about 'what a car says about you'. I've heard a 911 is a joy to drive, but I wouldn't want to be identified with it's stereotyped image (moneyed, young, brash/arrogant etc). I was having a pipe-dream re: an audi R8 a while back, apparently better than the 911 but with none of the social baggage. Maybe in 20 years time when they have become affordable classic cars I'll look again . But then by then perhaps they will be real 'uncle cars' :)

--- Same way I bought a 73/74 Chevy Malibu in the US, and had a hoot owning such a huuuge car. I could get 4 people across the front bench seat, and another 4/+ in the back. It was just very different and fun to drive. I was surprised one day when a neighbour pointed out that as it was post-'73, and an L6 rather than a V8 it was considered a real old-granny car. Didn't matter to me though... I still really enjoyed the time I owned it...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 22 Jul 2015 11:13 pm

If you had that truck in Texas, first thing you'd do is jack it up another 8 to 12 inches with a lift kit and dual offroad shocks on each axle. Then dump those wussy tires and replace with giant offroad mudders with terminal blackout rims.

Be sure to replace those stock exhausts with something 'free flowing' because, 'loud pipes save lives', as well as waking the dead. Replace stock bumpers with 1/4 plate steel "brush bumpers"... ya just never know when sage or the occasional cactus is going to get in your way in the big city.

To complete your package, place a confederate flag in the back window, plus at least a couple of bumper stickers such as "Hang the bitch from Benghazi", or maybe, "I love the Donald", or maybe, "Impeach Obama".

To enhance your driving experience, git on down to the nearest icehouse, pour down 5 or 6 Buds and swap stories about scaring the shit out of Mexicans driving Honda Civics. Then, jump into your dickmobile and tailgate folks at 65 mph down the freeway. It's the good ole boy thang to do!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Jul 2015 6:57 am

Especially with what looks to be a Radio Controlled model truck. lol
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 23 Jul 2015 7:27 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Especially with what looks to be a Radio Controlled model truck. lol
True, dat. A couple of replacements, then. The signs on the truck belong to my neighbor down the street.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Jul 2015 10:39 am

The first one might be a neighbor, but he's definitely not a Texan. Or are Texans now flying the Confederate Flag instead of the Texas Star. In fact, looks like he's got 'bama plates (at least on the front) which would also explain the flag. The second one looks suspect as well, as I can't see any gun rack or big truck mirrors even though I see a ball hitch on the bumper. Can see they don't like Hillary too much. Not much I can say there. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 23 Jul 2015 12:32 pm

The white truck is 4 doors down from me. 6 doors down from me my neighbor was flying the confederate battle flag, now the flag of the confederate union... the circle of stars.

Daily, there are trucks on the road in Houston sporting confederate flags. I won't pull one off the internet... give me a day or so to take an actual pic.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Jul 2015 1:32 pm

Wow, back in the day when I was stationed at Ft. Wolters (Mineral Wells) I spent lots of time in the Dallas-Ft.Worth area and I don't remember ever seeing any type of flag from the confederacy. Lots flying the state flag though. Seems that lots of things have changed. (of course that was several lifetimes ago!) before heading over the big pond the first time. I keep fergettin' I've put on a few pounds and a lot more years! :-(

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 01 Aug 2015 7:38 am

Okay, I know it is tragic what happened to that mom who died but this is still lol.

http://fooyoh.com/iamchiq_living_lifest ... c-accident

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 01 Aug 2015 8:39 am

earthfriendly wrote:Okay, I know it is tragic what happened to that mom who died but this is still lol.

http://fooyoh.com/iamchiq_living_lifest ... c-accident
If these people are so afraid, why don't they use some real stair?

I live in a condo where a locally weird phenomena happens. People use stairs instead of a lift. This happens in a multi-storey car park. It's a complex puzzle because there is another, large group of people who park their cars on the upper floors (3rd to 5th) even if the 1st and 2nd are relatively empty and there is only one exit from the carpark via the 1st level. Those who part on the 2nd floor (and perhaps even higher) seem to prefer stairs and I am talking about climbing, not descending. I've never seen anything like this in SG before.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 01 Aug 2015 4:09 pm

Meanwhile in Poland...
----------------------------

'Party badger found passed out surrounded by beer bottles on the beach'
http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/30/party-bad ... h-5319138/

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 12 Aug 2015 9:28 pm

Russian and Ukrainian mafia (allegedly) tombstones.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 13 Aug 2015 10:08 am

x9200 wrote:Russian and Ukrainian mafia (allegedly) tombstones.
Confirmation that money will buy you riches but not class...

...that extends into the afterlife apparently.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 13 Aug 2015 10:50 am

I particularly like Daewoo Lanos as the post-mortem, richness indicator.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daewoo_Lanos

kaseyma
Chatter
Chatter

Post by kaseyma » Thu, 13 Aug 2015 6:49 pm

x9200 wrote:I live in a condo where a locally weird phenomena happens. People use stairs instead of a lift. This happens in a multi-storey car park. It's a complex puzzle because there is another, large group of people who park their cars on the upper floors (3rd to 5th) even if the 1st and 2nd are relatively empty and there is only one exit from the carpark via the 1st level. Those who part on the 2nd floor (and perhaps even higher) seem to prefer stairs and I am talking about climbing, not descending. I've never seen anything like this in SG before.
Got to get your exercise one way or another.
8-)