Singapore Expats

eating clean near far east

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
shihao20

eating clean near far east

Post by shihao20 » Wed, 09 Jul 2014 11:32 pm

Hi Guys, I had just shifted my office to far east. anyone knows anywhere that sells salad nearby?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: eating clean near far east

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 10 Jul 2014 8:29 am

shihao20 wrote:Hi Guys, I had just shifted my office to far east. anyone knows anywhere that sells salad nearby?
far east plaza ? far east shopping center? or far east like Changi Airport?

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 10 Jul 2014 8:52 am

I think he may mean China too :?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: eating clean near far east

Post by JR8 » Thu, 10 Jul 2014 10:08 am

shihao20 wrote:Hi Guys, I had just shifted my office to far east. anyone knows anywhere that sells salad nearby?
2nd post in 8 years, hmmm.

What next, you answer your own question?

Nicole80

Post by Nicole80 » Sat, 02 Aug 2014 2:41 pm

Far East beside the Hyatt hotel ? If so, I think there are a lot of eatery. I normally love the Indonesian food at 4th floor and also the yong to fu.

But they have a lot of stall in 1st floor which feel like basement to me.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 02 Aug 2014 5:45 pm

Nicole80 wrote:Far East beside the Hyatt hotel ? If so, I think there are a lot of eatery. I normally love the Indonesian food at 4th floor and also the yong to fu.

But they have a lot of stall in 1st floor which feel like basement to me.
[My bold]

Neither of which is salad, which is what he asked about!

You might as well have posted about soup and a steak dinner :???:

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 9:54 am

Salad Stop is all over Singapore. Pretty easy to find.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 10:44 am

Aren't salad prices a bit over the top here? I've seen places which charge about 6-12$ for a small to med sized bowl and they aren't really that great.
its better to make them at home, can't be that hard or time consuming to chop a few veggies and add a bit of dressing on them.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 10:53 am

I've been doing just that for the past 6 years. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 1:01 pm

Yep, I used to use Saladstop, but, it was really pricey. My maid now makes me a salad everyday and I bring it in with me :)
nutnut

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 1:14 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Aren't salad prices a bit over the top here? I've seen places which charge about 6-12$ for a small to med sized bowl and they aren't really that great.
its better to make them at home, can't be that hard or time consuming to chop a few veggies and add a bit of dressing on them.
Variety for vegetables comes at a premium in Singapore. Even just buying the ingredients at Fairprice Xtra/Finest or Cold Storage is still expensive.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 2:29 pm

nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Aren't salad prices a bit over the top here? I've seen places which charge about 6-12$ for a small to med sized bowl and they aren't really that great.
Variety for vegetables comes at a premium in Singapore. Even just buying the ingredients at Fairprice Xtra/Finest or Cold Storage is still expensive.
yes but only an idiot would buy veggies in Fairprice Xtra/Cold storage or market place, try the local markets, they sell almost everything you need.
for eg I would buy a kilo of those small ripe tomatoes for 5$ in cold storage about 250gm of that is 5$
for 10-15$ I could buy enough veggies to make me salad four times a week for 1 person

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 3:53 pm

I agree. I can make a very delicious salad twice the portion for five meals with the money spend in Salad Stop for a very regular (and small) $12 x 5 days.

Be creative with what you put into your salad. Sometimes you can add sliced eggs, sometimes nuts, sometimes salmon slices. With flavourful ingredients like olives and raisins, you don't need those greasy dressings!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 4:08 pm

Here is what i do:

at the local vegetable vendor:

1. 2 romaine lettuce 3.00
2. 1/2 kilo tomatoes - 2.50
3. 6 peppers ( red,green, yellow) - 5$
4. 1 bunch of green onion - 1.00
5. 1 bunch of parsley 1.00
6. 1/2 kilo of baby cucumbers 2.50

cost: 15$

at cold storage/mustafa/fairprice

1. feta cheese - 5.00
2. pack of almonds 7.00
3. pack of walnuts 3.50
4. pack of brazil nuts 6.00
5. salad dressing 6.00
6. pack of croutons - 4.00
cost : approx 30$

grand total - 45 - 50$

keep in mind the nuts will last you for at least 1-2 months so in the end the cost per salad bowl is pretty low
:cool:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 05 Aug 2014 7:12 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
nakatago wrote:
yes but only an idiot would buy veggies in Fairprice Xtra/Cold storage or market place, try the local markets, they sell almost everything you need.
for eg I would buy a kilo of those small ripe tomatoes for 5$ in cold storage about 250gm of that is 5$
for 10-15$ I could buy enough veggies to make me salad four times a week for 1 person
Yeah, but after a while, you'll get tired of lettuce. I personally don't have a problem of mixing things up since I can be pretty creative but going to the local market has the inherent risk of the ang moh tax.

And if I may just say this: the market in Holland Village is pretty corporate drone friendly since you can still buy vegetables at 6pm.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."