Singapore Expats Forum

eating clean near far east

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.

Sponsored by:

Hotel Booking
shihao20
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 2:37 pm
Location: Singapore

eating clean near far east

Post by shihao20 » Wed, 09 Jul 2014 11:32 pm

Hi Guys, I had just shifted my office to far east. anyone knows anywhere that sells salad nearby?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: eating clean near far east

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 10 Jul 2014 8:29 am

shihao20 wrote:Hi Guys, I had just shifted my office to far east. anyone knows anywhere that sells salad nearby?
far east plaza ? far east shopping center? or far east like Changi Airport?

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Location: Singapore

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 10 Jul 2014 8:52 am

I think he may mean China too :?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: eating clean near far east

Post by JR8 » Thu, 10 Jul 2014 10:08 am

shihao20 wrote:Hi Guys, I had just shifted my office to far east. anyone knows anywhere that sells salad nearby?
2nd post in 8 years, hmmm.

What next, you answer your own question?

Nicole80
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 1:17 pm

Post by Nicole80 » Sat, 02 Aug 2014 2:41 pm

Far East beside the Hyatt hotel ? If so, I think there are a lot of eatery. I normally love the Indonesian food at 4th floor and also the yong to fu.

But they have a lot of stall in 1st floor which feel like basement to me.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Sat, 02 Aug 2014 5:45 pm

Nicole80 wrote:Far East beside the Hyatt hotel ? If so, I think there are a lot of eatery. I normally love the Indonesian food at 4th floor and also the yong to fu.

But they have a lot of stall in 1st floor which feel like basement to me.
[My bold]

Neither of which is salad, which is what he asked about!

You might as well have posted about soup and a steak dinner :???:

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 9:54 am

Salad Stop is all over Singapore. Pretty easy to find.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Location: Singapore

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 10:44 am

Aren't salad prices a bit over the top here? I've seen places which charge about 6-12$ for a small to med sized bowl and they aren't really that great.
its better to make them at home, can't be that hard or time consuming to chop a few veggies and add a bit of dressing on them.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36596
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 10:53 am

I've been doing just that for the past 6 years. :cool:

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1854
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:20 am
Location: The Mainland....

Post by nutnut » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 1:01 pm

Yep, I used to use Saladstop, but, it was really pricey. My maid now makes me a salad everyday and I bring it in with me :)
nutnut

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 1:14 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Aren't salad prices a bit over the top here? I've seen places which charge about 6-12$ for a small to med sized bowl and they aren't really that great.
its better to make them at home, can't be that hard or time consuming to chop a few veggies and add a bit of dressing on them.
Variety for vegetables comes at a premium in Singapore. Even just buying the ingredients at Fairprice Xtra/Finest or Cold Storage is still expensive.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Location: Singapore

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 2:29 pm

nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Aren't salad prices a bit over the top here? I've seen places which charge about 6-12$ for a small to med sized bowl and they aren't really that great.
its better to make them at home, can't be that hard or time consuming to chop a few veggies and add a bit of dressing on them.
Variety for vegetables comes at a premium in Singapore. Even just buying the ingredients at Fairprice Xtra/Finest or Cold Storage is still expensive.
yes but only an idiot would buy veggies in Fairprice Xtra/Cold storage or market place, try the local markets, they sell almost everything you need.
for eg I would buy a kilo of those small ripe tomatoes for 5$ in cold storage about 250gm of that is 5$
for 10-15$ I could buy enough veggies to make me salad four times a week for 1 person
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 3:53 pm

I agree. I can make a very delicious salad twice the portion for five meals with the money spend in Salad Stop for a very regular (and small) $12 x 5 days.

Be creative with what you put into your salad. Sometimes you can add sliced eggs, sometimes nuts, sometimes salmon slices. With flavourful ingredients like olives and raisins, you don't need those greasy dressings!

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Location: Singapore

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 4:08 pm

Here is what i do:

at the local vegetable vendor:

1. 2 romaine lettuce 3.00
2. 1/2 kilo tomatoes - 2.50
3. 6 peppers ( red,green, yellow) - 5$
4. 1 bunch of green onion - 1.00
5. 1 bunch of parsley 1.00
6. 1/2 kilo of baby cucumbers 2.50

cost: 15$

at cold storage/mustafa/fairprice

1. feta cheese - 5.00
2. pack of almonds 7.00
3. pack of walnuts 3.50
4. pack of brazil nuts 6.00
5. salad dressing 6.00
6. pack of croutons - 4.00
cost : approx 30$

grand total - 45 - 50$

keep in mind the nuts will last you for at least 1-2 months so in the end the cost per salad bowl is pretty low
:cool:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Tue, 05 Aug 2014 7:12 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Aren't salad prices a bit over the top here? I've seen places which charge about 6-12$ for a small to med sized bowl and they aren't really that great.
its better to make them at home, can't be that hard or time consuming to chop a few veggies and add a bit of dressing on them.
Variety for vegetables comes at a premium in Singapore. Even just buying the ingredients at Fairprice Xtra/Finest or Cold Storage is still expensive.
yes but only an idiot would buy veggies in Fairprice Xtra/Cold storage or market place, try the local markets, they sell almost everything you need.
for eg I would buy a kilo of those small ripe tomatoes for 5$ in cold storage about 250gm of that is 5$
for 10-15$ I could buy enough veggies to make me salad four times a week for 1 person
Yeah, but after a while, you'll get tired of lettuce. I personally don't have a problem of mixing things up since I can be pretty creative but going to the local market has the inherent risk of the ang moh tax.

And if I may just say this: the market in Holland Village is pretty corporate drone friendly since you can still buy vegetables at 6pm.

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Entertainment, Leisure & Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests