Singapore Expats

End of shopping and makan trips to JB?

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

End of shopping and makan trips to JB?

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 05 Jul 2014 2:45 am

LTA is raising the levy for foreign cars entering Singapore, so Malaysia is going to impose its own fee (S$20) for foreign cars entering Malaysia. I say good for them, can't wait to see what the local reaction is. :)

http://www.malaysia-chronicle.com/index ... z36WiIOxlK

http://www.todayonline.com/world/asia/k ... g-malaysia

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sat, 05 Jul 2014 7:50 am

Tit for tat, isn't it.

I'm wondering was pissed Sing off in the first place, provoking the first increase. I love how they do these things here...just announce it, done. No explanation or justification. No info on what they plan to do with the money.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 05 Jul 2014 8:10 am

"In a move aimed at relieving traffic on Singapore’s borders"

For the Malaysian side I think they should have it really carefully considered before introducing something similar. I don't think the income received from the fees will compensate the loses of the local companies.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Sat, 05 Jul 2014 10:04 am

Some vindictive datuk probably blew his Pavlovian mouth off, which then necessitated the official communique that Malaysia won't be doing any tit-for-tatting.

Indeed, there's no need for any hike on their side: they're on the happy side of the equation after all. Why would they ever want to pinch the SGD free-flow?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 05 Jul 2014 2:29 pm

Max Headroom wrote:Some vindictive datuk probably blew his Pavlovian mouth off, which then necessitated the official communique that Malaysia won't be doing any tit-for-tatting.
Indeed, there's no need for any hike on their side: they're on the happy side of the equation after all. Why would they ever want to pinch the SGD free-flow?
Absolutely first-class turn of phrase there! :lol:

As others have observed it's classic diplomatic (undiplomatic?) tit-for-tat. You see it quite commonly with visas, country #A starts requiring a visa for nationals of country #B (for reasonable reasons), so country #B imposes the same on #A (for no reasonable reasons) The tourist visa fees imposed by India are perhaps a good example of the latter.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 05 Jul 2014 11:40 pm

Max Headroom wrote:Some vindictive datuk probably blew his Pavlovian mouth off, which then necessitated the official communique that Malaysia won't be doing any tit-for-tatting.

Oh, did they already say they won't be doing this? Not surprised.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 06 Jul 2014 12:52 am

More to the point, why would anyone want to go to JB. It holds out some kind of promise to the newbie, of 'bargains', or at least 'good value', but in the event it is just a horrible utter dump that you never wish to visit again.

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Mon, 07 Jul 2014 10:01 am

JR8 wrote:More to the point, why would anyone want to go to JB. It holds out some kind of promise to the newbie, of 'bargains', or at least 'good value', but in the event it is just a horrible utter dump that you never wish to visit again.
Dont agree completely, it is definitely not typical weekend getaway spot. But the food there is much more "asian" than whatever you can get here within the island. I have few colleagues who everyday do a cross country drive to reach office in Changi, and quite frequently they "tar pao" from JB for the local guys at office. Personally me too feel that the food tastes much better once you cross Causeway.
Probably Malaysian gahmen is counting on this, and thats why going with a tit-for-tat response.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 07 Jul 2014 10:24 am

proxymoron wrote:
JR8 wrote:More to the point, why would anyone want to go to JB. It holds out some kind of promise to the newbie, of 'bargains', or at least 'good value', but in the event it is just a horrible utter dump that you never wish to visit again.
Dont agree completely, it is definitely not typical weekend getaway spot. But the food there is much more "asian" than whatever you can get here within the island. I have few colleagues who everyday do a cross country drive to reach office in Changi, and quite frequently they "tar pao" from JB for the local guys at office. Personally me too feel that the food tastes much better once you cross Causeway.
Probably Malaysian gahmen is counting on this, and thats why going with a tit-for-tat response.
just talking about Indian food, the JB south Indian joints / mamak shops taste much tastier than the SG South Indian restaurants, and cost a fraction ..

Plus the local mamak shops don't stand a choice with the Malaysian Mamak Shops

I had a few friends who went to JB and when they had a dosa decide to have 6 each .. as they kept swearing it is as tasty as it gets back home ..

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 07 Jul 2014 10:39 am

I day-tripped there once or twice and the food was a real let down .... nasty, like cheap/bad food-court food all the dishes piled onto one plate.

Do you have any suggestions where to get the mentioned quality JB food from? If we return there it would be nice to know what to aim for.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 07 Jul 2014 10:49 am

JR8 wrote:I day-tripped there once or twice and the food was a real let down .... nasty, like cheap/bad food-court food all the dishes piled onto one plate.

Do you have any suggestions where to get the mentioned quality JB food from? If we return there it would be nice to know what to aim for.
Obviously if you're going to food courts in malls, you're gonna get crap served on plates. Go to real restaurants - ask a local, and be a little brave (and street smart) to try.

In general, local coffee shops and restaurants are the easiest hit. Any food from any of these beats the ones in Singapore hands down. To name a few, Stulang Malay fried seafood rice, Taman Pelangi Chinese desserts, Johor Jaya pork bitter gourd soup. I forgot the nice Indian Muslim restaurants though.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 07 Jul 2014 10:55 am

the lynx wrote:Obviously if you're going to food courts in malls, you're gonna get crap served on plates. Go to real restaurants - ask a local, and be a little brave (and street smart) to try.

In general, local coffee shops and restaurants are the easiest hit. Any food from any of these beats the ones in Singapore hands down. To name a few, Stulang Malay fried seafood rice, Taman Pelangi Chinese desserts, Johor Jaya pork bitter gourd soup. I forgot the nice Indian Muslim restaurants though.
Exactly ..

If you want Fine Dining, stay in SG :P

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 07 Jul 2014 11:34 am

can someone tell me why is JB so desolate looking all the time?

there was a rather nice looking park which was devoid of humans :o
ruins of houses along a rather nice path which leads to some Prison complex
Incidentally there was a small restaurant which appeared out of a bend in the road which sold some really amazing Char Kway Teow.
I had walked all day in JB and that food was clearly amazing at that moment.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 07 Jul 2014 11:46 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:can someone tell me why is JB so desolate looking all the time?

Incidentally there was a small restaurant which appeared out of a bend in the road which sold some really amazing Char Kway Teow.
because anything Singapore do, JB also want to do .. :P

like the time they opened LEGOLAND, it was a furnace .. no shelter and no trees

but hey, JB folks were proud that they had their own theme park now .. as was Hello Kitty Land .. :twisted:

the ruins you say may be just houses built but not sold ..

as you can also see in many places in Malaysia ..

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 07 Jul 2014 12:03 pm

ecureilx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:can someone tell me why is JB so desolate looking all the time?

because anything Singapore do, JB also want to do .. :P

like the time they opened LEGOLAND, it was a furnace .. no shelter and no trees

but hey, JB folks were proud that they had their own theme park now .. as was Hello Kitty Land .. :twisted:

the ruins you say may be just houses built but not sold ..

as you can also see in many places in Malaysia ..
The Park I refer to wasn't a theme park , it was a normal park with a lot of greenery and trees and very very well maintained, it had walkways and paths and a pond and a fountain.
Everytime I go to JB I feel like I've been beamed into some alien planet devoid of humans, ( I see everyone in the malls but once you take a walk past the bus stand, I see little or almost no humans :o )
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late