Singapore Expats

What is the Average Pay (Salary) for Dependant Pass Holders?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
DoodisHere

What is the Average Pay (Salary) for Dependant Pass Holders?

Post by DoodisHere » Thu, 03 Jul 2014 4:23 pm

Hello All,

What is the approximate average salary per month for Dependant Pass holders in IT industry. I heard it is less than EP holder. How much less?

Lets say, if a 5 years experienced candidate in IT with EP gets 5000 SGD per month, how much it would be for DP with same credentials ?

How is it for freshers (DP) in Singapore (education completed in country other than Singapore)? As in what is the basic salary ?

Can you please throw some light on this?

Thanks much.
Last edited by DoodisHere on Thu, 03 Jul 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 03 Jul 2014 5:12 pm

How should DP holder's salary depend on corresponding EP holder's salary?

DoodisHere

Post by DoodisHere » Thu, 03 Jul 2014 5:26 pm

No, I'm not talking about dependency on correspondent EP holder.

Generalized DP holder salary only.

P.S: I've updated my original question.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 03 Jul 2014 5:50 pm

usually DP holders get lower salary, not because they are DP holders, it is because they are targeted by companies for really junior level jobs in companies that pay low overall. My wife used to work for NCS through an agency and she used to get $2500 and then after 1 yr she got $250 hike. I know other friends too whose wifes used to make that much. But then I also know some friends whose wives got their own EPs and make 5-6k a month. So it depends on your wifes skills/ability.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Jul 2014 6:34 pm

General salary on a DP is $0. On an EP it varies (you are not on a DP if you are one an EP. If you are on a LoC, then you salary will invariably be less than the market rate as the employer knows you are on a DP and the spouse is the bread winner with the perks, there you are usually offered crumbs. In the past this was especially true as you also didn't need any specific level of qualifications to get an LoC. However, today that isn't true, and you will also have a hard time getting a position if you have no qualifications at all.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Sun, 13 Jul 2014 10:01 am

Hi,

I haven't been in Singapore long enough to give a broad answer, but very narrowly the company I work for wouldn't differentiate (nor would I).

My wife is currently interviewing (on a DP) and is receiving positions at market rates (including a verbal offer) with large MNCs. Or 'EP Market Rates' as the case may be.

BUT.... she's also being contacted by local and regional companies for similar positions at lower salaries, including a number which wouldn't meet the threshold for an EP.

My read is it may be more of a case of having access to a larger potential job pool then someone looking to come over on an EP.

Brian

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 13 Jul 2014 10:44 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:General salary on a DP is $0. On an EP it varies (you are not on a DP if you are one an EP. If you are on a LoC, then you salary will invariably be less than the market rate as the employer knows you are on a DP and the spouse is the bread winner with the perks, there you are usually offered crumbs. In the past this was especially true as you also didn't need any specific level of qualifications to get an LoC. However, today that isn't true, and you will also have a hard time getting a position if you have no qualifications at all.
+1

kurtrules

Post by kurtrules » Mon, 14 Jul 2014 2:37 pm

brian_singapore wrote:Hi,

I haven't been in Singapore long enough to give a broad answer, but very narrowly the company I work for wouldn't differentiate (nor would I).

My wife is currently interviewing (on a DP) and is receiving positions at market rates (including a verbal offer) with large MNCs. Or 'EP Market Rates' as the case may be.

BUT.... she's also being contacted by local and regional companies for similar positions at lower salaries, including a number which wouldn't meet the threshold for an EP.

My read is it may be more of a case of having access to a larger potential job pool then someone looking to come over on an EP.

Brian

The MNCs, I believe, would apply for your wife's EP, in case she is selected. The LOC is cancelled if the pass its tied to expires. So I think big MNCs with permanent jobs would rather have their employee working on an EP.

The same happened to me. Post selection, my organization applied for my EP and I got my DP cancelled from my wife's organization once I received my IPA.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 7:09 am

kurtrules wrote:
The MNCs, I believe, would apply for your wife's EP, in case she is selected. The LOC is cancelled if the pass its tied to expires. So I think big MNCs with permanent jobs would rather have their employee working on an EP.

The same happened to me. Post selection, my organization applied for my EP and I got my DP cancelled from my wife's organization once I received my IPA.
This is the case with the current MNC. They gave her a formal offer yesterday and her start date is based on receipt of an EP.

The fact she has a DP seems to be largely irrelevant.

kurtrules

Post by kurtrules » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 10:26 am

brian_singapore wrote:
kurtrules wrote:

This is the case with the current MNC. They gave her a formal offer yesterday and her start date is based on receipt of an EP.

Congrats!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 1:08 pm

brian_singapore wrote:
kurtrules wrote:

Congrats, Brian!

I'd be interested in knowing if her contract is a local package or an expat package with housing allowances, etc., etc., thrown in. These are usually thrown out by MNC HRs if they know she was originally on a DP and would probably already have those perks covered by the original EP holder's contract. Anecdotal evidence here is all we get to add to the database about how things work here, especially in the ever changing political landscape here..... :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 2:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
I'd be interested in knowing if her contract is a local package or an expat package with housing allowances, etc., etc., thrown in. These are usually thrown out by MNC HRs if they know she was originally on a DP and would probably already have those perks covered by the original EP holder's contract. Anecdotal evidence here is all we get to add to the database about how things work here, especially in the ever changing political landscape here..... :wink:
Well let me add to the anecdotal evidence.....

She was given a local package.

It might be possible they'd have given her an expat package if she wasn't on a DP, but I sincerely doubt it. Its hard to argue the DP was the cause as my package is local as well. As I understand it expat packages are increasingly rare today and tend to be for individuals who are being relocated to Singapore via intercompany transfer or are very senior. I was provided some relocation assistance (flights + expenses) consistent with our companies internal transfer policies. I would have expected this from any employer in any country.

Brian

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 2:42 pm

Thanks, Brian. And if your available on the 25th, pop on down to (both of you) Boat Quay on the 25th and lift a handle, or a couple, with us.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic102784.html

kurtrules

Post by kurtrules » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 2:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
brian_singapore wrote:
kurtrules wrote:

Congrats, Brian!

I agree. However, there is a high possibility that the company would rather prefer an employee who's living here on a DP, and in the lookout for a job [vulnerable to accept], rather than taking the pain and spending thrice or even more in salary/accommodation allowance/tickets for the entire family to fly back each year etc. Overhead expenses which they can forego.

karthik29nov

Re: What is the Average Pay (Salary) for Dependant Pass Holders?

Post by karthik29nov » Mon, 11 May 2015 2:12 am

Hey guys,

I'm working in India but in the process of getting a transfer to Singapore. My wife is a M.Tech from a highly reputed university in India and earns quite high. If she starts looking for a job in singapore, will there be bias against her since she would be a dp holder?