Singapore Expats

HDB Rental statistics

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Jul 2014 1:31 pm

^This.

I have a 4 BR 5i we had a single staircase originally that connected two units on each level until the 5 level (where 4 & 3i's were located and hand a connecting corridor to reach the lifts. As we are on the 2nd floor, it was the same as a walk up to me as I couldn't be stuffed to go up 4 floors, walk the length of the corner block and then walk down to the 2nd floor. We've now had our lift upgrading so we have a lift just outside my unit that only serves two unit per floor with the exception of the 4/8/12th stories. My 4BR is a full 4 BR and not a 3.5 type of unit (121 SqM)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Search By

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Wed, 02 Jul 2014 2:13 pm

SMS, did you check how much you need to pay for the lift upgrading?

I bought a resale 4rm HDB from a couple who both are PR.
They want to sell due to the cost of lift upgrading as government will not subside the cost for PR.

Edit: correction .. :oops:
Last edited by therat on Wed, 02 Jul 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 02 Jul 2014 3:14 pm

therat wrote:SMS, did you check how much you need to pay for the life upgrading?

I bought a resale 4rm HDB from a couple who both are PR.
They want to sell due to the cost of lift upgrading as government will not subside the cost for PR.
SMS' wife isn't PR :P he may have got full subsidy ... for the 'life' upgrade :)

anyway in tampines PRs had to fork out about 40,000 I heard ... and difficult to finance so you need cash ...

and you can't opt out of it as well ...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Jul 2014 12:22 am

Like squirrel said, my wife is not a PR but a SC. My daughter's FiL is a PR (both). It's going to cost them around 32~39K I heard from my Son in Law last night. My wife will get subsidies so it's not too bad (I heard around 3K only). Whole estate isn't quite finished yet so still waiting.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AC expat

Post by AC expat » Mon, 07 Jul 2014 12:43 pm

Wow, that's pretty interesting, thanks for sharing!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: HDB Rental statistics

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 15 Apr 2015 5:08 pm

I am about to renew my rental agreement tonight. Negotiated a discount of $50 in monthly rent. So now its going to be $2050 for a 2 bedder HDB in Tampines. I also dont have to pay the agent fee this time. Last time, I was forced to pay because even though I found the house myself through pguru, the agent insisted that I have to pay and that the owner is not paying her any fee and she is representing me. The house was also nice and I was looking for a very specific location, walking distance to my daughter's school. She had also got it in writing from me that if I renew the agreement I will have to pay her agent fee again, like all agents do.

Its a funny story, about how I managed to do away with the agent fee. One fine day, few months back, the owner paid a surprise visit to our house and told me not to pay the agent fee and that she will manage it, she gave me her phone number. May be she was jittery that rents are going down. Anyways, I was very happy and thought I could double cross the agent and refuse to pay her. The agent yesterday message me and asked me whether I wanted to renew. I replied to her, saying that I am moving out to a place closer to my daughter's school and that I will look for a new place myself. Then I called the owner and told her that the agent called me and that I want to deal with her directly and not the agent so I can save the agent fee.

The owner said okay and I asked her to reduce the rent by $100. She said she will get back to me.

Then yesterday evening the owner called me and said she will reduce the rent by $50 and she also made a shocking revelation to me that the agent is none other than her sister in law :x She said she will pay the agent fee to her so I save the agent fee and rent reduced by $50. I agreed, I save some money and the rent is reasonable not too high and I dont have to scout for another place.

Tonight, its going to be embarrasing to see the agent, lol.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 15 Apr 2015 7:31 pm

WD40 on the way to renew his contract

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 15 Apr 2015 7:34 pm

and another one

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 25 Apr 2015 11:17 am

The HDB rental statistics for Q1 is out:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10323p.nsf ... #_Section1

Its quite surprising, almost all towns the average is 2000 for a 2 bedroom HDB. Even Marine Parade is 2.1k and Bishan is 2k! AMK, Tampines and Jurong also is 2k.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Sat, 25 Apr 2015 12:29 pm

Wd40 wrote:The HDB rental statistics for Q1 is out:

Its quite surprising, almost all towns the average is 2000 for a 2 bedroom HDB. Even Marine Parade is 2.1k and Bishan is 2k! AMK, Tampines and Jurong also is 2k.
They have built thousands of new flats .... Who is gonna fill them?

Its going to take a while to fill them all up thus getting someone into your flat is gonna take some doing as there is a lot of competition
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 25 Apr 2015 12:52 pm

Yeah, those new flats in far flung places are going to problematic to fill. But I would imagine, people wouldn't move from their existing places if its more convenient. Like my house is walking distance to my child's kindergarten. I am stuck here for at least 3 years.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: HDB Rental statistics

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 25 Apr 2015 7:08 pm

Barnsley wrote:
Wd40 wrote:The HDB rental statistics for Q1 is out:

They have built thousands of new flats .... Who is gonna fill them?

Its going to take a while to fill them all up thus getting someone into your flat is gonna take some doing as there is a lot of competition
Most of the new builds are 3 bedroom.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 11 Mar 2017 9:34 am

Got a call from my landlady this morning asking if I wanted to renew my rental agreement for 1 more year, the lease ending is still 3.5 months away. She also offered to reduce my rent to $1.8K a month from $1.9K a month which I am paying currently. Mine is a 2 bedroom HDB is Tampines. Basically she said, she knows the market is down and wants me to pay market rates. I also successfully negotiated with her to allow me to break my lease after 6 months, in case my daughter doesnt get a primary school next year nearby. Such a nice landlady.

I have been staying in the same house since 3 years now and the rental has gone from $2100 ->$2050 ->$1900->$1800. Good time to stay in Singapore, if you have a job that is :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 11 Mar 2017 10:27 am

Wd40 wrote:Got a call from my landlady this morning asking if I wanted to renew my rental agreement for 1 more year, the lease ending is still 3.5 months away. She also offered to reduce my rent to $1.8K a month from $1.9K a month which I am paying currently. Mine is a 2 bedroom HDB is Tampines. Basically she said, she knows the market is down and wants me to pay market rates. I also successfully negotiated with her to allow me to break my lease after 6 months, in case my daughter doesnt get a primary school next year nearby. Such a nice landlady.

I have been staying in the same house since 3 years now and the rental has gone from $2100 ->$2050 ->$1900->$1800. Good time to stay in Singapore, if you have a job that is :)
I like your enthusiasm, but it is sort of like saying, I am happy my Lamborghini was discounted by 5 dollars, while everybody is pretty aware this bloody thing is overpriced by 50% or more.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 11 Mar 2017 10:31 am

x9200 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Got a call from my landlady this morning asking if I wanted to renew my rental agreement for 1 more year, the lease ending is still 3.5 months away. She also offered to reduce my rent to $1.8K a month from $1.9K a month which I am paying currently. Mine is a 2 bedroom HDB is Tampines. Basically she said, she knows the market is down and wants me to pay market rates. I also successfully negotiated with her to allow me to break my lease after 6 months, in case my daughter doesnt get a primary school next year nearby. Such a nice landlady.

I like your enthusiasm, but it is sort of like saying, I am happy my Lamborghini was discounted by 5 dollars, while everybody is pretty aware this bloody thing is overpriced by 50% or more.
Think about it this way, the trend before 2013 was that every year prices used to increase by $100-$200. In 2013 peak rents were $2300, now they are $1800 for the same house. If gahmen had kept letting people in, rents would have kept chugging up. Its all demand and supply. Just the trend change in the last 3-4 years means rents are now 30% lower than what they *could* have been.

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/pr ... a-from-4th