Singapore Expats

S$1000/month, an ok student-budget?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Swede

S$1000/month, an ok student-budget?

Post by Swede » Tue, 11 Jan 2005 9:43 pm

Do you guys think it's possible to survive on S$1000/month. Assume that I live on campus or shares an apt. with fellow students, and don't go out drinking...

/ Swede

Adviser

S$1000/month

Post by Adviser » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:32 am

Hi,

It is possible to survive basing on S$1000/month. From your description, i am very sure that you are a pretty thrift person. The rental of apartment will increase if you are selecting an apartment in the city area, i.e. Orchard, River Valley.

Hope it helps

Post by Guest » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:54 pm

Definitely more than enough esp for a student living on campus. You may want the extra cash to travel around though and I mean outside Singapore. ;)

jomac

1000 a month

Post by jomac » Wed, 26 Jan 2005 6:40 pm

If you live on campus that is a good amount however rentals of campus are quite pricey.
Hostels are the best on a fixed income :)

guest 25

too little

Post by guest 25 » Sun, 13 Feb 2005 1:02 pm

It's enough to survive on if you want to live like a monk. So if you don't drink, smoke, go out with girls, go to cinemas, take taxis, eat much meant or other western food, then perhaps you can survive. Your lifestyle will be lower than anyone in Sweden including foreign refugees or gypsies. Why would you want to suffer like that?

The Enlightened one

Re: S$1000/month, an ok student-budget?

Post by The Enlightened one » Sun, 13 Feb 2005 5:40 pm

Swede wrote:Do you guys think it's possible to survive on S$1000/month. Assume that I live on campus or shares an apt. with fellow students, and don't go out drinking...

/ Swede
Don't listen to the other bozos, It's enough to leave as a student on campus housing.

On campus, eating is really cheap. However if you want to go out, you would have to make a few sacrifices here and there. I lived on campus before and I know how it's like. Don't worry, you can survive in Singapore if you manage your money. It's significantly cheaper than in Sweden, Scandinavia or other European countries.

Realistic

Sure Is

Post by Realistic » Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:32 pm

SG$1,000 per month should be fine. However, it will be tight, though. A lot of Singaporeans actually earn less than SG$1,000 pm, and still have to raise a family.

Drinking and smoking are expensive in SG...so, if you don't do either you will have saved loads. Eating at Hawker Centres and just "hanging" out is what students do...and it is cheap.

The others posting on this site might just be too used to the "privileged" lifestyle of an expat, so have lost control of their expenses. It will be a shock to them when they go back to their own country, earning a regular salary, with no housing/travel/education allowances.