Singapore Expats

Stamford American vs Canadian Internat'l vs Dover Court??

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sat, 09 Aug 2014 1:04 pm

Nexus is owned by Taylor Education Group. Relatively new to singapore but very big in Malaysia.

I have two boys aged 6 and 16, the philosophy is very much individual learning for each child to achieve their potential and they accept that that is different for everyone. For the younger children the learning is topic based, their science, history, maths, literacy will be based around something they find interesting. Egypt, forces, nature etc. The learning involves a lot of moving around which I find great for boys. Two lots of pe a week, 40 minutes a day of foreign language etc.
My older son is doing very well, his grades amazed us. He's bright but can be lazy and they seem to have teachers who inspire his thinking. They've inspired a wanting to learn and self discipline. They are not big believers in homework apart from reading and consolidation. They believe a good teacher with the right resources has the time to teach everything they need to. It has taken a lot of pressure off us as a family without impacting on progress. Maybe even improving progress.

Whilst the school is for profit they do understand that spending nothing on equipment, scrimping on teachers and facilities and cramming kids in like sardines is a false economy. I was in the last couple of days sorting out the parents common room ready for term start and the sheer amount of money just spent in the holidays amazed me. Upgrades, refurbishment and equipment.

shannada

Re:

Post by shannada » Fri, 14 Nov 2014 8:03 am

PNGMK wrote:
momofboys wrote:other than SAS, what are other not for profit schools then? clearly it isn't something readily advertised.
Not it's not and that's why my life mission has become educating people a little bit about this.

AFAIK;
ICS, Nexus (according to Hanni), Tanglin Trust, SAS are the only NFP FSS schools in Singapore. AIS, Chatsworth, Dover, OFS, the Global Indian ones etc are all for profit.

There sort of a middle ground (I think UWC is one and I think this is where Nexus sits as well) where the school maybe for profit but has an overarching governance board...
This list of not for profit (NFP) schools is incomplete. UWC South East Asia is definitely a not for profit school governed by a board of volunteers and is one of the first NFP schools established in Singapore, while Nexus is a for profit school (not a NFP) owned by a private company. Missing from this list another IB school, the German European School Singapore (GESS), a not for profit school run by a trust and governed by a volunteer board of governors who are parents of students. GESS is academically operated as two separate sections (German section and European section) with separate headmasters and faculty but common facilities. The European section offers the IB PYP, MYP and Diploma program from grade 1 to grade 12, and all teachers are English speaking (most are native speakers) from various countries including UK, Australia, US, India, Netherlands, and of course Germany. A couple of my children attend this school.

I agree with PNGMK that if you can get a place in a not for profit school, you are at least assured that your fees are being put to good use by the board of governors who put the children's needs first and profit making motives last.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Re:

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 15 Nov 2014 1:22 pm

shannada wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
momofboys wrote:other than SAS, what are other not for profit schools then? clearly it isn't something readily advertised.
Not it's not and that's why my life mission has become educating people a little bit about this.

AFAIK;
ICS, Nexus (according to Hanni), Tanglin Trust, SAS are the only NFP FSS schools in Singapore. AIS, Chatsworth, Dover, OFS, the Global Indian ones etc are all for profit.

There sort of a middle ground (I think UWC is one and I think this is where Nexus sits as well) where the school maybe for profit but has an overarching governance board...
This list of not for profit (NFP) schools is incomplete. UWC South East Asia is definitely a not for profit school governed by a board of volunteers and is one of the first NFP schools established in Singapore, while Nexus is a for profit school (not a NFP) owned by a private company. Missing from this list another IB school, the German European School Singapore (GESS), a not for profit school run by a trust and governed by a volunteer board of governors who are parents of students. GESS is academically operated as two separate sections (German section and European section) with separate headmasters and faculty but common facilities. The European section offers the IB PYP, MYP and Diploma program from grade 1 to grade 12, and all teachers are English speaking (most are native speakers) from various countries including UK, Australia, US, India, Netherlands, and of course Germany. A couple of my children attend this school.

I agree with PNGMK that if you can get a place in a not for profit school, you are at least assured that your fees are being put to good use by the board of governors who put the children's needs first and profit making motives last.
Thanks Shanada - I stick by my view though that UWC and Nexus maybe schools governed by responsible boards BUT owned by private individuals through trust arrangements or other mechanisms (as opposed to being owned by a government dept or a mission society or church).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

aster
Manager
Manager

Re: Stamford American vs Canadian Internat'l vs Dover Court?

Post by aster » Mon, 05 Jan 2015 9:45 pm

FWIW I wouldn't even put the names UWC and Nexus in the same sentence. The former is one of the better educational options on the island, whereas the latter is not in the same league so to speak. In terms of profit or other goals I think they're all quite similar in the end. Last time I checked some of these non-profits were selling expensive seats to corporations and also giving virtual guaranteed entry to significant donors.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Stamford American vs Canadian Internat'l vs Dover Court?

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 06 Jan 2015 7:35 pm

aster wrote:FWIW I wouldn't even put the names UWC and Nexus in the same sentence. The former is one of the better educational options on the island, whereas the latter is not in the same league so to speak. In terms of profit or other goals I think they're all quite similar in the end. Last time I checked some of these non-profits were selling expensive seats to corporations and also giving virtual guaranteed entry to significant donors.
I'd almost agree except for the nepotistic hiring policies of UWC...
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!