Singapore Expats Forum

EP Application under Sponsorship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Siv
Regular
Regular
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri, 06 Dec 2013

EP Application under Sponsorship

Postby Siv » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 11:31 am

Good morning to all,

I'm employed by a US MNC out of its Asia Pacific HQ in Hong Kong. I am currently based in Malaysia, I am a Malaysian, and the company wants me to take on a regional position with more focus on the Singapore market and to be based there permanently.

They've asked me to go ahead and apply for an EP through sponsorship as my company is based in HK.

I am about to submit my paperwork next week. FYI, I've taken the self assessment online and my salary, position and academic qualifications are all not an issue.

The requirement by MOM seems pretty simple as far as supporting documents are concerned. I would appreciate if anyone who has done this before has any insight or pointers that may help my application ?

Would it be sufficient if I just provided what MOM has listed ? Or do I need to submit additional docs ?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers
Siv

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: EP Application under Sponsorship

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 11:59 am

Siv wrote:Good morning to all,

I'm employed by a US MNC out of its Asia Pacific HQ in Hong Kong. I am currently based in Malaysia, I am a Malaysian, and the company wants me to take on a regional position with more focus on the Singapore market and to be based there permanently.

They've asked me to go ahead and apply for an EP through sponsorship as my company is based in HK.

I am about to submit my paperwork next week. FYI, I've taken the self assessment online and my salary, position and academic qualifications are all not an issue.

The requirement by MOM seems pretty simple as far as supporting documents are concerned. I would appreciate if anyone who has done this before has any insight or pointers that may help my application ?

Would it be sufficient if I just provided what MOM has listed ? Or do I need to submit additional docs ?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers
Siv


if you can find the application form, go through it, you will know what you need to submit

what is this sponsorship you are talking about? never heard of it before ...

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Postby AngMoG » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 12:07 pm

Normally an employer needs to apply for the EP, not the employee. Just wondering, does your employer already have an incorporated (or pte ltd) company in Singapore?

Siv
Regular
Regular
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri, 06 Dec 2013

Re: EP Application under Sponsorship

Postby Siv » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 12:07 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Siv wrote:Good morning to all,

I'm employed by a US MNC out of its Asia Pacific HQ in Hong Kong. I am currently based in Malaysia, I am a Malaysian, and the company wants me to take on a regional position with more focus on the Singapore market and to be based there permanently.

They've asked me to go ahead and apply for an EP through sponsorship as my company is based in HK.

I am about to submit my paperwork next week. FYI, I've taken the self assessment online and my salary, position and academic qualifications are all not an issue.

The requirement by MOM seems pretty simple as far as supporting documents are concerned. I would appreciate if anyone who has done this before has any insight or pointers that may help my application ?

Would it be sufficient if I just provided what MOM has listed ? Or do I need to submit additional docs ?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers
Siv


if you can find the application form, go through it, you will know what you need to submit

what is this sponsorship you are talking about? never heard of it before ...


Yes, the paperwork is all ready for submission. The requirements needed seem to be very basic : copies of passport, academic qualifications....and pretty much nothing else.(unless I was in the F&B industry or sportsman)

Which was why I asked if those were sufficient ? Or should I include additional documentation ?

Btw, ecureilx, sponsorship is for foreign based companies who want to have reps in Singapore but can't do so since they are not locally incorporated, can do so through a local singapore company who acts as a 'sponsor'. Generally this local company and the foreign company have some business association in some way or other. Usually, as in my case, principal and distributor relationship.

Regards,
Siv

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: EP Application under Sponsorship

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 12:20 pm

Siv wrote:
Btw, ecureilx, sponsorship is for foreign based companies who want to have reps in Singapore but can't do so since they are not locally incorporated, can do so through a local singapore company who acts as a 'sponsor'. Generally this local company and the foreign company have some business association in some way or other. Usually, as in my case, principal and distributor relationship.

Regards,
Siv


getting a company who isn't your employer to "sponsor " an EP is grey area, and from what I know, is illegal, though few companies claim otherwise to make money in the 'sponsorship', and more than a few guys fall for it, till someone rats to MOM ...

I never heard of this sponsorship business other than from operators trying to make a fast Buck ....

legal in some countries but not in Singapore ... is all I know ...

maybe others can clarify ....

Siv
Regular
Regular
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri, 06 Dec 2013

Re: EP Application under Sponsorship

Postby Siv » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 12:23 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Siv wrote:
Btw, ecureilx, sponsorship is for foreign based companies who want to have reps in Singapore but can't do so since they are not locally incorporated, can do so through a local singapore company who acts as a 'sponsor'. Generally this local company and the foreign company have some business association in some way or other. Usually, as in my case, principal and distributor relationship.

Regards,
Siv


getting a company who isn't your employer to "sponsor " an EP is grey area, and from what I know, is illegal, though few companies claim otherwise to make money in the 'sponsorship', and more than a few guys fall for it, till someone rats to MOM ...

I never heard of this sponsorship business other than from operators trying to make a fast Buck ....

legal in some countries but not in Singapore ... is all I know ...

maybe others can clarify ....


Highly unlikely its a grey area when there's a whole section on it on MOM website, no ?

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... ponsorship

Scroll down....Application under sponsorship.

It's all there. And my boss is on the same EP he did via the same process last year.

Regards,
Siv

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: EP Application under Sponsorship

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 12:35 pm

Siv wrote:..Scroll down....Application under sponsorship.

It's all there. And my boss is on the same EP he did via the same process last year.

Regards,
Siv


never knew of this before, stand corrected !!!

Good luck in that case ..

Since it is manual submission, as per the MOM page, make sure you make copies of all certificates, Birth Certificate, Passport etc .. and attach

If your 'sponsor' has done it before, maybe they can advice you better ..

Siv
Regular
Regular
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri, 06 Dec 2013

Re: EP Application under Sponsorship

Postby Siv » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 12:42 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Siv wrote:..Scroll down....Application under sponsorship.

It's all there. And my boss is on the same EP he did via the same process last year.

Regards,
Siv


Good luck in that case ..

Since it is manual submission, as per the MOM page, make sure you make copies of all certificates, Birth Certificate, Passport etc .. and attach

If your 'sponsor' has done it before, maybe they can advice you better ..


Thanks mate

See right there....eg birth certificate...its not stated in the requirements. So do I include ? I have heard people say when it comes to applying for visas, etc with Singapore, provide only what is required. The extras, if needed, will be asked of you.

Which is why I just thought of asking in here, whether anyone has gone through this process.

Siv

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: EP Application under Sponsorship

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 3:37 pm

Siv wrote:
Thanks mate

See right there....eg birth certificate...its not stated in the requirements. So do I include ? I have heard people say when it comes to applying for visas, etc with Singapore, provide only what is required. The extras, if needed, will be asked of you.

Which is why I just thought of asking in here, whether anyone has gone through this process.

Siv


birth certificate is not required, my bad

documents for normal EP, educational, professional, membership etc

if you read the form you will know what is needed ...

its been years since a manual submission was done so, I am outdated ...

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 4:06 pm

don't over think it - if you've submitted everything you're supposed it, it will suffice. if they need more from you, they will be the first to ask.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Siv
Regular
Regular
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri, 06 Dec 2013

Postby Siv » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 4:10 pm

Hi,

I just thought I'd touch base here and update that after exactly 2 months since I submitted by application, I have been granted an in-principle approval for my EP today. Of course there is the formalities of medicals and some documentation, but basically it's all well and good.

I submitted only what was required on the MOM website and they got some additional documents from me and my sponsor company a month ago.

Thats about it.

I guess my next step will be to work out a package to able to move to Singapore with my family from KL where we're at right now.


Cheers,

Siv

Siv
Regular
Regular
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri, 06 Dec 2013

Postby Siv » Mon, 08 Sep 2014 9:44 pm

Hi All,

Would appreciate some advice here. I have just did my medical tests today as required by MOM for the EP that I have IPA for.

The report should be ready in about 2-3 days time. After that I would need to complete the EP issuance process.

Here is where I need some clarification. And, I have tried scouring these forums and everywhere possible online as well and have managed to get no satisfactory answers so far.

It states I should be in Singapore when the process is done, and until I get the card issued. Being in Singapore is not a problem, but I am wondering MUST i continue to be in Singapore while waiting for the few days for the EP to be issued ? Since I live in Malaysia, can't I do the online submission and then return to Singapore on the given date of card collection ?

Obviously I have not looked for a place to stay etc in Singapore as yet.

Thoughts ?

Thanks

Cheers,
Siv

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 6:42 pm

Siv wrote:.

It states I should be in Singapore when the process is done, and until I get the card issued. Being in Singapore is not a problem, but I am wondering MUST i continue to be in Singapore while waiting for the few days for the EP to be issued ? Since I live in Malaysia, can't I do the online submission and then return to Singapore on the given date of card collection ?


not sure where it states, but, once you have the medical, you go to MOM and submit the IPA, Medical and get finger printed, and the pass is issued within a day or two.

why would you want to leave in the meantime?

and no, you can't submit online (what exactly did you plan to submit online? your medical and finger print???)

btw, "should" means should, not must, or did I miss something?

Siv
Regular
Regular
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri, 06 Dec 2013

Postby Siv » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 6:55 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Siv wrote:.

It states I should be in Singapore when the process is done, and until I get the card issued. Being in Singapore is not a problem, but I am wondering MUST i continue to be in Singapore while waiting for the few days for the EP to be issued ? Since I live in Malaysia, can't I do the online submission and then return to Singapore on the given date of card collection ?


not sure where it states, but, once you have the medical, you go to MOM and submit the IPA, Medical and get finger printed, and the pass is issued within a day or two.

why would you want to leave in the meantime?

and no, you can't submit online (what exactly did you plan to submit online? your medical and finger print???)

btw, "should" means should, not must, or did I miss something?


Thanks Ecureilx for your feedback, for what it was worth anyway

I actually contacted MOM via email and they've given me clear instructions on how to proceed. So its all good.

Trust me, however, when I say that what was in the instructions in the IPA annex was entirely different from what MOM response was.

I basically have to just bring my documents and show up at EPSC at River Walk, after I've made an appointment for my EP issuance.

Oh, and btw....I know you can't scan (actually you CAN, but it's pointless) your finger print, but pretty much everything else can be scanned. Which was also stated in the letter including the accepted dpi. That's the resolution by the way....just in case you weren't familiar with scanning :roll:

Cheers
Siv


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gold.spot and 0 guests