Singapore Expats

relocation from canada to sg

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sailordork

relocation from canada to sg

Post by sailordork » Wed, 25 Jun 2014 1:20 pm

hi i am a canadian and i fell in love with a singaporean exchange girl when she was in my city this winter. now she is back in singapore and we are separated by oceans and 12 hours apart, so i wish to move here to be closer. what are some of the more important things to know, such as work permit or housing issues? if possible, i would like to secure a job here before flying over - i work in the creative field as a motion graphic designer currently and hoping to continue in this area in singapore. any one with any advice please reply please, thank you.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 25 Jun 2014 3:57 pm

Getting a visa that allows residence and work is quite hard, and usually requires a university degree, a few years work experience and skills in a field that locals cannot fill. If you have those, apply to applicable companies in your field directly. It helps in this respect to have a Singapore address and phone number.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Thu, 26 Jun 2014 1:19 pm

If you've never been to Singapore, you ought to visit before making a commitment to moving here.

Also, not to sound crass, but ask yourself how long have you known this woman (who you referred to as a "girl"). Your message makes it sound like you only knew her during winter*. You may already know this, but Singaporean women eagerly pursue foreign men for a few reasons you're probably aware of. Sometimes it really is true love (and that's wonderful), but other times it's for status and stuff like that, not to mention the fact that that they want to move out of their parents' house.

Like I said, I'm honestly not trying to be condescending or insulting. It's just that before uprooting your life and moving to the other side of the planet, you should examine the situation very closely, especially if you've only known her in person a short time.

*As a side note, winter, along with summer, spring and fall, are not typically used in the local vocabulary. Singapore has one season all year around. :)

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Thu, 26 Jun 2014 1:59 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:*As a side note, winter, along with summer, spring and fall, are not typically used in the local vocabulary. Singapore has one season all year around. :)
I thought the 4 seasons of SG were Hot, Hotter, Rainy & Rainier.
:o
BedokAmerican wrote:. . . ought to visit before making a commitment to moving here.
Fully agree.
Should be for more than a week.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 27 Jun 2014 12:35 am

maneo wrote:
BedokAmerican wrote:*As a side note, winter, along with summer, spring and fall, are not typically used in the local vocabulary. Singapore has one season all year around. :)
I thought the 4 seasons of SG were Hot, Hotter, Rainy & Rainier.
:o
BedokAmerican wrote:. . . ought to visit before making a commitment to moving here.
Fully agree.
Should be for more than a week.
And not in December or January, lest you get fooled by the one "slightly less hot and humid" season into thinking "Gee, the weather is warm, but not *that* intolerable. I can probably do this!". :)