Singapore Expats

:???: Early Termination of Lease

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

What would you do?

Break Lease and lose 2 months security deposit ($7000)
33%
Give in to the new demands of the landlord ($6100)
33%
Pay but take the landlord to small claims tribruneral after the fact ($6100, might recover $3100)
No votes
Employ someone to follow the landlord all day till they litter and post it on The Real Singapore ($6100 + revenge)
33%

Total votes: 3

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 23 Jun 2014 1:29 pm

x9200 wrote:
Any modern legal system is based (theoretically) on social justice and things mentioned above are typically taken into account.
This is exactly the reason why I think court will not rule in favor of a landlord who is trying to claim the entire amount for the remaining tenancy, if he has rented out the flat to someone else after the tenancy is broken.

This is the reason I propose that you should tell the landlord that you are leaving the country. Only an idiot will leave the house vacant and then sue the tenant knowing well that he wont get the money back.

Atleast if subletting was allowed, you could then sublet and make good some losses. But here in Singapore, they strictly dont let subletting, which makes the TA heavily skewed in favor of the landlord, so I dont see anything wrong in what I am proposing(I know JR8 wont agree, but lets just agree to disagree :) ).

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 23 Jun 2014 2:27 pm

I certainly think a few reforms in the rental market here would be helpful.

First and foremost, the requirement to deposit/hold the bond with an independent third party. A bond release form would need to be signed by LL & tenant to agree how it is split at end of tenancy. Failing which, it can go to SCT for a binding ruling on the bond disbursement.

Secondly, the predominance of 2 year fixed term leases, which was certainly a change from what I was used to e.g. in Australia where many are on periodic leases which allow termination with a month's notice. Not that there's a problem with fixed terms, it can benefit both parties e.g. long-term tenants. But it seems to me a lot of tenants enter these TA's without even appreciating/understanding they are committing for the full term. Some broader education of this and/or requirement for agents to explain it clearly would be a good step. Although I do concede that ultimately individuals are responsible for what they sign.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Jun 2014 3:40 pm

We been talking here about those self same reforms since I came on the board and thats a decade now. Good Luck - it ain't gonna happen. :(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers