Singapore Expats

Agent Fee - Diplomatic Clause

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
skooch

Agent Fee - Diplomatic Clause

Post by skooch » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 1:56 pm

Hi, I would appreciate your advice on the following please. I have recently terminated my lease early due to loss of employment and have used the diplomatic clause. At the time of signing the lease the Agent required us to sign a document saying that if we terminiated early then I would have to pay back her fees. Now that we are in the situation I feel that we are effectively paying for a diplomatic clause as she is chasing for payment. I realise I have signed this but I wanted to ask if this is normal and if legally this can be done ? Having lost a job means that I am going to have difficulty paying it anyway. There was no time limit on the signed doc so I could hold out for a while if necessary but could the agent pursue this through legal means ? Thanks for your advice.

Search By

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 2:16 pm

Yes you should pay back the agent fees paid by the landlord only on a pro-rated basis on the remainder of the TA. It makes sense as the Landlord has already paid the agent's fees in full for a 2 year TA, you've left early so landlord has to find a new tennant and pay the agent fees again.

skooch

Post by skooch » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 2:26 pm

In the previous tennancy agreements I have had, I have never had to sign something like this. I understand the reasoning of course and I will have to work out something in the end but its just that I won't be able to pay as yet.