Singapore Expats

Query Regarding Dependent Pass

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
kurtrules

Query Regarding Dependent Pass

Post by kurtrules » Thu, 19 Jun 2014 12:54 pm

Hello All,

I hope you all are doing well.

I am here on a dependent's pass since April this year, on my wife's EP. Fortunately, I have managed to find myself a job as well, and thankfully my EP has also been approved [Status on EP online]

I have a 5 month old daughter also on a DP on my wife's EP. My soon-to be company, provides for a comprehensive health insurance for me and my entire family whereas, my wife's company provides backup limited to her.

Now since my daughter is on a DP connected to my wife's EP, would she be covered under my insurance or would I have to get her DP cancelled from my wife's organisation and then re-apply for her DP on my EP, and only then would she be able to inherit benefits imparted to me?

Thanks in advance!

- Vaibhav

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 19 Jun 2014 1:31 pm

The insurance is linked to your new company, not to the MOM passes so it is basically about what do you have in your contract and/or what are the company's standard policies.

kurtrules

Post by kurtrules » Thu, 19 Jun 2014 1:41 pm

Yes, I agree with you. I wanted to confirm that whether my daughter would be considered, on paper, as "my dependent" even if she holds a DP on my wife's EP. I say this because the company's policy states - "For you and your family/dependent"

And thanks for replying!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 19 Jun 2014 1:58 pm

She is your dependent because she is your daughter, not the other way around.

If a company provides an insurance to your family it is typically based on family formal bonds, not the MOM passes. Of course it may happen that the company will not do it if the family member is under dependent pass sponsored by another company but nobody can tell you this except this very company sponsoring the insurance.

kurtrules

Post by kurtrules » Thu, 19 Jun 2014 2:12 pm

Cool.

I'll put this up to the HR. Thanks.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 19 Jun 2014 8:46 pm

kurtrules wrote:Yes, I agree with you. I wanted to confirm that whether my daughter would be considered, on paper, as "my dependent" even if she holds a DP on my wife's EP. I say this because the company's policy states - "For you and your family/dependent"

And thanks for replying!
I had a case like this, and when the guy went to claim from his son, the insurance company said not covered as the son is under wife's pass, as dependant meant under his pass. etc. etc.

likewise another insurer states the dependent must be under valid pass, i.e. EP, SP, LTVP ... conveniently forgetting DP ..:-) :-)

get it clarified

kurtrules

Post by kurtrules » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 11:46 am

ecureilx wrote:
kurtrules wrote:Yes, I agree with you. I wanted to confirm that whether my daughter would be considered, on paper, as "my dependent" even if she holds a DP on my wife's EP. I say this because the company's policy states - "For you and your family/dependent"

And thanks for replying!
I had a case like this, and when the guy went to claim from his son, the insurance company said not covered as the son is under wife's pass, as dependant meant under his pass. etc. etc.

likewise another insurer states the dependent must be under valid pass, i.e. EP, SP, LTVP ... conveniently forgetting DP ..:-) :-)

get it clarified
Thanks for the heads up. Will do so.

Another question - The HR stated that I would have to get the DP cancelled from my wife's organization and then the EP would be issued. Since I have already been to the MOM and registered/given my finger prints, does MOM require that I visit riverwalk again, and repeat the process ?

Or would they forego this process.

kurtrules

Post by kurtrules » Sat, 21 Jun 2014 1:45 pm

Got the confirmation late last evening from my employer - Would infact have to get my little one registered on a DP under my EP, cancelling her DP on my wife's EP, for her to avail all the benefits.

Thank you all for your responses.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 21 Jun 2014 5:23 pm

kurtrules wrote:Got the confirmation late last evening from my employer - Would infact have to get my little one registered on a DP under my EP, cancelling her DP on my wife's EP, for her to avail all the benefits.

Thank you all for your responses.
try a different insurance company instead ;)

kurtrules

Post by kurtrules » Sun, 22 Jun 2014 9:46 am

Haha, no thanks :)

I am anyhow glad that the employer provides healthcare cover for my entire family else I would have had buy a separate insurance cover for my little daughter, which, would not cover Out Patient/Vaccinations expenditure.

I checked out expat insurance, and the only agency which provides comprehensive cover was Bupa, but it costed a bomb - ~3000 USD annually which was humongous compared to the Great Eastern plan [covering only hospitalization and related expenses] which was around 600 SGD annual for expats, with 2 riders. A plan that I was considering.

But alls well that ends well :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 Jun 2014 10:31 am

That's what insurance costs in the US. for two months but in USD. :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 22 Jun 2014 10:45 am

There are dozens of insurance companies around with many difference policies. Bupa is only one of them. Also comparing anything without knowing any details of what your company is going to offer makes little sense. Seriously doubt anything your company offers come even close to any Bupa plans.

My company offers "free" insurance too but I have chosen to buy one by myself. It was just not good enough.

kurtrules

Post by kurtrules » Mon, 23 Jun 2014 9:50 am

I agree, however I am writing this post my 30 minute discussion with a representative at the Expat Insurance office in riverwalk. BUPA offers an excellent package, but charges just as much. As an example that I would like to state, I needed an insurance cover for my little one's vaccination, and after my research, I concluded that BUPA was the only company [For expats] that offers cover for vaccination [One of its, many riders], however, the rider costed SGD 800 [post conversion] annual, which, specifically in my daughter's case, was more than my actual cost of vaccination for the entire year!

Anyhow, I would not be taking a 2nd insurance, as I have confirmed with my company's HR; its a cashless, in/out patient cover, that encompasses medicinal expenditure as well, but yes, sans vaccinations.

Nonetheless, that's a verbal commitment; I can only be sure once I go through the entire policy, after which, I shall update here.

Thanks!