Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore being praised as model Healthcare model

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Singapore being praised as model Healthcare model

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:18 am

Singapore has suddenly popped up a few times recently now in the US as a "model" healthcare system.

The video is quite interesting to watch having been there and used this healthcare system.

http://www.vox.com/2014/6/17/5815468/si ... an-the-u-s

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4857
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:24 am

I'm in the US right now. I'm not a US citizen, unfortunately I left my BP medicine behind in Singapore.

Within a day though I had found an online (web cam) doctor who would write a script and send it to the local CVS pharma in flover ville. I had my medication the same night. Total cost USD45 for the consult and USD40 for the medication. Only marginal more expensive than Singapore and if I had an employer here and insurance it would be even less.

There's a lot of whoo hah about the US medical system and while some of it is justified it's not as bad as it is made out.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10418
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:41 am

PNGMK wrote:There's a lot of whoo hah about the US medical system and while some of it is justified it's not as bad as it is made out.


Your one small experience means nothing in the context of the larger picture and the situation is far worse than it is made out to be by Republicans.

But one example. In 2012, I got an infected leg from a cut suffered while camping. I went to the local hospital affiliated clinic. The doctor who read my blood work spent less than two minutes in total with me and my blood work data. The bill for this service? $768.

They insisted that I needed to be put in the hospital to receive intravenous antibiotic treatment to cure the infection. I was otherwise completely healthy. Two nights and a part of the second morning and my total bill was in excess of $28,000... yes... twenty eight thousand.

The insurance company then "negotiates" with the hospital and the final bill magically turns into $6,700. This is common practice... keep a high "retail" price and then offer discounts. If you're a poor sap with no insurance and don't know this, the hospital will bill you for the full amount.

The costs and use of various tests are skyrocketing. Why do an MRI when a CAT scan will do, and why do a CAT scan when an X-ray will do... but no... all three will be run... just in case. And the tests are almost always run by independent, profit making physicians groups.

A recent study found prices for exactly the same test, procedure varied widely, even within a region, as much as a 20 times differential.

Hospitals, ER's and physicians groups absolutely do not give a shit about costs... insurance will pay for it. The system is seriously broken, far too expensive, and the waits too long.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 1:48 am

I personally haven't had trouble with waits, almost ever, but agree costs are ridiculous. Wife had a blood and urine test as a part of a check-up, there were four or five separate tests billed at hundred of dollars each (I guess one for each thing they checked for inside those samples?). Now I'm lucky and have amazing insurance so I paid nothing except a $20 co-pay when I visit the doctor, but it's still mind-boggling when I look at the bills I would have paid if i didn't have insurance (or shittier insurance).

I'm not completely convinced in the greatness of Singapore's system though. It never did me wrong, but I was never seriously ill. I always had this strange thought a long term illness would be financial ruin there as the limits on my insurance always seemed way too low. That could just be conditioning from life in the US though.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Postby AngMoG » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 10:32 am

Well, Singapore is trying to catch up with the US when it comes to private higher-end healthcare cost...

Going to a local doctor always was relatively cheap for me - rarely spent more than S$30, but then again, those doctors don't know jack squat. If you have a cold with fever, blocked nose and cough, they will give you a pill for each symptom - one for fever, another to relieve clogged nose, and a separate one for cough. :shock:

The cost of private hospitals though, is mind-boggling (though not as expensive as the US yet). We had to go only once, when my wife had appendicitis. She had an operation and stayed in the hospital one night to recover. Total bill? S$10,000 ! Another time, we had to go to an nose & ear specialist to remove an insect from her ear... took 10 mins, cost S$800 (no pills or anasthesia, btw)!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9303
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 10:40 am

AngMoG wrote:... those doctors don't know jack squat. )!


offended I am ...

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu, 31 Oct 2013

Postby Beeroclock » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 10:59 am

zzm9980 wrote:I'm not completely convinced in the greatness of Singapore's system though. It never did me wrong, but I was never seriously ill. I always had this strange thought a long term illness would be financial ruin there as the limits on my insurance always seemed way too low. That could just be conditioning from life in the US though.

+1. I have been relying on my company's group policy, and know it is going to be inadequate in a serious case, but have Aus citizenship/passport as a final backstop. If not for that, I would definitely be taking my own policy here too.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:28 am

AngMoG wrote:Well, Singapore is trying to catch up with the US when it comes to private higher-end healthcare cost...

Going to a local doctor always was relatively cheap for me - rarely spent more than S$30, but then again, those doctors don't know jack squat. If you have a cold with fever, blocked nose and cough, they will give you a pill for each symptom - one for fever, another to relieve clogged nose, and a separate one for cough. :shock:

The cost of private hospitals though, is mind-boggling (though not as expensive as the US yet). We had to go only once, when my wife had appendicitis. She had an operation and stayed in the hospital one night to recover. Total bill? S$10,000 ! Another time, we had to go to an nose & ear specialist to remove an insect from her ear... took 10 mins, cost S$800 (no pills or anasthesia, btw)!


I absolutely agree with the cough and cold comments. I always end up with four different medications when all I really want is the antibiotics if it includes a chest infection and something to reduce the fever. The rest are just waste of time potions for trying to alleviate something that has no cure, the common cold!

I am shocked at experiences with private hospitals. Twice my wife has had a D&C after unsuccessful pregnancies requiring a surgeon, anesthetist, nursing care and in a private room (although not overnight).

Thomson Medical, each time S$2,000 total cost. I thought that was pretty good actually.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:38 am

Oh, am I being naive? Surely the UK National Health Service is the model health care system?

Free health care for the masses funded by central taxation. I know the beast has many flaws but still it should be the envy of the world I would have thought.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10418
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:16 pm

Steve1960 wrote:Oh, am I being naive? Surely the UK National Health Service is the model health care system?

Free health care for the masses funded by central taxation. I know the beast has many flaws but still it should be the envy of the world I would have thought.


Single payer, whatever the model is the way to go.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 1:10 pm

My new company doesn't provide health insurance for my spouse and child. I am considering whether I should buy my own insurance. I have no idea where to start from.

User avatar
triste
Regular
Regular
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue, 02 Jul 2013

Postby triste » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 1:43 pm

zzm9980 wrote:I personally haven't had trouble with waits, almost ever, but agree costs are ridiculous. Wife had a blood and urine test as a part of a check-up, there were four or five separate tests billed at hundred of dollars each (I guess one for each thing they checked for inside those samples?). Now I'm lucky and have amazing insurance so I paid nothing except a $20 co-pay when I visit the doctor, but it's still mind-boggling when I look at the bills I would have paid if i didn't have insurance (or shittier insurance).

I'm not completely convinced in the greatness of Singapore's system though. It never did me wrong, but I was never seriously ill. I always had this strange thought a long term illness would be financial ruin there as the limits on my insurance always seemed way too low. That could just be conditioning from life in the US though.


I'm surprised you haven't had waits in the US. I've been turned away for being 15 minutes late one time to an appt yet have waited over an hour past appt time for the doctor many, many times there. With no appointment in US, it's always been a 4 hour wait minimum. Here I've walked in with no appointment and been seen immediately.

Other than that, I've felt similar regarding cost. To see the local doctor is cheaper and quicker than in the US, no doubt, but I feel that if I had a major illness, I'd have to move back to the states immediately to deal with the cost.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4857
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 2:02 pm

Beer - to retain access to medicare in Australia don't you have to remain tax resident?

Steve - forget private hospitals in Singapore for women's plumbing. In my wifes experience NUH or KKH are the only options.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4857
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 2:06 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
PNGMK wrote:There's a lot of whoo hah about the US medical system and while some of it is justified it's not as bad as it is made out.


Your one small experience means nothing in the context of the larger picture and the situation is far worse than it is made out to be by Republicans.
SNIP
m is seriously broken, far too expensive, and the waits too long.


Yes - friends here have been telling me horrific stories all day. It seems my RX refill is about the only thing I could have done cheaply.

This is an issue for me as my dearest wants us to the move to the USA at some point. It seems I'll need to be employed so I have insurance... or maybe she needs to be employed so she has cover for her family. There doesn't seem to be an affordable option otherwise.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Singapore being praised as model Healthcare model

Postby nakatago » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 3:02 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Singapore has suddenly popped up a few times recently now in the US as a "model" healthcare system.

The video is quite interesting to watch having been there and used this healthcare system.

http://www.vox.com/2014/6/17/5815468/si ... an-the-u-s


Considering how bad I've heard the US healthcare system is, most other systems would be an improvement, Singapore's as flawed as it is.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/cbbn22/third-world-health-care---knoxville--tennessee-edition


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests