Singapore Expats Forum

Boyfriend is SG National, can I get a dependent/spouse pass?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Lilypie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue, 17 Jun 2014

Boyfriend is SG National, can I get a dependent/spouse pass?

Postby Lilypie » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 7:19 pm

Hi everyone,

To start, I have tried searching the forum but I haven't been able to find an exact scenario like my own (maybe due to my terrible searching skill), so if there are any threads or search terms I should try for more information I would appreciate the help!

My boyfriend is a SG national who has been living in Australia with me for the past year. We met 2 years ago in Sg (when I was on a holiday), dated long distance for a year with a trip inbetween of him to Australia, before he moved here to study. His course is now finished and he will be moving back to Singapore in a month for 2-3 years as he starts his career.

We are young and not ready to get married yet (though we have discussed it and may do it if its our only option for staying together). Currently he supports me in Australia as I am starting my own online business. I do not wish to work in Singapore under a Singaporean company (my pay comes from a US company via paypal), so would like to avoid applying for a work Visa.

We have considered me going back and forth between countries on a tourist Visa, but the more I have read the more it seems to be a bad idea.

So the only option seems to be a spouse visa. By Australian law we should qualify as a defacto couple (living together for a year), and we can prove that he supports me as a partner money wise (though I don't know if this relevant?). The only problem is I am finding myself super confused by the MOM and ICA website. I can't even find a spouse visa for a citizen's partner on it at all (only for foreign national's spouses or family), and the ICA website seems to be saying a long term visa pass (LTVP), which by the mom website is for people who want to work in Singapore...

I have also been reading that in some circumstances a marriage certificate itself is not required to be counted as a spouse, though I am not sure how true this is? Is it the case that if you are a defacto couple that it is enough, provided you can prove your relationship has been occurring?

Basically, I am really confused and would love any advice on our situation, or help on where to find advice. Ideal situation is I can move to Singapore long term without needing to find a work sponsor, and without being married officially, though this may just be wishful thinking.

Thanks for your time.

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 7:49 pm

If you registered (and your home country recognises) your de-facto relationship, then this certificate can be accepted by the Singapore authorities and an LTVP issued.
But since the authorities do not like this method, you will face some resistance and may not succeed.
In addition, no kind of paid work is allowed on LTVP - this includes remote work for a foreign employer, no matter where and how it is paid.
You may be able to get away with it under the radar for a while, but Singapore really isn't a place to break any rules!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 8:37 pm

Do a search on 'common law marriage', or 'de facto marriage', it should bring up several previous topics.

Putting it bluntly being shacked-up for a year is unlikely to get you residency. You're really just his girlfriend, and there isn't a girl/boyfriend visa [devil's advocate/their view].

My impression is that de facto marriage equates to effective marriage, i.e. all the shared bills, property etc., photos of you hanging out with his parents/family etc., everything bar the paper certificate.

You're in a tricky position wanting to be treated as if you're effectively married when, from what you say, you're far away from that. SG is a small crowded place and they don't welcome in what is often harshly referred to as 'collateral baggage'. I.e. people/family members who are not positively adding to the SG nation and economy.

It's harsh I know, but there no way to sugar coat it.

p.s. @Beppi, after a period of marriage (a year?) you can apply for an LTVP+. That '+', is the right to work. I got one as a just-in case back-up plan...

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9290
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 9:34 pm

I am not sure if the common law marriage approach is going to work if one of them is an SG citizen.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34527
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:34 pm

x9200 is correct. You will not get a visa of any sort as Singapore doesn't recognize the relationship if it consists of one party is a Singapore Citizen. If that were the case, you would have single guys here trying to shack up with local girls and claiming de facto relationships. If one of the partners is a SC all bets are off. You can try, but I think you will find it to be an exercise in frustration and little else. To add more, he was only in Australia due to studies and not a PR with a proper job. Going to be very hard, nay, probably impossible.....

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:40 pm

Yes, good point, and it has to be mentioned each time. The 'common law route' only works if a persons common law marriage is considered de facto marriage in the home jurisdiction. If they (back home) won't regard it as such, SG won't even entertain the discussion.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5055
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:26 am

Nope. Just because you live in Australia where living in sin is condoned doesn't mean anything in Singapore where the nuclear family model is touted as the end to all social ills.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10607
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:49 am

PNGMK wrote:...you live in Australia where living in sin is condoned...


Segue to photo of PNGMK winding back the clock to the Victorian era.

User avatar
triste
Regular
Regular
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue, 02 Jul 2013

Postby triste » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 2:19 pm

I can't even find a spouse visa for a citizen's partner on it at all (only for foreign national's spouses or family), and the ICA website seems to be saying a long term visa pass (LTVP), which by the mom website is for people who want to work in Singapore...


The LTVP is not for people who want to work in Singapore. It is for spouses of Singapore Citizens and S-Pass holders. You can not work on this pass. There is no pass for you. Get married, find a job here, or do border runs- those are your options.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5055
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 2:25 pm

triste wrote:
I can't even find a spouse visa for a citizen's partner on it at all (only for foreign national's spouses or family), and the ICA website seems to be saying a long term visa pass (LTVP), which by the mom website is for people who want to work in Singapore...


The LTVP is not for people who want to work in Singapore. It is for spouses of Singapore Citizens and S-Pass holders. You can not work on this pass. There is no pass for you. Get married, find a job here, or do border runs- those are your options.


FYI Border runs are not really a viable option these days....even for a scumbag aussie.

User avatar
triste
Regular
Regular
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue, 02 Jul 2013

Postby triste » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 4:59 pm

PNGMK wrote:
triste wrote:
I can't even find a spouse visa for a citizen's partner on it at all (only for foreign national's spouses or family), and the ICA website seems to be saying a long term visa pass (LTVP), which by the mom website is for people who want to work in Singapore...


The LTVP is not for people who want to work in Singapore. It is for spouses of Singapore Citizens and S-Pass holders. You can not work on this pass. There is no pass for you. Get married, find a job here, or do border runs- those are your options.


FYI Border runs are not really a viable option these days....even for a scumbag aussie.


Not for the long-run, no, but if they were in it for the long run, why not get married? Being married is great!

For the short term, they have a better chance of pulling off a few border runs than they do getting a girlfriend visa.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 6:55 pm

triste wrote:The LTVP is not for people who want to work in Singapore. It is for spouses of Singapore Citizens and S-Pass holders. You can not work on this pass.


But by simply putting a tick in a box on the LTVP form, you can apply for an LTVP+. And that does confer a right to work.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5055
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 7:53 pm

triste wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
triste wrote:
I can't even find a spouse visa for a citizen's partner on it at all (only for foreign national's spouses or family), and the ICA website seems to be saying a long term visa pass (LTVP), which by the mom website is for people who want to work in Singapore...


The LTVP is not for people who want to work in Singapore. It is for spouses of Singapore Citizens and S-Pass holders. You can not work on this pass. There is no pass for you. Get married, find a job here, or do border runs- those are your options.


FYI Border runs are not really a viable option these days....even for a scumbag aussie.


Not for the long-run, no, but if they were in it for the long run, why not get married? Being married is great!

For the short term, they have a better chance of pulling off a few border runs than they do getting a girlfriend visa.


Yes - marriage is great.

User avatar
triste
Regular
Regular
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue, 02 Jul 2013

Postby triste » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 8:51 pm

JR8 wrote:
triste wrote:The LTVP is not for people who want to work in Singapore. It is for spouses of Singapore Citizens and S-Pass holders. You can not work on this pass.


But by simply putting a tick in a box on the LTVP form, you can apply for an LTVP+. And that does confer a right to work.


hi! Did you read the OP? They're not married. They're not getting a LTVP+.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 8:53 pm

PNGMK wrote: Yes - marriage is great.


So's child-birth. And the first time you watch Bambi three times in a single weekend.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests