Singapore Expats

Thinking of moving to Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 1:14 pm

Aragorn2000 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I was almost about to pack up and go back to Bangalore, if I didnt find my current job here.
You are Indian. It's trivial for you to work and live there.
All 1st tier India/China cities are not at all attractive to migrants (bc of culture, environment, political climate, etc).

Let me rephrase the question:
If you had Singapore PR, would you still go back to India?
Ofcourse! How does PR help? It will only let me stay jobless in b/w jobs and finally someone will offer me even lower salary. PR = Local = No need of expat housing uplift.

You still didnt understand my motivation to stay here, its money, thats it!

I posted another article which says there was negative growth of PR population this year. Do you know what that means? If they have given 30k PRs, there are 31K or more people who have ditched their PRs. So you see, more people think like me, than think like you

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 5:11 pm

Negative growth in number of PR may not mean that more people are deserting. It may be due to lesser people getting PR and similar number of people renouncing PR as in the past.

I think you choose to believe in what suits you. Since you are not a PR, you have convinced yourself that PR has no benefits and that leaving Singapore is what you want sooner or later. And yet you have applied for PR.

The biggest benefit of PR is the feeling of welcome. It helps you think positively towards the place you live. It is similar to work, colleagues, boss, etc. Can u be happy if you are bitter towards any of those.

For me, getting a PR did not help me in terms of money or housing or job change. It just made me a little relaxed and positive.

Wd40 wrote:
Aragorn2000 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I was almost about to pack up and go back to Bangalore, if I didnt find my current job here.
All 1st tier India/China cities are not at all attractive to migrants (bc of culture, environment, political climate, etc).

Ofcourse! How does PR help? It will only let me stay jobless in b/w jobs and finally someone will offer me even lower salary. PR = Local = No need of expat housing uplift.

I posted another article which says there was negative growth of PR population this year. Do you know what that means? If they have given 30k PRs, there are 31K or more people who have ditched their PRs. So you see, more people think like me, than think like you

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 5:59 pm

midlet2013 wrote:Negative growth in number of PR may not mean that more people are deserting. It may be due to lesser people getting PR and similar number of people renouncing PR as in the past.

I think you choose to believe in what suits you. Since you are not a PR, you have convinced yourself that PR has no benefits and that leaving Singapore is what you want sooner or later. And yet you have applied for PR.

The biggest benefit of PR is the feeling of welcome. It helps you think positively towards the place you live. It is similar to work, colleagues, boss, etc. Can u be happy if you are bitter towards any of those.

For me, getting a PR did not help me in terms of money or housing or job change. It just made me a little relaxed and positive.

It also probably bogged you down to a place longer than you should stay. Like JR8 mentioned every place has a time to come and a time to go.

How can a PR make you relaxed and positive? Its only if you have made up your mind to stay here at any cost, thats when having PR helps. Now why would you want to stay here at any cost, that simply beats me.

They had already started reducing the number of PRs being given out from the last few years and the number is now constant to about 30k. So its really more people giving up PR and going. I personally know PR colleagues who gave up their PRs withdrew their CPF and went back to India, when they found their career was going nowhere here.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 6:57 pm

When I said relaxed, it does not mean that I am gonna live here permanently. It has nothing to do with it. Whether u want to stay here or not, getting PR has a positive impact on how you view this place. Getting rejected changes ones perspective.

In reality, I think u have worked here longer than I have. Its only my 2nd year of work here though I studied here. So, I want to stick it out for another 1-2 years to build domain expertise.

My only point was that whether I live here or not in the long run, having PR makes me see this place as a place that welcome me. And that is a positive thought.

If you think PR equals to desperation to settle here at any cost, you are wrong. It just opens a door which u may or may not take.

Wd40 wrote:
midlet2013 wrote:Negative growth in number of PR may not mean that more people are deserting. It may be due to lesser people getting PR and similar number of people renouncing PR as in the past.

It also probably bogged you down to a place longer than you should stay. Like JR8 mentioned every place has a time to come and a time to go.

How can a PR make you relaxed and positive? Its only if you have made up your mind to stay here at any cost, thats when having PR helps. Now why would you want to stay here at any cost, that simply beats me.

They had already started reducing the number of PRs being given out from the last few years and the number is now constant to about 30k. So its really more people giving up PR and going. I personally know PR colleagues who gave up their PRs withdrew their CPF and went back to India, when they found their career was going nowhere here.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 7:24 pm

midlet2013 wrote:The biggest benefit of PR is the feeling of welcome. It helps you think positively towards the place you live. It is similar to work, colleagues, boss, etc. Can u be happy if you are bitter towards any of those.
That is just plain silly.

So is being so lazy as to spell you as 'u'.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 11:01 pm

Not silly. Its just my thought. U guys have spent so much time complaining that its hard for u to see someone not complaining.

Brah wrote:
midlet2013 wrote:The biggest benefit of PR is the feeling of welcome. It helps you think positively towards the place you live. It is similar to work, colleagues, boss, etc. Can u be happy if you are bitter towards any of those.
That is just plain silly.

So is being so lazy as to spell you as 'u'.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 11:10 pm

No, not at all. What helps me think positively about the place I live, ie, Singapore, was security, knowing that I couldn't be tossed on a moment's notice if I lost my job.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 12 Sep 2014 12:14 am

Strong Eagle wrote: What helps me think positively about the place I live, ie, Singapore, was security, knowing that I couldn't be tossed on a moment's notice if I lost my job.
Was that because you worked at your own company, because I feel this place employees have very little rights.

In fact, people get moved here from places like Japan so that they can be fired.

Now if whoever first mentioned security was referring to public safety, this place is as but not more safe than Japan, and both are a lot safer than most other places.

If it was regarding safety of work availability, well we all know that ship sailed a long time ago.

Or, I could read some of the thread and find out for myself.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 12 Sep 2014 1:20 am

Wd40 wrote:
Aragorn2000 wrote:

Your posts here make me chuckle so much. We should make a sticky thread that quotes a few of your old pre-PR rejection and post-PR rejection posts and title it "This is why Indians don't get PRs".

Some people, especially from places like India, have motive and desires beyond pure financial I know, it's hard to believe given how so many act, but it is true. Some people see Bangalore and the rest of India as a giant shit-hole for which no amount of money exists which would make them enjoy it. Who cares how nice your giant gated house in Koramangala if the streets are still loaded with shit, dust, and people and dogs dying in the street.