Singapore Expats

Thinking of moving to Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 1:08 pm

Wd40 wrote:Aragorn2000, you cannot paint all 3rd world countries with the same brush. Specifically, both Indian and Chinese Tier 1 cities have better opportunities than Singapore.
I know. But do you want to live there? Why are you still here?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 1:09 pm

Aragorn2000 wrote:- healthcare: with less than 1000 SGD premium per year, people can enjoy the best care from private hospitals here.
It would be a good joke if this was not involving people's health and life.

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 1:12 pm

x9200 wrote:
Aragorn2000 wrote:- healthcare: with less than 1000 SGD premium per year, people can enjoy the best care from private hospitals here.
care to explain?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 1:12 pm

Aragorn2000 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Aragorn2000, you cannot paint all 3rd world countries with the same brush. Specifically, both Indian and Chinese Tier 1 cities have better opportunities than Singapore.
I know. But do you want to live there? Why are you still here?
Absolutely! I was almost about to pack up and go back to Bangalore, if I didnt find my current job here. The only reason I stay here is because I make slightly more Income savings here than in India. The day, I realize I am saving even a penny less than Bangalore, I am moving out.

Also as an NRI, I get better returns on my Indian Fixed deposits than local Indians in India get, because I pay 0 tax and locals pay 33% tax, thats an icing on the cake. I have more than 200K SGD in NRE fixed deposits and that earns me 9% per annum, if I move to India, the returns will be only like 6% after tax

Blade
Regular
Regular

Post by Blade » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 1:19 pm

So, still here? Why?.

You should have tried Hk with the other 'FLITHS' instead of idling around in greasy overalls and staying in flood prone areas and complaining about the price of beer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBtK48Y5AEw

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 1:25 pm

Ofcourse, I will try HK, AU, UK, NZ, US everywhere when the risk reward ratio of staying here goes out of favour, for the moment its going on good. But I know plenty of my colleagues/friends who lost their jobs here and moved to India, US, Australia and UK and they are doing just fine, in fact much better. They didnt hang on here, which was the right thing they did.

Most regulars on this forum are in yellow fever marriages which is why they are still here.
Last edited by Wd40 on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blade
Regular
Regular

Post by Blade » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 1:29 pm

there was Indian influence over all of south east asia
And your point is?

Nothing like a good 3 years stint in Magical Singapore eh.. viz racism,Xenophobia and bigotry.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 1:34 pm

Aragorn2000 wrote:
x9200 wrote:
care to explain?
Multiple cases of MD incompetence of various severity. Many first hand unfortunately affecting our family, some tragic 2nd hand, simply unbelievable. Hit rate from my experience is at least 90%. And yes, some of the best private hospitals inclusive.
As you could imagine it is rather long story to tell so if you are really curious it has to wait for a better occasion. More on the joke side but well illustrating some issues, I had to instruct ones medical personnel of one of the big hospitals what to do when somebody faints.

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 2:02 pm

x9200 wrote:
Aragorn2000 wrote:
x9200 wrote: It would be a good joke if this was not involving people's health and life.
care to explain?
Multiple cases of MD incompetence of various severity. Many first hand unfortunately affecting our family, some tragic 2nd hand, simply unbelievable. Hit rate from my experience is at least 90%. And yes, some of the best private hospitals inclusive.
As you could imagine it is rather long story to tell so if you are really curious it has to wait for a better occasion. More on the joke side but well illustrating some issues, I had to instruct ones medical personnel of one of the big hospitals what to do when somebody faints.
I really would like to hear more. My experience with MDs here is generally positive. But I have never had any serious diseases (touch wood) to test how really good the health care is.
My point was that in Singapore, with relatively cheap insurance, people can choose the most expensive therapy without having to worry about money.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 2:19 pm

Singapore insurance doesnt cover pregnancy. Also they have way too many fine print and stuff like existing diseases not covered etc.

I know many people who shudder at the thought of delivering baby here, considering that costs can soar in cases of complications. Compare that with people bend over backwards to deliver their babies in US or Australia, even if they are there only for 1 yr. Ofcourse the lure for getting US or Australia citizenship is the prime factor, yet, I have never heard anyone concerned about the cost.

Blade
Regular
Regular

Post by Blade » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 3:04 pm

Well, you are a classic example of the 1000s who were duped and taken in by the Magical Singapore glossy brochure.What was it presented as to people of the Sub-continent? http://www.contactsingapore.sg/ or some other lame shite?.Read and try not to cringe.

But kudos to you for realising sooner than later and probably brave enough to take action.And yes you should have your baby in USA -just make sure you hv Med ins.

If it's any consolation 1000s of Singaporeans [white collar] who are able and have the means are migrating out of this Never,Neverland also.

Soon it will left with only Pinoys,ATBBs,ABNNs and very few locals [the ones that cannot get away] and of course the Elites who are untouchables.And then you wonder what's the hype about? Hello no Singaporeans lah!.

Alas,there are some who have been here 30 years and have grown skin thicker than Barney the Crocodile.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 5:59 pm

Aragorn2000 wrote: Why aren't you allowed to post that?
I was rather hoping that that question might go unanswered, but it's not and it's simpler if I try and clarify. I don't think it is the point itself that's somehow off-limits, it was explained as a wish that any such discussion would not risk becoming a focus of negativity, (which perhaps brings a risk that the next step is 'bashing'). Fair enough. At that time I was more trying to express the subconscious psychology of one's outlook when one is new, vs when one knows one is heading towards the exit.

Aragorn2000 wrote:My opinion is that some people may want out, but there are no better options. This place can offer the following to young professionals from 3rd world countries that no where else can:
Doesn't that assume we all share your profile? If you go to a forum 'Eagle's Gathering' you'll see that plenty of us are neither young-profs nor ex-3rd world.

Aragorn2000 wrote:- jobs: skilled professionals only need to care about bad jobs or good jobs. No fear of unemployment. Most importantly, very easy to get a work pass/PR here compared to anywhere else.
'In your personal experience'.

I very much doubt I can. And my late father-in-law, indirectly killed by medical negligence (with the hospital later resoundingly sued) would disagree with you too...

Aragorn2000 wrote:- safety: it feels so safe here (may be just an illusion).
Depends. Safe vs what or who?

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 7:47 pm

Wd40 wrote:Most regulars on this forum are in yellow fever marriages which is why they are still here.
Hey now don't say that, and it's not accurate and not the reason I'm here nor many others.

My case is not too unlike yours, am only here for the work and will leave as soon as I can get something in one of the places I want to live next.

When I moved here there was much more interest beyond that, but then reality set in. It's not a hardship posting but not anywhere near where I prefer to be.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 7:50 pm

JR8 wrote:
Aragorn2000 wrote: Why aren't you allowed to post that?
I was rather hoping that that question might go unanswered, but it's not and it's simpler if I try and clarify. I don't think it is the point itself that's somehow off-limits, it was explained as a wish that any such discussion would not risk becoming a focus of negativity, (which perhaps brings a risk that the next step is 'bashing'). Fair enough. At that time I was more trying to express the subconscious psychology of one's outlook when one is new, vs when one knows one is heading towards the exit.
I asked that as well the other day. But seems sensitive so will let this dog lie.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 8:04 pm

Blade wrote:So, still here? Why?.
You should have tried Hk with the other 'FLITHS' instead of idling around in greasy overalls and staying in flood prone areas and complaining about the price of beer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBtK48Y5AEw

Because get paid a lot because locals cannot even spell 'FILTH' eh? :)
Funny video eh, and very true. Even an FT rubbish collector can make it big here in Asia, that's what you're saying correck ah?

I'm a little surprised you're still here, repeatedly attacking the Mods, and expats in general on what is an expat site, it's quite short-sighted.