Singapore Expats

Thinking of moving to Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Blade
Regular
Regular

Post by Blade » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:19 am

WSSL? Wow, you are of those bottom dwellers AMDK? OK maybe on the No.70 and 103 they didn't bother with A/C.For obvious reasons.

I said 1990 not 1900s.

BTW after the 1968 catastrophic floods they up-graded Ulu Pandan so there were no floods inland-wide until the Marina Barrage.

Check you facts or increase your dosage... lah.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 7:22 am

Blade wrote:WSSL? Wow, you are of those bottom dwellers AMDK? OK maybe on the No.70 and 103 they didn't bother with A/C.For obvious reasons.

I said 1990 not 1900s.
You don't know too much about your own country, do you. Even in the mid of 2000s there were still lines regularly services by buses without A/C and I am not talking about break downs. Probably your only correct statement was about the food. Prior to 2005 or so the rental was also more reasonable. That's roughly it.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 7:41 am

Seems curious suggesting the 90s were 'golden years'. The tangible daily sense of paranoia towards the government, fear of expressing opinions, lack of access to the media, or foreign TV, lists of banned CDs, books, censored films, MDA 'police' who would stop rock concerts mid-way if anyone dared to stand up, government moderators on the few internet fora ('newsgroups') that were tolerated, and so on: In comparison it is a much more relaxing place to live nowadays. I'm not suggesting it was like North Korea mind you...

Ha yes I remember the non-A/C buses. Damn they were hot, even with the windows open. In fact I don't think the windows ever got closed so they'd be half flooded inside if it had recently rained. Didn't make for a fun journey.

Flooding is perpetual here... refer here for a list of 30+ floods in recent years...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010–13_Singapore_floods

^ for what ever reason the link pastes 'broken'. But cut/paste the entire string to a browser window and it should be ok.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 7:57 am

From my understanding, the 80s and 90s, Singapore felt even more like a Chinese province. Lot more of the same type of people here. I heard Chinese New Year in those days were a real curfew, nobody gets out and everything closed.

Now, Singapore is slightly more cosmopolitan and can be called a global city, there is slightly more variety of people here and that's what is pricking the blade.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 8:12 am

JR8 wrote:I think with many things there is a time to come, and also a time to go. You have the initial excitement to arrive, and the final relief to have been, and go. Both are very distinct 'life phases'.

When you arrive, you tend to go in with fresh eyes full of wonder. Sometimes that changes. As time makes one less forgiving, especially when you know you are coming to leave.
Well said, though I also agree with Arizona5 (not that you don't as well).

This part is what got me though:
JR8 wrote:I wanted to post about the latter, as a realisation, a stage (that all of us will experience) but essentially got told I 'wasn't allowed to'.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 8:15 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Right in their face. Or as they would say here, right ON your face. :roll:
This reminds me, can we puleeze get a sticky for mangled idioms like this? Some are downright Norm Crosby or Yogi Berra malapropisms, though without the intent.

At one point I had quite a collection but forget them now. But new ones come up every day.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:20 am

Blade wrote:You guys don't get it.

The Singapore of today bears no resemblance to the Singapore of the late 1990s and 2000s.

That was our golden period [not even talking about the 1980s] everything worked,no crazy congestion,food was authentic,MRT doesn't make that zany rattling sound.I could play tennis at SICC and never hear a word of Sindi.I could go on..
Talking about Sindi, did you know that there was Indian influence over all of south east asia, way before the British brought peasants into this country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_India

Also did you know the origin of the word "Singapore"?

Some English scholars did, in the end of the last century, introduce a theory claiming that Singapore is derived from Sanskrit word for lion, singha, and the word pura, meaning city.
http://www.focussingapore.com/informati ... qWINc.dpuf

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:44 am

Blade wrote:WSSL? Wow, you are of those bottom dwellers AMDK? OK maybe on the No.70 and 103 they didn't bother with A/C.For obvious reasons.

I said 1990 not 1900s.

BTW after the 1968 catastrophic floods they up-graded Ulu Pandan so there were no floods inland-wide until the Marina Barrage.

Check you facts or increase your dosage... lah.
Seriously, wuss, you don't know too much about your own country, except for maybe which buses used to run to the camp gates and that's probably only because you had to do NS out there. I lived there for well over a decade until I bought my flat 16 years ago.

I lived in Watten Estates opposite Coronation Plaza in the Early 1980's. That's why I know about the taxi's there and working in Jurong (Sixth Lock Yang Road). I well remember the floods of 1984.

http://rememberingsingapore.blogspot.sg ... apore.html

Maybe "you" should go see a doc and get something yourself. Your mind is very befuddled. But then again, what to expect. It's probably the best it's ever been, which sadly, leaves a lot to be desired. Although, having said that, you could probably sell your brain for a lot of money to science. It like brand new, having never been used. If you are what they are calling a True Blue, this country is in a dire situation.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Blade
Regular
Regular

Post by Blade » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:06 am

Definetly the 90s.For true blue Singaporeans lah.. not 'others', drifters,vagabonds and various beachcoombers.

Btw even a parasite plant on a Tumbusu tree knows what SPG stands for.You sure 30 years?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:18 am

One thing the locals have never learned is how to bow out gracefully. Instead the start lashing out on inconsequential facts or other garbage when they have lost the debate. You, my friend, are a prime example as exhibited by your last post. =D> :-({|=
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:30 am

Generalize much now do we? After 30 years here you still have a very strong me vs them mentality in some of the posts I've seen. Whatever happened to tarring brushes and all that?
sundaymorningstaple wrote:One thing the locals have never learned is how to bow out gracefully. Instead the start lashing out on inconsequential facts or other garbage when they have lost the debate. You, my friend, are a prime example as exhibited by your last post. =D> :-({|=

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:32 am

Blade wrote:Definetly the 90s.For true blue Singaporeans lah..
Are these 'true blues' the ones the founding British administration ruling Singapore at the time imported into Malaya as cheap labour from China?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:43 pm

Sporkin wrote:Generalize much now do we? After 30 years here you still have a very strong me vs them mentality in some of the posts I've seen. Whatever happened to tarring brushes and all that?
sundaymorningstaple wrote:One thing the locals have never learned is how to bow out gracefully. Instead the start lashing out on inconsequential facts or other garbage when they have lost the debate. You, my friend, are a prime example as exhibited by your last post. =D> :-({|=
It's getting stronger as well. As more and more show their true colours here, I'm getting more and more disallusioned here and have practically accepted that most are cut from the same bolt of LKY woven fabric, complete with dropped stitches and all. I have my own brood of them as well, but fortunately, they are only half-way indoctrinated. Sure there are the rare exceptions to the rule, but most of them tend to immigrate so you don't see them all that much, just leaving the rabble here. I try not to "tar" them all, but the last three years has taken it toll on even the strongest of us. As more and more of my small subsidies are taken away, the longer I stay to contribute here, just to please the true-blues (whatever in the hell they actually are) the less charitable I seem to become. That, or I just don't have the patience with idiots that I used to have. Blame that on age. I just passed 67 so am getting rather set in my ways I guess. If I stepped on any toes, I'm not apologizing, as, the way I see it, if you are a local, and not part of the solution, you have to be part of the problem. Only card carrying PAP politicians are adept at sitting on the fence.

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:58 pm

JR8 wrote:I think with many things there is a time to come, and also a time to go. You have the initial excitement to arrive, and the final relief to have been, and go. Both are very distinct 'life phases'.

When you arrive, you tend to go in with fresh eyes full of wonder. Sometimes that changes. As time makes one less forgiving, especially when you know you are coming to leave.

I wanted to post about the latter, as a realisation, a stage (that all of us will experience) but essentially got told I 'wasn't allowed to'.
Why aren't you allowed to post that?

My opinion is that some people may want out, but there are no better options. This place can offer the following to young professionals from 3rd world countries that no where else can:

- jobs: skilled professionals only need to care about bad jobs or good jobs. No fear of unemployment. Most importantly, very easy to get a work pass/PR here compared to anywhere else.

- healthcare: with less than 1000 SGD premium per year, people can enjoy the best care from private hospitals here.

- safety: it feels so safe here (may be just an illusion).

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 1:07 pm

Aragorn2000, you cannot paint all 3rd world countries with the same brush. Specifically, both Indian and Chinese Tier 1 cities have better opportunities than Singapore.

In fact high flying professionals from Mumbai and Shanghai dont relocate to Singapore. Its only people tier II, tier III cities and villages that move to Singapore
Last edited by Wd40 on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.