Singapore Expats

Bus does not stop at Bus Stop

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Bus does not stop at Bus Stop

Post by martincymru » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 4:04 pm

7am Sunday eve, 10 people at Bus Stop Sun Tec heading east.

Bus 196 did not stop. Bus had 12-16 people on board. Going fast, around 30-35 mph. Obviously the driver is not hourly paid, sooner he ends the route, sooner he goes home.

Seems a new rule; You have to flag down any/every bus at every major/minor bus stop if you want it stop.

Anyone had similar experience?

Seems daft to me.

They are changing the bus "model" so this policy might change .....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 7:00 pm

Hate to tell you this, but it's always been that way. Doesn't matter if the bus if absolutely empty, if you don't flag down the bus it wont stop. Even if it's the only buss that plies that route, it will not stop unless you flag it down as lots of people are only in the stop to rest their feet, get relief from the sun or rain. So the next time you want a bus, stick yer flipper out there! :lol: :wink:

In fact, check out the signs inside of the bus and also within the bus stop, there is usually one admonishing the fare to signal the bus "in plenty of time".
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 9:29 pm

They used to pull this stunt a lot back on the non-aircon days, but nowadays I'd be surprised if they did it, because their ass will be grass.

MartinSmith

Post by MartinSmith » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:05 pm

I've never lived in a country where you haven't needed to flag the bus down to be honest. I always just assumed that was an almost International assumption. I have been standing at bus stops over here where everyone is waiting on someone else to waive down the bus, which is a bit weird. But Singapore does tend to have a lot of social etiquette oddities.