Singapore Expats Forum

Bl.ood st.ained Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 6:24 am

Blade wrote:And BTW go find out what the word Xenophobic means.

We are certainly not, infact We have been welcoming outsiders for 300 years.


300? Where you get that number ah? You country found in 1819 leh?
that too by British ma, who gave you independence in 1960s, since then its been like 50 odd years.

half the "true blue" oldies strangely seem to be doing menial work in hawker centers so much to your claims otherwise.

I think they still know how to use their hands more productively than you who seem to not know how to use a keyboard even.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 7:35 am

Blade wrote:Singapore version 1, was built by guess who: Singaporeans.


Incorrect, It was founded and built by the British.

You do know who Raffles was I take it?

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 8:28 am

Maybe we should invite Blade to the next Eagles meet and see if this person has the balls to repeat all the ignorant, uneducated, racist, venomous drivel face to face............................

User avatar
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu, 01 Aug 2013

Postby Fortan » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 8:33 am

Blade wrote:We are certainly not, infact We have been welcoming outsiders for 300 years.


I thought Singapore was only 49 years old?

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 8:49 am

...which would mean our dear Blade could be a Malay, also known as the native-borns. If you work that 300 years backwards.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10412
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 9:57 am

JR8 wrote:
Blade wrote:Singapore version 1, was built by guess who: Singaporeans.


Incorrect, It was founded and built by the British.

You do know who Raffles was I take it?


In name perhaps, JR8... but Singapore history goes way back... it has been an active port with various sultans in charge, all the way back to the 1300's.

It was active long before the British got here... and they got here in order to negate the monopoly that the Dutch had over the spice trade.

Certainly, the British and Raffles, in particular, changed the face and nature of Singapore... but it was here long before the British arrived.

However, I wonder what it is that Blade thinks the original Singaporeans, a combination of Malay and Chinese, actually built. Not Marina Bay, methinks, nor the houses of parliament.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 10:04 am

Strong Eagle wrote: In name perhaps, JR8... but Singapore history goes way back... it has been an active port with various sultans in charge, all the way back to the 1300's.
It was active long before the British got here... and they got here in order to negate the monopoly that the Dutch had over the spice trade.
Certainly, the British and Raffles, in particular, changed the face and nature of Singapore... but it was here long before the British arrived.
However, I wonder what it is that Blade thinks the original Singaporeans, a combination of Malay and Chinese, actually built. Not Marina Bay, methinks, nor the houses of parliament.



Agreed, perhaps 'modern Singapore' would be the appropriate term.

p.s. And did you know we founded America (and most of Africa) too bwahahaha :P :lol:

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10412
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:27 am

JR8 wrote:p.s. And did you know we founded America (and most of Africa) too bwahahaha :P :lol:


And indeed... if it had not been for such a greedy bunch of bastards and humps in British parliament, the USA might yet have been a member of the Commonwealth. Britain learned its lessons and treated other emerging nations with much more diplomacy.

Perhaps the subject of another thread... British rule over large parts of the world.

For example, when the British displaced the Dutch in South Africa, they opposed slavery and in 1833, the Empire wide edict abolished all slavery in the Commonwealth, ZA included.

Maybe, I'll split this off as a new topic... Effects of British Colonization Upon the World... Good or Bad?

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:42 am

The blog post was taken down since. But the furore of Singaporeans over the xenophobic title bestowed upon them, has gone to the point that they brought up the 1995 incident, where Singapore flags and effigies of Singaporean officials got burned, stomped and spat on by the Filipinos in protest over hanging of a Filipino for murder in Singapore.

The argument was, if that blog post was deemed xenophobic by the Filipinos (or sympathising foreigners), then the desecration of Singapore flag was genocidal in comparison by Singaporeans.

I just learned of this today. Not sure if bringing up history bears any standing in current argument.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9264
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:58 am

the lynx wrote:The blog post was taken down since. But the furore of Singaporeans over the xenophobic title bestowed upon them, has gone to the point that they brought up the 1995 incident, where Singapore flags and effigies of Singaporean officials got burned, stomped and spat on by the Filipinos in protest over hanging of a Filipino for murder in Singapore.

The argument was, if that blog post was deemed xenophobic by the Filipinos (or sympathising foreigners), then the desecration of Singapore flag was genocidal in comparison by Singaporeans.

I just learned of this today. Not sure if bringing up history bears any standing in current argument.


last I saw was the PH embassy having filed a protest to the SG govt, and ... this maybe a bit overboard - a warning to PH citizens to call the PH embassy hotline if subject to any racial abuse ....

then again a lot of Singaporean are wondering loudly if the PH embassy will also rein in those Filipino keyboard warriors going to extreme nastiness about all things Singapore ....

re the burning of the SG flag post Flor Contempacion hanging history says Ph didn't even apologize ... as the then PH president was playing to their galleries ... and even called her a hero ....

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:01 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Maybe, I'll split this off as a new topic... Effects of British Colonization Upon the World... Good or Bad?


Way too complicated to answer. While some good was done, so many bad things have also come about. Modern-day Islamic extremists can be directly traced to British meddling on the Arabian peninsula. Mainly as a counter-force to the Ottoman empire who occupied the territory, so the Brits could get oil. :) Israel/Palestine? India/Pakistan? Most of the Middle-East? etc...

User avatar
Blade
Regular
Regular
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon, 25 Jun 2007

Postby Blade » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:06 pm

"SINGAPORE IS 49 YEARS OLD????"

This is the stuff you guys are fed?

What was it before then ? a Banana plantation?

:shock:

Oh, don't get your knickers all knotted up we love the Ukraine and Pinoy [Spanish half ancestry type] girls at Girly bars.More should come! ha ha..

"However, I wonder what it is that Blade thinks the original Singaporeans, a combination of Malay and Chinese, actually built. Not Marina Bay, methinks, nor the houses of parliament"

We built the SINGAPORE BRAND.It's not something physical like the grotesque MBS or Gardens by the Bay..GET IT?
Last edited by Blade on Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:09 pm

ecureilx wrote:
the lynx wrote:The blog post was taken down since. But the furore of Singaporeans over the xenophobic title bestowed upon them, has gone to the point that they brought up the 1995 incident, where Singapore flags and effigies of Singaporean officials got burned, stomped and spat on by the Filipinos in protest over hanging of a Filipino for murder in Singapore.

The argument was, if that blog post was deemed xenophobic by the Filipinos (or sympathising foreigners), then the desecration of Singapore flag was genocidal in comparison by Singaporeans.

I just learned of this today. Not sure if bringing up history bears any standing in current argument.


last I saw was the PH embassy having filed a protest to the SG govt, and ... this maybe a bit overboard - a warning to PH citizens to call the PH embassy hotline if subject to any racial abuse ....

then again a lot of Singaporean are wondering loudly if the PH embassy will also rein in those Filipino keyboard warriors going to extreme nastiness about all things Singapore ....

re the burning of the SG flag post Flor Contempacion hanging history says Ph didn't even apologize ... as the then PH president was playing to their galleries ... and even called her a hero ....


Now is the time to act, on both sides. As you say at the moment the keyboard warriors are exchanging insults but we are only a short step from this hitting the streets and becoming very ugly.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:11 pm

Blade wrote:"SINGAPORE IS 49 YEARS OLD????"

This is the stuff you guys are fed?

What was it before then ? a Banana plantation?

:shock:

Oh, don't get your knickers all knotted up we love the Ukraine and Pinoy [Spanish half ancestry type] girls at Girly bars.More should come! ha ha..


So Singaporeans pay prostitutes for sex. Is that what makes you so elite your high moral standards?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:34 pm

Nothing like a bit of condescending race-based hatred as 'bread and circuses' for the proles.

Whiteys last month, Indians last week, Pinoys this. What a charming and tolerant place this is (not).


[tags: feel the political diversion and play on popular bitterness]


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests