Singapore Expats Forum

Bl.ood st.ained Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

User avatar
Blade
Regular
Regular
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon, 25 Jun 2007

Postby Blade » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:20 pm

Congratulations for holding your own against the 'peens, prc, M'sia, Indo & even VN'. [sic]

Really happy for you.You 'made it' in the tiny,little Red Dot.

We actually aim higher than that when we attend Grifton College,Cambridge,Oxfam or any of the Ivy League colleges in the US.

Singaporeans due to high IQ excel, routinely upping the ratings, re-writing the standards there and will further our education and careers in the truly,amazing WORLD CLASS [all below No.1] major cities of NY,London,HK etc.We hold ourselves up against the whole world get it? Why do you think we are No.1 and you are not?

Off you go to work harder in the Little Red Dot to increase our GDP for us even more.Thank you for that.
Last edited by Blade on Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opinionatedman
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu, 24 Apr 2014

Postby opinionatedman » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:20 pm

Sing Along wrote:
Fortan wrote:
Sing Along wrote:Hear about how they demand lower wages because they don't intend to set root in Singapore


Never heard of anyone demanding lower wages.... that's a new one for me....


Sorry, I should rephrase it. Demand lower wages than Singaporeans coz they do not have to pay the expenses associated with living in Singapore permanently.

You can hear many stories of PRs getting a HDB, then selling it for a tidy profit when they leave while young Singaporeans can't start a family due to the high prices.



Well this is classical case of xenophobia.

Having said that, look at it from a management point of view, if they are getting the same kind of work with at par salary, why would they care to employ someone who will demand much more, cos he has to shell out an EMI for new house before he marries and goes for a vacation to the gold coast.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:27 pm

Blade wrote:.
Singaporeans due to high IQ excel.We hold ourselves up against the whole world get it? Why do you think we are No.1 and you are not?


yes this is precisely the reason Singapore has won a grand total of zero Nobel Prizes.

:roll:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby yogaloungeforever » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:28 pm

Not that I am pro-singapore but talking to my local (Singapore'orean) friends and I feel for them. One chap with a wife and 3 college-going kids was literally laid off within 24 hours and replaced by a foreigner. Another is on a 400k loan for a HDB and has to put having kids on hold because of low wages (wife not doing any better either and they keep giving her contract work).

As for hiring managers hiring their own kind it's been debated over and over again in this forum and i have seen this practiced all over Singapore. As a M'asian I know I am not the only one and when I go out for lunch we (locals and M'asians alike) gossip. And we know for a fact that it's always easier for hiring managers to hire their own kind - easy to manage and control. Which is why the quality of work is terrible. I have stated in my other post about an Indian PM (who amazingly obtained his SPR) does not even know how to set up a project plan and schedule. Amazing how he's even paid $8k! Not surprisingly 3 months post go-live and there so many problems that the European side was complaining a lot about the competency of this Indian PM.

It's good that the government is putting in policies with regards to HDBs and I believe the work permits and PRs are slowly coming into place.

Lastly as for Pinoys, they are not exactly bad people but they have this tendency to back-stab.
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

User avatar
Sing Along
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri, 20 Jun 2014

Postby Sing Along » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:33 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
Sing Along wrote:
Fortan wrote:
Sing Along wrote:Hear about how they demand lower wages because they don't intend to set root in Singapore


Never heard of anyone demanding lower wages.... that's a new one for me....


Sorry, I should rephrase it. Demand lower wages than Singaporeans coz they do not have to pay the expenses associated with living in Singapore permanently.

You can hear many stories of PRs getting a HDB, then selling it for a tidy profit when they leave while young Singaporeans can't start a family due to the high prices.



are you suggesting that a PR who buys a HDB should not sell his house at a profit? okay then.


If it is private housing, by all means. If it is public housing and they are cashing out to return to their home countries, I have an issue.

If they intend to stay on in Singapore to contribute, have their sons serve NS and make this their permanent home, I have no issue.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:46 pm

Sing Along wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
Sing Along wrote:
Fortan wrote:
Sing Along wrote:Hear about how they demand lower wages because they don't intend to set root in Singapore


Never heard of anyone demanding lower wages.... that's a new one for me....


Sorry, I should rephrase it. Demand lower wages than Singaporeans coz they do not have to pay the expenses associated with living in Singapore permanently.

You can hear many stories of PRs getting a HDB, then selling it for a tidy profit when they leave while young Singaporeans can't start a family due to the high prices.



are you suggesting that a PR who buys a HDB should not sell his house at a profit? okay then.


If it is private housing, by all means. If it is public housing and they are cashing out to return to their home countries, I have an issue.

If they intend to stay on in Singapore to contribute, have their sons serve NS and make this their permanent home, I have no issue.


your point is quite valid, but then again there are no stringent rules in place to prevent it from happening, so who do you blame ? the PR who's looking for a quick buck or the loopholes in the law that allow this to happen?
Since HDB happens to be public housing, its time they wake up and realize that their houses shouldn't be subjected to drastic profit margins. its quite a simple rule to implement isn't it ?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby yogaloungeforever » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:55 pm

Well then if it's simple to you it shouldn't be that difficult to have proper toilets built all over India (villages and cities alike)!


rajagainstthemachine wrote:
your point is quite valid, but then again there are no stringent rules in place to prevent it from happening, so who do you blame ? the PR who's looking for a quick buck or the loopholes in the law that allow this to happen?
Since HDB happens to be public housing, its time they wake up and realize that their houses shouldn't be subjected to drastic profit margins. its quite a simple rule to implement isn't it ?
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

User avatar
triste
Regular
Regular
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue, 02 Jul 2013

Postby triste » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:57 pm

Sing Along wrote:
Fortan wrote:
Sing Along wrote:Hear about how they demand lower wages because they don't intend to set root in Singapore


Never heard of anyone demanding lower wages.... that's a new one for me....


Sorry, I should rephrase it. Demand lower wages than Singaporeans coz they do not have to pay the expenses associated with living in Singapore permanently.

You can hear many stories of PRs getting a HDB, then selling it for a tidy profit when they leave while young Singaporeans can't start a family due to the high prices.


Those PRs pay more for the HDB than SC, first of all. Secondly, prices are high in Singapore- for food, for diapers, for many costs associated with starting a family, but the subsidy you receive for housing and the fact that you can use your CPF to offset your payment brings the housing cost for Sigaporeans way down. The cost of living permanently in Singapore as a Singaporean is far less than living here as a foreigner for any amount of time- as it should be- but please, don't claim living here is cheaper for foreigners and so they can get by on less because that is just not true.

opinionatedman
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu, 24 Apr 2014

Postby opinionatedman » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 1:00 pm

yogaloungeforever wrote:Well then if it's simple to you it shouldn't be that difficult to have proper toilets built all over India (villages and cities alike)!



At least in India people have excuses for urinating in public, unlike here, where inspite of having more public urinals than houses, people pee in the lifts as posted by SMS earlier.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby yogaloungeforever » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 1:01 pm

Well it's ok to have a job to keep up with the cost of living in Singapore as a citizen but when there's no job it's no fun And I have seen white collar Singapore citizen workers being retrenched for years
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

opinionatedman
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu, 24 Apr 2014

Postby opinionatedman » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 1:14 pm

Blade wrote:Congratulations for holding your own against the 'peens, prc, M'sia, Indo & even VN'. [sic]

Really happy for you.You 'made it' in the tiny,little Red Dot.

We actually aim higher than that when we attend Grifton College,Cambridge,Oxfam or any of the Ivy League colleges in the US.

Singaporeans due to high IQ excel, routinely upping the ratings, re-writing the standards there and will further our education and careers in the truly,amazing WORLD CLASS [all below No.1] major cities of NY,London,HK etc.We hold ourselves up against the whole world get it? Why do you think we are No.1 and you are not?

Off you go to work harder in the Little Red Dot to increase our GDP for us even more.Thank you for that.



I am increasingly having mixed emotions and swinging between two equally plausible options -

1) This guy has just come out of a mental asylum
2) He is coming from a totally different earth, not ours.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 1:15 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Since HDB happens to be public housing, its time they wake up and realize that their houses shouldn't be subjected to drastic profit margins. its quite a simple rule to implement isn't it ?


'The government' own all the land, and build almost all the housing. Therefore they control prices.

Prices that go up 10, 20%+ ? every year, make a 'money conscious' population feel rich. The fact that most won't realise the money unless they quit is irrelevant.

Rich people have something to lose, and so don't rock the boat.

The illusion of ever-rising property values creates obedient people.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby yogaloungeforever » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 1:17 pm

seeing that you use cow-sense before you shoot i figure the following will be the easiest statement for you to comprehend: if an Indian was allowed to govern this country, we will be nowhere further from where Singapore was a backwater village. Instead of concrete buildings we'll be having a mud roof over our heads. Slums will sit side by side with the city. Cows will still be used as a mode of transport. We'll still be having mud roads. And oh yeah we'll have to run 3 miles for the nearest toilet and that too in the open fields (where 1 in every 3 woman will get rape).

opinionatedman wrote:
yogaloungeforever wrote:Well then if it's simple to you it shouldn't be that difficult to have proper toilets built all over India (villages and cities alike)!



At least in India people have excuses for urinating in public, unlike here, where inspite of having more public urinals than houses, people pee in the lifts as posted by SMS earlier.
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

opinionatedman
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu, 24 Apr 2014

Postby opinionatedman » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 1:27 pm

yogaloungeforever wrote:seeing that you use cow-sense before you shoot i figure the following will be the easiest statement for you to comprehend: if an Indian was allowed to govern this country, we will be nowhere further from where Singapore was a backwater village. Instead of concrete buildings we'll be having a mud roof over our heads. Slums will sit side by side with the city. Cows will still be used as a mode of transport. We'll still be having mud roads. And oh yeah we'll have to run 3 miles for the nearest toilet and that too in the open fields (where 1 in every 3 woman will get rape).




Unfortunately, you know nothing of India, nor UK(from your previous posts)...

Hope you know something about some place....

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 1:28 pm

opinionatedman wrote:I am increasingly having mixed emotions and swinging between two equally plausible options -
1) This guy has just come out of a mental asylum
2) He is coming from a totally different earth, not ours.
:lol: :lol: :lol:



3) He's a troll who has been allowed to remain to provide entertainment for the regulars, it being Friday after all.

But... tick.... tock... it won't remain Friday for long. Enjoy it while it lasts.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests