Do rentals include fridge/washing machine?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Post Reply
TandD
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 4:53 am

Post by TandD » Fri, 27 Jun 2014 10:02 pm

Think I've decided not to bring fridge freezer but we are bringing other stuff as we'll be getting an unfurnished, can't afford to buy a load of furniture. We're hoping they'll put us up in a Serviced Apartment instead, but we'll see.

All the best for the move in July!

Singapore Property Search

 

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 9:11 am

CaptainBullus wrote: Not too impressed with the hotel we're being put up in (Royal Hotel, Newton Rd!) but as it's free for 2 weeks can't really complain!
Read the reviews on Tripadvisor, there's one recent one (April/May?) that talks about rooms in some kind of annexe being better than the main building.

On the plus side, that's a great location to get to familiarise yourself to SG. Bang in the middle between Newton and Novena MRTs. And it's a stroll (800m?) to Newton Hawker Centre*, where familiarising yourselves with the local culinary delights awaits you!


* Google maps indicates NHC as 'Closed' but as I recall that refers to a brief period of closure several years ago now. It is definitely fully open and functioning; a bunch of us went there just last month and had a slap-up meal!

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 9:09 am
Location: Way out West

Post by CaptainBullus » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 7:46 pm

JR8 wrote:On the plus side, that's a great location to get to familiarise yourself to SG. Bang in the middle between Newton and Novena MRTs. And it's a stroll (800m?) to Newton Hawker Centre*, where familiarising yourselves with the local culinary delights awaits you!


* Google maps indicates NHC as 'Closed' but as I recall that refers to a brief period of closure several years ago now. It is definitely fully open and functioning; a bunch of us went there just last month and had a slap-up meal!
When I was a merchant navy cadet and visited Singapore in the '90s, Newton Circus and People's Park were my first taste of Asia. I can't wait to get back and see them again and introduce my better half to their "local culinary delights"! Any outstanding stalls you can remember/recommend?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 9:21 pm

CaptainBullus wrote: When I was a merchant navy cadet and visited Singapore in the '90s, Newton Circus and People's Park were my first taste of Asia. I can't wait to get back and see them again and introduce my better half to their "local culinary delights"! Any outstanding stalls you can remember/recommend?
Ah good stuff, so you now your way around.

I don't know the PP food centre, not a place I've been and my wife couldn't (cultural, aka pork/lard issues).
However this might interest you... https://sg.entertainment.yahoo.com/news ... 47120.html

Maybe see if you can find an equivalent for Newton? This was a published guide (hard copy handbook) to a lot of coffee shops and stalls nationwide. Useful. I don't know if it's still in print, but this appears to be the associated website. Might be useful ... http://www.makansutra.com You should also find this useful... http://www.hungrygowhere.com

At Newton that time, there was a group of maybe 10 of us. The locals did all the ordering, and we had a *lot* of dishes, from maybe three stalls in total. I don't think they knew which ones to go to, just chose those close by after a browse. My absolute favourite is 'samabal sting-ray' spicy, pungent, and super-juicy meat. I'm much less into the cockles (avoid on a Monday I had a bad experience a few years ago somewhere else), jumbo whelks, whole baby squid etc. I *love* mussels but sadly you won't find that at SGn food courts. The prawns look great but the ones we had had clearly been frozen (that crunchy fresh texture was lost). Then we had veg, tofu etc and rice too.

Next time, if it were just me, I'd have stingray, some veg, tofu, rice. Plenty of other good looking fish there too (grouper, bass, etc ). Oh we had heaps of chicken satay too, which was as expected, i.e. good. It is very easy to go hungry, arrive and waaaay over-order, so beware of that! There are vegetarian stalls there too... but I think it's fair to say it's a primarily pitched as a seafood-orientated place.

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 9:09 am
Location: Way out West

Post by CaptainBullus » Mon, 30 Jun 2014 12:50 am

Cheers, all very helpful! The stingray sounds right up our street, Mrs Bullus has already added that to her 'must try' list!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Mon, 30 Jun 2014 9:44 am

CaptainBullus wrote:Cheers, all very helpful! The stingray sounds right up our street, Mrs Bullus has already added that to her 'must try' list!

This how it's made ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=690ha_q_4S0
Sambal Stingray (Stingray in Chilli Paste)

... which is why most people only get to eat it at specialist hawker centres :) What's good too, is everything on the fish is easy to get too. You won't be worrying about stray bones or fins etc., which is useful if you're in a corner with less than ideal lighting.

p.s. Another thing we had was a plate of chilli crab. It was a spider/snow crab so definitely imported. I got to that dish after the others so there wasn't much left. I always enjoy crab more if I've got the right tools (i.e. less wrestling/fiddling)... and might try and remember to take some 'crab picks' next time, and it's not ideal using a knife and fork.

Which leads on to... Take a few of your own big paper serviettes/tissues. A pack of wet-wipes is handy too, as it is hands-on. Don't wear your best clothes, as getting a splash of sauce on you is a possibility, even with care.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 30 Jun 2014 10:31 am

JR8 wrote:I don't know the PP food centre, not a place I've been and my wife couldn't (cultural, aka pork/lard issues).
However this might interest you... https://sg.entertainment.yahoo.com/news ... 47120.html
I can attest for Pasir Panjang Seafood Centre. It is definitely cheaper and less tout-y than Newton. You can enjoy your dinner in peace without 10 touts harassing you at your table to order from their stalls.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Property Talk, Housing & Rental”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests