Singapore Expats

Do rentals include fridge/washing machine?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
TandD

Do rentals include fridge/washing machine?

Post by TandD » Fri, 13 Jun 2014 8:04 pm

We have now finally are moving to SG at the end of Aug with a better package.

I have been reading forums and browsing apartments for rental on . on and off for a while now but can't work out whether most properties are likely to have a washing machine and fridge/freezer?

I've worked out that to buy everything there that we need would cost more and be more hassle than if we just ship our stuff over (company paying for shipping).

Our plan is to ship:
Dining table set, beds, sofa, microwave, tv, bookcase, bikes, fridge/freezer and washing machine (basically most essential items). Though won't bring large white goods if its likely to be included in the rental.

Search By

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Fri, 13 Jun 2014 10:20 pm

It depends on what you rent. Fully furnished should include washing machine and fridge (as well as most furniture). Partially furnished may or may not include it - depends a bit, best to ask. Unfurnished will not include it.

TandD

Post by TandD » Sat, 14 Jun 2014 4:09 am

Thanks for your reply, that's helpful to know. We're looking at unfurnished or part furnished condos.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 14 Jun 2014 6:29 am

We rented a semi-D that had no furniture at all in it but did come with stove, fridge, washer, and dryer. You'll have to ask. The tenants we replaced left behind a second refrigerator (lots of space for drinks) and a dishwasher.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 14 Jun 2014 8:46 am

Very often even unfurnished apartments have a fridge and washing machine (hit rate above 50% from my experience). Partly furnished - I would expect practically all of them have.
I suggest not to be concerned about it. Find a place, if it have them, good, if not, make out of this a negotiation point with the LL. If all this fails, buy them. It should fit < S$1500 bill or half this if you accept some basic model.

On the other hand your plan is also ok. If the flat is unfurnished but have the said appliances the LLs are very often ok with removing them.

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Re: Do rentals include fridge/washing machine?

Post by Tanuki » Sat, 14 Jun 2014 11:12 am

TandD wrote:We have now finally are moving to SG at the end of Aug with a better package.

I have been reading forums and browsing apartments for rental on . on and off for a while now but can't work out whether most properties are likely to have a washing machine and fridge/freezer?

I've worked out that to buy everything there that we need would cost more and be more hassle than if we just ship our stuff over (company paying for shipping).
Furnishings in the units can be pretty low quality stuff. If you find a condo you like this far in advance (assuming you'd be here in person for that), and the fridge or washer do not look so great to you, negotiate to have them taken out. It's not always possible, but it can work if you're lucky. But make damn sure your equipment will run on the available power here. The voltage is one thing but also check that there are sufficient amps available to avoid blowing out the power. Happy hunting!

Dave

TandD

Post by TandD » Sat, 14 Jun 2014 4:00 pm

Thank you for the replies. On arrival we will be in a hotel for 2 weeks to find somewhere so we have to decide on what we are shipping before we get there so it's a bit of a guessing game. We plan to find some places we like the look of on the Internet so we've at least git something to start with.

kaseyma
Chatter
Chatter

Post by kaseyma » Sat, 14 Jun 2014 5:28 pm

As mentioned above most places should have a refrigerator and washer.
However, they may not have a dryer unless it was previously rented to expats that insisted on one.

You may also encounter new places where you might have some influence on what the landlord gets for the unit.

TandD

Post by TandD » Sun, 15 Jun 2014 3:49 pm

We will ask when we view the properties, the problem is we have to decide to ship or not to ship before we leave the UK but won't actually be able to look for a place until we get there.

We're just trying to work out if it'standard or not. If it is, there's no point shipping ours, but if it isn't standard that these items are included then it'd be easier and cheaper to bring ours.

The replies have been helpful in getting an idea of what other people's expediences are, thank you.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sun, 15 Jun 2014 7:35 pm

TandD, I think your approach of always asking is a good one. Based on our experience of several rentals in Singapore, the terminology around the word 'furnished' is somewhat different compared to the UK. 'Part furnished' sometimes seems to be interpreted by landlords as including light switches and toilet fittings. OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

The other thing is the quality and age of any appliances provided by the landlord, which can be 'variable'. We looked at places that were proudly advertised as having a fridge and washing machine, only to find that they were not only clapped out but dirty and unhygienic. In one case (where the rest of the place was in good condition) we negotiated for new appliances - given that the rental market is more in favour of tenants at the moment this is something to consider. Obviously the landlord will factor in the cost of any new items into their calculations when it comes to negotiating the rent level (and yes, you will almost certainly want to negotiate hard on that), but if they are keen to get their unit they should be willing to be flexible. If not, this could be a sign that they might not be reasonable later on.

As regards bringing your own fridge and washing machine, as the company is paying for the shipping you could consider this, but you might be left in a situation where you have your appliances plus the landlord's - sometimes they do not want to remove their own items as they have nowhere to store them, in which case they might end up cluttering the maid's room or some other area.

At the end of the day, it's all down to negotiation; don't be bamboozled by agents and stay firm (but fair) when expressing your requirements and what you are prepared to pay.

Good luck for your move!
Be careful what you wish for

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Sun, 15 Jun 2014 11:49 pm

kaseyma wrote:As mentioned above most places should have a refrigerator and washer.
However, they may not have a dryer unless it was previously rented to expats that insisted on one.

You may also encounter new places where you might have some influence on what the landlord gets for the unit.
didn't know unfurnished units come with a fridge and washing machine, tbh... but a good thing, since those are rather expensive.

Just to remark, we had a washer/dryer in our last apartment in SG, and the dryer portion was complete crap. You could put something in for an hour, it would come out hot but still fairly humid. In my 8 years in SG, I have mostly had good experience with just drying outside - in which case a balcony is great to have, even a small one.

TandD

Post by TandD » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 4:16 pm

Thank you MiAmigo, certainly given us somethings to consider. From the photos that I've seen on . most condos that look of interest seem to have minimal furnishings.

As for dryers AngMoG, I've never had one here in the wet wet wet UK so hoping the weather there will do the job :-)

kaseyma
Chatter
Chatter

Post by kaseyma » Fri, 27 Jun 2014 7:07 pm

Never used a dryer here.
Just 4-6 hours in this heat and your clothes will be dry (and that's indoors in the shade).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 27 Jun 2014 8:40 pm

Depends. I've had stuff hung out to dry here (indoors), and the day/week has been so hot and stifling humid, that before it's dry it's stinking rotten. Then, your only alternative, is starting with washing it all over again (though then the mold/stink spores are already in).

Sometimes a Washer/dryer can be useful, as waiting a day+ for something you need to air-dry is not always an option.

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Fri, 27 Jun 2014 9:36 pm

We're in the same boat and have just decided to leave/sell/gift pretty much everything in our house just incase it doesn't fit in a condo. From the research I've done it would appear that even unfurnished condos have cooker, fridge, washing machine. Our house is now rented out and we'll be living with in-laws for the last few weeks of July until our flight to Singapore on 28th July! Not too impressed with the hotel we're being put up in (Royal Hotel, Newton Rd!) but as it's free for 2 weeks can't really complain!