Singapore Expats

HDB dwelling : Heaven or Hell when come to noise pollution?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Fri, 13 Jun 2014 7:25 am

Go to a private condo, and you'll still have issues, though maybe not as bad as what the OP is experiencing:

1. Drilling due to renovations

2. Broken elevators/lifts

3. The sound of marbles dropping from the floor above

4. People clogging the trash chutes with cardboard boxes because they won't break them down and dispose of them properly

5. The high-pitched barking dog(s)

6. People rearranging furniture every other night

7. Maids who sometimes refuse to get on the lift with when it stops. The lift already stopped anyway and there's enough space, so just get on the darn lift with whoever is in there and ride it down. Waiving a hand with a half-smile and saying something like, "go on" is highly annoying and a waste of everyone's time!

8. You'll still get caught in a lift occasionally with someone who's not wearing deodorant.

9. Uncommon, though not unheard of, floor-to-ceiling windows have been known to pop out.

10. People leave trash in the lifts or spill stuff and don't bother attempting to clean up after themselves.

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Fri, 13 Jun 2014 11:42 am

The scourge of modern society is noise.

For sure it is going to get worse.

Mass and/or distance is the only remedy.

Nihility
Regular
Regular

Post by Nihility » Fri, 13 Jun 2014 5:35 pm

I don't wish to downplay the annoyances that some have shared as I'm yet to arrive in Singapore and may not yet be entitled to comment, however, it is very much relative. Take living in Shanghai:

1. People regularly urinate in lifts with occasional turds
2. The ayi mops the floors with a filthy Tang Dynasty era mop
3. People smoke regularly in lifts
4. Construction workers make foyers of compounds and lifts filthy
5. People spit in lifts
6. Most 5 year old apartments are in need of a full renovation
7. Conversations are had in lifts above 120 decibels

I do look forward to shifting my annoyances to what seems like heaven, in comparison to the Heavenly Kingdom!

:wink:

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 13 Jun 2014 5:48 pm

As I sit right now in my seventh floor hdb somewhere, I can hear some fat kid screaming at his friends cause they won't give him his basketball back.
there's a small yappy dog and some dude who drives a cranky old vespa is back, I need to find a way to throw that vespa off a cliff.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Jun 2014 5:52 pm

OP, that sounds exactly like Singapore as late as 5 years ago in the HDB estates, although most of the crappers are tourists from China with little kids who are taught to crap anywhere they damn well feel like. Peeing in the lifts has almost stopped what with cameras in the lifts and lift lobbies and in some instances, urine detectors that will stop the lift until authorities get there (not enough of them though).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 13 Jun 2014 6:03 pm

@sms so that explains why they have the urination in lifts is an offence, I had no idea that sc's peed in lifts at one time.
I know Indians spit their betel nut everywhere but this is a bit eye opening.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 14 Jun 2014 12:04 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:@sms so that explains why they have the urination in lifts is an offence, I had no idea that sc's peed in lifts at one time.
the peeing in lift, years ago, was so horrid people used to avoid HDB blocks near hawker centers ...

so much so in one of the verbal duels, then Malaysia PM Dato Mahathir mentioned it as how uncivilized Singaporeans were, by quoting the lift peeing .... :p

and SCs as usual blamed the foreign workers (the term FT hadn't been coined then ... )

and urine detection devices too (though a low voltage shock would have been more effective :evil: )

the main reason actually was lack of public toilets .. in public / hdb housing area ....

the crapping started only much later ....

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 14 Jun 2014 12:21 am

ecureilx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:@sms so that explains why they have the urination in lifts is an offence, I had no idea that sc's peed in lifts at one time.
the peeing in lift, years ago, was so horrid people used to avoid HDB blocks near hawker centers ...

so much so in one of the verbal duels, then Malaysia PM Dato Mahathir mentioned it as how uncivilized Singaporeans were, by quoting the lift peeing .... :p

and SCs as usual blamed the foreign workers (the term FT hadn't been coined then ... )

and urine detection devices too (though a low voltage shock would have been more effective :evil: )

the main reason actually was lack of public toilets .. in public / hdb housing area ....

the crapping started only much later ....

just great.. not! :o these days the neighbours' dogs pee everywhere and no one seems to care about it, they think that its the cleaning mans job to get rid of this smell.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 14 Jun 2014 12:32 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote: just great.. not! :o these days the neighbours' dogs pee everywhere and no one seems to care about it, they think that its the cleaning mans job to get rid of this smell.
maybe you should make a low voltage contraption around where he pees ... so the dog gets the message :evil: :evil: :evil:

btw, there are some sprays that are disgusting to the dogs they don't pee where there the spray has been applied ...

plus Google for Dog Whistle ... that can chase him far from your house

ps, all above suggestions don't cause permanent injury to the affected canine .. more like a minor irritation ...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 8:56 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:in some instances, urine detectors that will stop the lift until authorities get there (not enough of them though).
Woah, how come I didn't know of that? Never seen it before! How does it look like?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 9:43 am

the lynx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:in some instances, urine detectors that will stop the lift until authorities get there (not enough of them though).
Woah, how come I didn't know of that? Never seen it before! How does it look like?
you never seen atleast the warning of Urine Detection devices?

how it looks? cannot see ... but a friend doing lift installation told they fix randomly ... or near lifts / blocks near food court ...but the warning is in every lift ...

they used to be so commonly seen around older HDB blocks .. not in newer ones since new ones have CCTV ... and with some newer ones CCTV streamed to a monitor for public viewing is deterrent enough I guess

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 10:12 am

ecureilx wrote:
the lynx wrote:
you never seen atleast the warning of Urine Detection devices?
Please, let's use the correct three-letter acronym: UDD :lol:
http://www.saviosebastian.com/2011/01/s ... ction.html

'Business Insider More: Features Law Singapore
If You Think The Soda Ban Is Bad, Check Out All The Things That Are Illegal In Singapore

http://www.businessinsider.com/absurd-l ... z34lRK6oSg

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 11:39 am

I'm getting sick of my neighbours of late,

neighbour1: family of six + one maid + three dogs + four cycles, of all these people its just one of these dogs that keeps barking incessantly
its because they don't let it hang out with another dog or take it out for a walk

neighbour2: family of five plus one dog, this dog hates the dogs in the other unit and vice versa

one floor above: some DIY infected dude who keeps hammering,nailing shit to the wall dropping heavy things

one floor below : families full of screaming,wailing,semi dying kids

in between: me trying to concentrate and work from home

Question is: is this normal for most HDB estates? #countingbeads

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 12:26 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I'm getting sick of my neighbours of late,

neighbour1: family of six + one maid + three dogs + four cycles, of all these people its just one of these dogs that keeps barking incessantly
its because they don't let it hang out with another dog or take it out for a walk

neighbour2: family of five plus one dog, this dog hates the dogs in the other unit and vice versa

one floor above: some DIY infected dude who keeps hammering,nailing shit to the wall dropping heavy things

one floor below : families full of screaming,wailing,semi dying kids

in between: me trying to concentrate and work from home

Question is: is this normal for most HDB estates? #countingbeads
ah, pretty normal

in my new place they are painting the blocks, but don't ask me why they have to drill different areas of the block randomlyn while painting ...

the older HDB walls are thinner and the design was more for mass production, vs those newer blocks that have more privacy and less noise from neighbors carry over .. like in Sengkang/Punggol area.

and newer blocks are so nice some have balcony and some, you don't even see the rest of the floor residents at all, maybe only 2 houses next to you will even bump into you.

move to a newer HDB?

ps, did you try the dog whistles which can shut dogs off for a while? :twisted: :twisted:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 12:47 pm

Curious but true:

If you bark louder at a barking dog, it'll usually stop.

If you 'scream and wail' back louder at a crying baby it *will* stop.
refer also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH9OvSqtxRU
'How to silent crying baby'
Last edited by JR8 on Mon, 01 Sep 2014 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.