Singapore Expats

chance for PR application approval

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
leviethung88

chance for PR application approval

Post by leviethung88 » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 11:07 pm

Hi guys,

I've been staying in Singapore for 8 years now and decided it's time to probably throw my hat in the ring, applying for PR this year.
Nationality: Vietnamese
Single.
Occupation: IT analyst, monthly salary ~5k, working for a small MNC in IT industry.
Education: Computer Science bachelor degree from NUS, ASEAN scholar.
I've been working for 4 years, filed tax for 3 years. I've never applied for PR before.
What are the chances of me getting it?

Thanks a lot. ~~~

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: chance for PR application approval

Post by the lynx » Thu, 12 Jun 2014 10:08 am

leviethung88 wrote:Hi guys,

I've been staying in Singapore for 8 years now and decided it's time to probably throw my hat in the ring, applying for PR this year.
Single.
Occupation: IT analyst, monthly salary ~5k, working for a small MNC in IT industry.
I've been working for 4 years, filed tax for 3 years. I've never applied for PR before.

Thanks a lot. ~~~
You lived in Singapore long enough. Salary a bit low though. And your job is a little too common (something that can be easily filled by a local).

But no harm trying if you really wanna live here for good. Especially when you have not applied before.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 12 Jun 2014 12:34 pm

the lynx wrote:

Single.

Thanks a lot. ~~~
You lived in Singapore long enough. Salary a bit low though. And your job is a little too common (something that can be easily filled by a local).

But no harm trying if you really wanna live here for good. Especially when you have not applied before.
PR is supposed to be a stepping stone to citizenry isnt it...... Therefore the salary is immaterial.... if your profile is one of someone likely to stay and become a citizen then there is every chance that you will gain PR.

If the Govt thinks your profile is not that of someone likely to stay then you will be rejected.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 12 Jun 2014 4:33 pm

Barnsley wrote: PR is supposed to be a stepping stone to citizenry isnt it...... Therefore the salary is immaterial.....
I would think that salary, or potential salary, is a big factor. Sg doesn't want poor citizens, it already has enough of those. Regardless of whether a candidate fits the profile Sg want people that can pay for themselves and contribute financially to the growth of the country. Salary is a pretty good indicator of that.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 12 Jun 2014 8:32 pm

Single.

Thanks a lot. ~~~
he should get brownie points for being an ASEAN scholar, i'd think...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 12 Jun 2014 11:35 pm

Barnsley wrote:PR is supposed to be a stepping stone to citizenry isnt it...... Therefore the salary is immaterial....
Very material. You are worth for the local economy as much as you can earn. This shows your ability to generate some profit.
Of course the rest of the profile also counts but I would expect the salary is the 2nd after the race.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:57 am

x9200 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:PR is supposed to be a stepping stone to citizenry isnt it...... Therefore the salary is immaterial....
Very material. You are worth for the local economy as much as you can earn. This shows your ability to generate some profit.
Of course the rest of the profile also counts but I would expect the salary is the 2nd after the race.
As per this thread ..... http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic102414.html

Why would the Govt give PR to someone who is in a job that a Singaporean can do perfectlty fine.

As per PGNMK has stated there is a ground swell brewing of Singapore professionals who are unemployed and the Govt has to be seen to be doing something about it.

If you are in the 5K-15K maybe even 20K a month bracket then you should be worrying about your EP not about getting PR.

The Govt would rather give PR to someone getting 3K a month doing an "unpopular job" than someone earning 15K a month in a "sought after position"

Thats just my opinion and is what I would be doing if I was in Govt.

Forums are all about opinions
Life is short, paddle harder!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 11:08 am

Barnsley wrote:
x9200 wrote:
As per this thread ..... http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic102414.html

Why would the Govt give PR to someone who is in a job that a Singaporean can do perfectlty fine.
As I see it, it counts as a basic requirement, something, if missing, there would be no go. If it is immaterial they would not ask about salary, they would extend REP if you are unemployed etc etc. Salary on a certain level is like the old EPEC self assessment pass. The only situation when low salary is excepted is when the race is the preferred one. I don't recall any examples of a non-Malaysian/Indonesian Chinese getting PR with low level salary.

Also, I don't know whether EP can be that directly compared to PR. Afterall the PR is for the future citizens (as intended) so probably they are not considered competing with the citizens on the same ground as the EP holders.