Singapore Expats Forum

SIM card question

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 12 Jun 2014 1:52 am

Steve1960 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:Wife has been told at several outlets in Toa Payoh that she cannot get a SIM card on her DP. Hmmm, maybe I need to investigate further.

that is a load of bull ..

of course you can use your DP to get a Sim card

If not, just have her bring her passport.

Well I am not making it up, I was there when it happened once. Wife had DP and passport with her was refused a SIM card and I had to give my EP.

As I say when I get home we will go into Toa Payoh and see if we can understand better what the issue is

I believe you that you're not making it up, but I'm still shocked. When my wife's friends would visit from Vietnam, they'd never have a problem getting sim cards. I'd just go with their passports (2-3 at a time sometimes) and get cards. More than a few times they'd just scan one passport and put all of the cards on it out of laziness/apathy.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 12 Jun 2014 8:35 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:Wife has been told at several outlets in Toa Payoh that she cannot get a SIM card on her DP. Hmmm, maybe I need to investigate further.

that is a load of bull ..

of course you can use your DP to get a Sim card

If not, just have her bring her passport.

Well I am not making it up, I was there when it happened once. Wife had DP and passport with her was refused a SIM card and I had to give my EP.

As I say when I get home we will go into Toa Payoh and see if we can understand better what the issue is

I believe you that you're not making it up, but I'm still shocked. When my wife's friends would visit from Vietnam, they'd never have a problem getting sim cards. I'd just go with their passports (2-3 at a time sometimes) and get cards. More than a few times they'd just scan one passport and put all of the cards on it out of laziness/apathy.

oh wait

it may be a simple problem, if you were with her, I am sure the kaypoh shop fellow wanted to see YOUR details

like the time I went to buy smokes and the 711 aunty wanted to see my IC, and when I asked why she showed the notice saying no sale of tobacco to under age persons

rather than tell her off I produced my Driving licence, which she looked at and asked again if I have IC

I told her nicely if she want to know what colour IC I am holding or really want to check my date of birth ... as the DL has my date of birth ...

awkward moment later ... she said never mind .....