Singapore Expats

Should I buy an iPad in Singapore, order from Amazon, other?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Brah
Manager
Manager

Should I buy an iPad in Singapore, order from Amazon, other?

Post by Brah » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 8:14 pm

Since the cost of stuff is so expensive here thought it might be better buying from overseas, but not sure about how the phone / locking works.

I never buy Apple stuff so this is a new area for me.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 10:32 pm

First, the iPad can only be shipped to a USA address when bought from Amazon. Same with the Apple website. I doubt that any online seller will ship internationally because of Apple's distributorship rights around the world. You'd need a confederate in the USA to ship it to you after purchase.

iPad comes in wifi and wifi/mobile models. You'd need an AT&T model to be compatible in Singapore. iPad would not be locked to a carrier since they only lock phones that you buy under a two year contract.

Costs: On Apple website costs range from US$ 499 for 16GB, wireless only to US$ 829 for 64GB with mobile connections. On Amazon, these numbers are US$ 475 and US$ 828.

The Apple store in Singapore advertises the same iPad, same configurations as above for S$ 688 and S$ 1,148. Today's mid-market exchange rates put the costs at US$ 550 and US$ 918, respectively. So, without shipping, you pay about 10 percent more in Singapore than in the USA from an online store.

If you were to have someone ship the iPad to you from the USA, it would cost about US$ 100 to do it... aint cheap. Thus, I don't see any real advantage in trying to buy from Amazon.

Edited to add: You will also have to pay GST on the iPad since it exceeds S$ 400.
Last edited by Strong Eagle on Tue, 10 Jun 2014 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 10:47 pm

Actually it is the "Verizon" model that is compatible with Singapore LTE bands, not the AT&T model. They'll both work on 3G in SG though.

Brah, the cheapest place (outside the US) to buy an iPad will likely be the Apple Store in Hong Kong (no tax, after exchange rate). Aster has also said that Australia is also favorable based on fx and their msrp.

That said, check your PM.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 11:01 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Actually it is the "Verizon" model that is compatible with Singapore LTE bands, not the AT&T model. They'll both work on 3G in SG though.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you have a reference website where I can learn of such things?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 11:24 pm

i just ordered a pair of shoes from the US and will use amex's shipping service (US to SG) to get it to me in singapore.

as a guide, aldenshop.com charges $135 to courier a 3-4 pound pair of ankle boots internationally. i expect to pay ~$45 through amex.

if you're able to wait until i get back to singapore (a few more weeks), i'll let you know how much it will cost in fees/taxes (my shoes are US$685) and my overall experience.

a light weight item like an ipad isn't really expensive to ship via USPS priority international if you have family/friends there... just don't declare it boldly as an apple ipad to reduce theft... but perhaps something like "personal assistive device" or something...

fyi, apple's prices in HK are similar to US prices. their shipping rates are lower also.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 10 Jun 2014 8:25 am

It is not only about the weight but also the volume. They take what arrives, measure the dimensions and calculate a new "weight" based on this. I ordered recently from Amazon a handbag for my wife and it was also shipped via amex borderless services. I paid for it ca S$50. If you have more than 2 standard shoe boxes you may end up paying more.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 10 Jun 2014 12:17 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Actually it is the "Verizon" model that is compatible with Singapore LTE bands, not the AT&T model. They'll both work on 3G in SG though.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you have a reference website where I can learn of such things?
I was wrong, looks like on the newest iPads, the iPad Air and Mini Retina, it's the same model for all US and Singapore bands. The older models (iPhone 5, iPad 4) had different chipsets where you had to be more careful and thats when it was Verizon/CDMA = Singapore LTE bands.

These two sites should help you SE:
https://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/
https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 10 Jun 2014 12:25 pm

taxico wrote:
fyi, apple's prices in HK are similar to US prices. their shipping rates are lower also.
Yes, that's why it's the cheapest. US posted prices don't include the sales tax. HK doesn't have any.

Apple may not ship to a foreign country where they have a local presence. For example, from the HK site to Singapore.

Also, note that the warranties are 'regional' and the rules/benefits vary based on where you bought the item. HK and SG (and taiwan?) are part of the same AppleCare region. The US one is a global warranty. The SG/HK one isn't.

JeffyDoo

Re: Should I buy an iPad in Singapore, order from Amazon, ot

Post by JeffyDoo » Sun, 15 Jun 2014 1:56 pm

Brah wrote:Since the cost of stuff is so expensive here thought it might be better buying from overseas, but not sure about how the phone / locking works.

Most of the Phones sold by local telco are are "Unlocked" unlike what they practise in the USA or other countries.

if you are staying here for more than 2 years you would be better off signing a contract for 2 years to enjoy a discounted rates.

Just my 2 cents..

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Should I buy an iPad in Singapore, order from Amazon, ot

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 15 Jun 2014 11:37 pm

JeffyDoo wrote:
Brah wrote:Since the cost of stuff is so expensive here thought it might be better buying from overseas, but not sure about how the phone / locking works.

Most of the Phones sold by local telco are are "Unlocked" unlike what they practise in the USA or other countries.

if you are staying here for more than 2 years you would be better off signing a contract for 2 years to enjoy a discounted rates.

Just my 2 cents..
But he's talking about an iPad. They're not locked anywhere, and you'd have to be nuts to get a $39/month data contract for one. M1's pre-paid LTE is waayy cheaper.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 3:30 pm

x9200 wrote:It is not only about the weight but also the volume. They take what arrives, measure the dimensions and calculate a new "weight" based on this. I ordered recently from Amazon a handbag for my wife and it was also shipped via amex borderless services. I paid for it ca S$50. If you have more than 2 standard shoe boxes you may end up paying more.
borderless update:

i was charged less than $50 to DHL (3-day delivery 3.5 pounds) a pair of shoes with steel shanks from portland OR to singapore - still in alden's original shoe box.

amex emailed me a $10 e-coupon so i paid just under $40 and most of that went to "import clearance charges."
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

oliviax

Post by oliviax » Thu, 03 Jul 2014 11:03 am

Usually I find Amazon is quite expensive in terms of pricing because you think it's all for the US/UK and it's cheap and then bam. Foreign shipping tax... If you use a personalised marketplace I find this doesn't usually happen. The big companies rip you off. Try Tompang is you have an iphone/android phone, the users are very lenient about shipping on there

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 03 Jul 2014 8:07 pm

Sounds like an ad to me