Singapore Expats

Transfer maid - MOM online application form etc

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
kasiapoleszak

Transfer maid - MOM online application form etc

Post by kasiapoleszak » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 8:01 pm

Hi all,

We are hiring a transfer maid and we are looking into the option of doing the transfer ourselves (rather than using an agency).

The process seems pretty straightforward, but I do have the following queries:

1) I understand that there is an MOM application to be made. I also know that the current employer needs to agree to the transfer of the maid. If you submit the MOM application on paper, you can just get the current employer to sign the relevant page of the printed application form. Does anybody know how you submit current employer's consent if you do the MOM application online? Do you upload a scan of the form signed by them or what? There is no guidance on this anywhere on MOM page.

2) The maid is Filipino. Do I need to file any documents with the Philippines Embassy? Or is this only required for new maids?

3) The MOM online application costs $30, are there any other costs involved if you do the transfer yourself (except for the insurance/bond of course)? I'm asking because the agency wants to charge us $500 for doing the paperwork and I'm wondering if I'm missing something important here.

If this was discussed anywhere before, please do let me know. I must have missed when doing my search of the forum!

Thank you in advance for your help,
Kasia

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 11:20 pm

Good choice to do it yourself:

1. Yes for the initial application you will need to tick a box to confirm you have the consent. This is prior to getting in principle approval. Afterwards, at the final stage of issuing the permit on the transfer date, you will need to upload a scan copy of the completed application form (print this out after the first application) which includes the consent page , or just add in the consent letter with that. You will also need a scan copy of your maids passport page.

2. As far as I know, no... And I've had 2 Filipino maids now... But for home leave your maid will need to get the necessary papers otherwise she will not be able to get back in. She should know how to arrange this via an agent here, if and when the time comes.

3. I think there's a second $30 for the issuance, so $60 in total for MOM. Nothing else.

kasiapoleszak

Post by kasiapoleszak » Tue, 10 Jun 2014 8:03 am

Great, thanks for the response!

If anybody else has any experience with the Philippine Embassy with regards to transferring a maid, I'd appreciate your input. Their website seems to suggest that I have to file some paperwork and that I have to do it through an agent:
http://www.philippine-embassy.org.sg/la ... ment-docs/

All very confusing!

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Tue, 10 Jun 2014 10:36 am

kasiapoleszak wrote:Great, thanks for the response!

If anybody else has any experience with the Philippine Embassy with regards to transferring a maid, I'd appreciate your input. Their website seems to suggest that I have to file some paperwork and that I have to do it through an agent:
http://www.philippine-embassy.org.sg/la ... ment-docs/

All very confusing!
I will also be interested to hear other experience/knowledge too.

As far as I know, there is no "issue" while the maid stays in Singapore (provided you have valid MOM work permit, pay the levy and follow all the rules here), so mostly when this has been discussed it's in the context of home leave. You can google "phillipines embassy maid contract" and find a fair few resources/info...

For my first Filipino maid, I did no papers with Filipino embassy at commencement and i'd sent her twice on home leave and she arranged it herself via an agent (lucky plaza) to get the necessary papers/processing/ exit pass as per Phillipines embassy website, which I understand cost approx. S$200. I did sign their "Standard Employment Contract" for her, but we agreed this was solely for home leave purpose and the other employment contract we already had will take precedence. I have now since repatriated her home and my MOM bond has been disbursed without any problem.

Personally I think all this complexity/confusion is a shame. The embassy (perhaps with good intentions of preventing trafficking etc) is creating bureaucracy, paperwork and fees, which in the end causes many employers to give up and resort to using an agency, who will then rip a transfer fee out of the maid for the privilege of their processing/paper shuffling/fee collecting service :(

kasiapoleszak

Post by kasiapoleszak » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 7:58 am

I have discussed further with the agency and asked them specifically if they will be filing any documents with the Philippine Embassy when we do the transfer. They told me that no, they wouldn't. Apparently they only deal with the Embassy in relation to the home leave or passport change. I guess this means that it really is not required.

I have separately emailed the Embassy and asked the same question, but no response so far.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 1:31 pm

Do email to the POLO division of Ph Embassy ... you may get better info there ...

kasiapoleszak

Post by kasiapoleszak » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 2:10 pm

ecureilx wrote:Do email to the POLO division of Ph Embassy ... you may get better info there ...
I did send them an email yesterday, waiting for their response.

But honestly I'm curious to what extent can the Philippine Embassy enforce anything in Singapore. I can understand the travel / passport requirements, but surely employment in Singapore is governed by Singapore law? Or maybe I'm just naive to think that.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 2:21 pm

kasiapoleszak wrote:
ecureilx wrote:Do email to the POLO division of Ph Embassy ... you may get better info there ...
I did send them an email yesterday, waiting for their response.

But honestly I'm curious to what extent can the Philippine Embassy enforce anything in Singapore. I can understand the travel / passport requirements, but surely employment in Singapore is governed by Singapore law? Or maybe I'm just naive to think that.
Exactly, I figure that's why in practice it comes down to home leave and passport renewal, etc. They do have control over these as if you don't follow the requirement they can refuse to renew the passport or block the maid from leaving the country when returning from home leave.

kasiapoleszak

Post by kasiapoleszak » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 2:30 pm

Beeroclock wrote:
kasiapoleszak wrote: But honestly I'm curious to what extent can the Philippine Embassy enforce anything in Singapore. I can understand the travel / passport requirements, but surely employment in Singapore is governed by Singapore law? Or maybe I'm just naive to think that.
Exactly, I figure that's why in practice it comes down to home leave and passport renewal, etc. They do have control over these as if you don't follow the requirement they can refuse to renew the passport or block the maid from leaving the country when returning from home leave.
My concern is whether they can give my helper any trouble later on (e.g. when she wants to go home) just because we didn't fill out some papers during the initial transfer. I doubt there is a straight answer to this question, unless somebody here had experienced this themselves.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 2:30 pm

Beeroclock wrote:[]
a lot of people will be jobless if POLO, DOLE, POEA etc have paperwork trimmed, in Philippines as well as in their overseas missions all the way to Canada / USA, and a lot of revenue will be lost if too many people ignore the multitude of govt agencies charging this or that fee ....

for enforcement, additionally, they have an employers bond, which POLO can revoke if the employer fails in their duties :... this is apart from the MOM bond .

some reading

http://www.philippine-embassy.org.sg/labor/hsw/oec/

kasiapoleszak

Post by kasiapoleszak » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 2:49 pm

See, I have read this and I find it very confusing. This page is titled "OEC for Household Service Workers (“Home Leave”

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 2:59 pm

kasiapoleszak wrote:
See, I have read this and I find it very confusing. This page is titled "OEC for Household Service Workers (“Home Leave”

kasiapoleszak

Post by kasiapoleszak » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 3:05 pm

ecureilx wrote: let me check with a friend who is doing maid placement what need be done for transfer maid
That would be great, thanks a lot!
ecureilx wrote: I doubt there is nothing .. how will the embassy know who to go after unless they are notified ...
Well, maybe I'm being overzealous in my attempts to comply with all the regulations...

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 5:58 pm

Best to for your i's though. I'd hate to think I'd short cut and ultimately cost somebody their job.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 10:35 pm

If these Philippine embassy requirements are really necessary for maid transfer, then IMO it should be included in MOMs process or part of the formalities before WP issuance. Otherwise I think most employers would reasonably assume if they have jumped through all MOMs hoops and got the WP approved and issued, that you have met the legal requirements to employ the maid in this country.

Now home leave and passport renewals are another issue as obviously the maids home country does have jurisdiction/control over these.