Singapore Expats

Short term rentals <6 months

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Short term rentals <6 months

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Jun 2014 3:48 pm

This as been touched on numerous times and constantly we get poo-pooed about the fact that legally you cannot rent rooms/flats for less than 6 months.

Well, read it & weep. Looks like they are starting to come down harder and outfits like Roomerama and air bnb and such will start getting hammered.

http://www.tnp.sg/news/2-hdb-homes-comp ... t-tourists
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Sun, 08 Jun 2014 4:12 pm

Not sure if HDB is really coming down hard on all these less than 6 mths rental but I contacted HDB 3 weeks ago and told them about my tenancy with my current HDB landlord going for less than 6 mths and they said that matters such as these should go to the SCT! :???:
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 08 Jun 2014 5:29 pm

I think remember reading similar news, years ago. So it is nothing new. It is typical Singapore style, publish an article of 1 or 2 cases, so that public get scared and dont break the law.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Jun 2014 7:17 pm

Yeah, might be true, but I'd rather not gamble and possibly be the "object lesson" :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 08 Jun 2014 7:59 pm

the applicable statutes apply only to HDB/JTC/SLA properties i think...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Jun 2014 8:23 pm

taxico, we've been all over this before, several times. It also applies to private housing as well (although I don't think they can reposses your condo, but I'd imagine they can fine you well enough if they desire. Do a search. I've posted the URL links at least twice already.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 6:17 am

The original message was originated from URA (IIRC). I guess their authority is also over the private estates.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 9:40 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:taxico, we've been all over this before, several times. It also applies to private housing as well (although I don't think they can reposses your condo, but I'd imagine they can fine you well enough if they desire. Do a search. I've posted the URL links at least twice already.
i'll do that and have a read. thanks.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 9:56 pm

what if you rent it out for 6 months without any penalty if you break the contract :)

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Tue, 10 Jun 2014 11:18 pm

the full articular

URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES
Private homeowners who flout the six-month minimum rule face a maximum fine of $200,000 and a jail term of up to 12 months.

PS:
Mod, if mypaper is not allow to be in the forum please remove the link.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 12:53 am

Have just met up with HDB on the case of my landlord who signed off a less than 6 months tenancy term. They are serious about this. They have explained that there is a possibility that they may barr her from future rentals but how long this will go on they did not say. They may even fine her.
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 3:01 pm

Just to reiterate..

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/hdb-flat-owne ... ector.html
The Housing & Development Board (HDB) repossessed two flats after it discovered the owners were leasing them to tourist for less than six months, according to media reports.

Based on investigations, the owners rented out their flats to multiple visitors for $25 to $75 per night, so the Housing Board reclaimed the properties -- a four-room flat in the west and an executive flat in the east.

HDB declined to reveal the exact date when the owners were booted out. It also warned another home owner in Singapore's central area.

Despite investigating thousands of cases, this is the first time the severe penalty was made public by the agency.

In 2013, HDB looked into 184 cases of short-term leasing compared to 106 cases in the previous year.

Apart from losing their flats, home owners who flout the rules may also face stiff fines, added an agency spokesperson.

As for private properties, the Urban Redevelopment Authority has investigated 350 cases of unauthorised use from January to April 2014. In 2013, it looked into 2,100 of such cases.

Like HDB flats, private homes can only be rented out for a minimum of six months.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 11:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Just to reiterate..

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/hdb-flat-owne ... ector.html
The Housing & Development Board (HDB) repossessed two flats after it discovered the owners were leasing them to tourist for less than six months, according to media reports.

Based on investigations, the owners rented out their flats to multiple visitors for $25 to $75 per night, so the Housing Board reclaimed the properties -- a four-room flat in the west and an executive flat in the east.

HDB declined to reveal the exact date when the owners were booted out. It also warned another home owner in Singapore's central area.

Despite investigating thousands of cases, this is the first time the severe penalty was made public by the agency.

In 2013, HDB looked into 184 cases of short-term leasing compared to 106 cases in the previous year.

Apart from losing their flats, home owners who flout the rules may also face stiff fines, added an agency spokesperson.

As for private properties, the Urban Redevelopment Authority has investigated 350 cases of unauthorised use from January to April 2014. In 2013, it looked into 2,100 of such cases.

Like HDB flats, private homes can only be rented out for a minimum of six months.
So, officially then, someone on e a s y r o o m a t e can set a minimum of 6 month rental, but structure the lease of the room in such a way that there would be no penalty for early termination?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 11 Jun 2014 11:51 pm

Probably so, but can you see a LL not taking a deposit or trying to keep every deposit? I would also reckon that if stamp duties were paid, somebody somewhere would be keeping records. We don't know what kinds of leases those who were caught were on. they may already be wise to that (I wouldn't doubt it).

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 12 Jun 2014 8:56 am

and today I get an email about a hot hotel style rental place in City, a 3 bedroom condo that can accommodate up to 12 pax :p