Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore PR and expired passport

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
here4good

Singapore PR and expired passport

Postby here4good » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 11:59 am

Hi there,

I have done a little bit of googling and looked on this forum and wanted your advise since I was unable to find the answer to my questions.

My wife is an Indian National and has an Indian Passport which is due to expire soon (Oct 2014). She is also a Singapore PR and has the rentry permit till Oct 2016.
Her Singapore Citizenship is currently being processed (8th month into the application).

My questions are:

1. Is there a requirement for Singapore PR's to hold a valid passport at all times while one is a PR + living/working in Singapore? We do not have any travel plans - not at least till next year.

2. will this affect her Singapore Citizenship processing (if approved)?

I am hoping that her Singapore Citizenship will come through intermittently and hence it would not make sense to renew her Indian passport.

Any advise/thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 12:36 pm

Yes, her passport must be kept valid. As her Singapore citizenship is "only" 8 months in, (it could go to 15 or 16 months), You cannot be here on an expired passport (you might not get caught, but again, you might as they will also know your passport expiry date and the fact that you have not presented a new valid passport for updating of particulars - as a PR they would already have that information). Therefore, when it comes to light that she doesn't have a valid passport this may well throw a spanner in the works for her citizenship application. For a couple of hundred bucks, are you are willing to jeopardize her application? She can stay in Singapore without a valid Re-entry permit (as long as she has a valid passport) as long as she doesn't leave the country, but not the reverse. Foreigners have to always have valid travel documents (PR is not a travel document).

here4good

Postby here4good » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 12:41 pm

Thanks SMS for the crystal clear reply.

Absolutely not - I will not jeopardize her application and I have no doubts that the ICA will find out/know about this.
I will wait till September and if we still have not heard from ICA in lieu of her SC, I will have her passport renewed.