Singapore Expats

Bars serving Blue moon?

Share your favourite eating haunts!
CowgirlSRS

Bars serving Blue moon?

Post by CowgirlSRS » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 10:06 am

I've been in Singapore for nearly 10 months and I have yet to find a place that serves Blue Moon beer (one of my favorites!). Was just curious if anyone has been to a place here that serves it? I know I can get it from the Thirsty beer shop near Clarke Quay, but would love to visit a restaurant/bar that serves it, if one exists :)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 11:09 am

blue moon beer is absolutely delicious! I am surprised you managed to find a place here that serves it. I have to go check this place out
do they serve it with a large slice of Orange here as well?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 2:32 pm

She said she bought it from there, not was served... BTW, how does it taste comparing to Hoegaarden? Never tried Blue Moon. Have to buy few bottles.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 2:38 pm

When I was in Denver this is all I drank everywhere I went. on a Hot dusty sweaty summer day after a hard day of driving, hiking, white water rafting this is exactly what you want. It's an excellent beer

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 3:58 pm

Anyone know where they serve Toohey's Extra Dry? :)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 5:09 pm

Fortan wrote:Anyone know where they serve Toohey's Extra Dry? :)
i've been looking for that too, its my fav aussie beer, along with Toohey's old

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 5:35 pm

To the best of my knowledge, you won't find Blue Moon on tap anywhere in Singapore. The closest possible alternatives would be Kronenburg 1664 Blanc (available at Harry's), Erdinger White (also widely available) and Archipelago's Belgian Witt. Hoegarden is pretty close too. You'll need to bring your own slices of orange I'm afraid.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 10:08 pm

Just have to say. We ate at Brotzeit this past week. Great sausages and beer nosh-up.

Good beer-list too, but staggered to see most of the beers (German) priced at around S$20 per 500 ml bottle. In Germany none would cost over about e0.80-1.00 (say S$1.50). I appreciate marking up by restaurants, but 13-fold? :o

... It would be like going to an everyday decent restaurant in London, and being charged £13 for a can of Stella...

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 10:24 pm

Makes one barf at those prices, I had 2 gin and tonics at some random hole in the wall place in Ann siang hill 32$ for a couple of Bombay sapphire.
I bought a whole bottle of it in duty free for that much.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 8:46 am

My 'go to' beer for cheap home consumption is Breda beer available at 7/11 for $7.50 for 2 500ml cans. Unfortunately I've now developed an addition to 'craft beers' which is a very expensive hobby. My absolute favorite at the moment is Anderson Valley's Boont Amber Ale. Fecking awesome!
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 12:14 pm

http://www.level33.com.sg/craftbeers.html
Love the beers here. Smooth n rich. Abit pricey though.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 12:54 pm

Addadude wrote:My 'go to' beer for cheap home consumption is Breda beer available at 7/11 for $7.50 for 2 500ml cans. Unfortunately I've now developed an addition to 'craft beers' which is a very expensive hobby. My absolute favorite at the moment is Anderson Valley's Boont Amber Ale. Fecking awesome!
I find that a bit rich, if not sweet, for my liking. It's not like say a Carlsberg Special, which is rich, but you get the oomph flavour-wise from the alcohol...
It's quite a curious beer as I can't say I've heard of it outside of SG, nor encountered another beer of that style in Europe. If I was told it was a budget EU beer made for a hop-free, sweetened Asian flavour palette I wouldn't be at all surprised.

The Anderson Valley beer you mention. I've not seen it before. But, see here... http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/193/623/ - WOOF, it sounds pretty damned fine! :-D

nanana wrote:http://www.level33.com.sg/craftbeers.html
Love the beers here. Smooth n rich. Abit pricey though.
Yes some nice beers, but silly prices, similar to as at Brotzeit. Isn't it the whole marketing line of 'take something everyday from back home and launch it as a super-premium product in other countries'? ... Think Abercrombie + Fitch, Ralph Lauren, Replay, The Gap, H+M, Muji etc... all marketed way above the status they have in their home countries.

When is the beer festival in SG... ah, here.... http://www.beerfestasia.com/SG/2014/festival-info
The wife promised to treat me to a visit there. Sounds like it has promise!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 1:03 pm

Ok, then I can also tell that Paulaner Bräuhaus has Sunday brunches, very reasonably priced with free flow of their beers and European (Germanish sort of) food. I like the food and beer, pretty good match.

http://www.paulaner-brauhaus.com/singapore

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 1:19 pm

x9200 wrote:Ok, then I can also tell that Paulaner Bräuhaus has Sunday brunches, very reasonably priced with free flow of their beers and European (Germanish sort of) food. I like the food and beer, pretty good match.

http://www.paulaner-brauhaus.com/singapore
I have a major soft-spot for Paulaner!

Exclamation alert: Probably my favourite German beer!!!

:lol: