Singapore Expats

Haze season

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 9:37 am

x9200 wrote:3M filtrete is pretty good but it has to be changed very frequently and will not catch any toxic gases that may be present with the haze. It will also not remove the odor. It is for particles only.
The blue packet has odour-reducing carbon filter, it's only a few dollars more from the standard red packet which has no carbon filter.

Yes supposed to change it every 2 months. I am just going to put them on during the Indonesia burning months coming up soon.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 11:48 am

Beeroclock wrote:The blue packet has odour-reducing carbon filter, it's only a few dollars more from the standard red packet which has no carbon filter.
Thanks for the info. I was aware only of the red ones. This makes it pretty reasonable alternative to the more expensive stuff indeed, especially for an ad-hock use. If this year is going to be as bad as last, I don't think a typical air-purifier will manage alone and filterette can be nicely used suplementary to it even with a fan.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 2:32 pm

x9200 wrote:
Beeroclock wrote:The blue packet has odour-reducing carbon filter, it's only a few dollars more from the standard red packet which has no carbon filter.
Thanks for the info. I was aware only of the red ones. This makes it pretty reasonable alternative to the more expensive stuff indeed, especially for an ad-hock use. If this year is going to be as bad as last, I don't think a typical air-purifier will manage alone and filterette can be nicely used suplementary to it even with a fan.
Yeah that's what I figured, shut the windows and basically use the aircon as an air purifier to some extent. Only cost $25-30 per packet, but I found a packet only covers 2 or at most 3 units, not 4 as it stated on the box.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 6:56 pm

i had one of the a/c in my home dismantled and jet cleaned some months back by an air-con tech... his opinion is that installing the 3M filters is not good for the unit... something about impeding optimum air flow which may cause your a/c to run either uh... i think harder or noisier or something which may lead to a quicker mechanical failure. don't quote me on that.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 7:56 pm

taxico wrote:i had one of the a/c in my home dismantled and jet cleaned some months back by an air-con tech... his opinion is that installing the 3M filters is not good for the unit... something about impeding optimum air flow which may cause your a/c to run either uh... i think harder or noisier or something which may lead to a quicker mechanical failure. don't quote me on that.
Yeah it's possible , I follow the instructions which is to only cover 75%, allow some air to bypass, the suggest this is best trade off between particle removal and flow restriction.