Singapore Expats Forum

Relocating with cat Singapore to US

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Lara Deeza

Relocating with cat Singapore to US

Postby Lara Deeza » Sat, 31 May 2014 5:59 pm

Hi everyone!

We will be relocating out of Singapore to the US and taking our cat with us. I would really appreciate any advise regarding relocating with pets.

A few pointed questions:

1. So far it seems not all airlines allow pets on board. I would very much like to keep my cat in the cabin. She fits the weight allowance for small pets. But now it looks like only AirFrance and Swiss allow pets on board. Do you know of any other airlines allow in-cabin pets for transatlantic or transpacific flights?

2. Would I need an export license for my cat from the Sing AVA?

3. Any tips on how to make the flight more comfy/safe for kitty? It's 27 hours. :(

Any other tips/help from those who may have traveled with a cat internationally are very much appreciated.

Thank you!!

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Re: Relocating with cat Singapore to US

Postby Tanuki » Sat, 31 May 2014 6:09 pm

Lara Deeza wrote:Hi everyone!

We will be relocating out of Singapore to the US and taking our cat with us. I would really appreciate any advise regarding relocating with pets.

A few pointed questions:

1. So far it seems not all airlines allow pets on board. I would very much like to keep my cat in the cabin. She fits the weight allowance for small pets. But now it looks like only AirFrance and Swiss allow pets on board. Do you know of any other airlines allow in-cabin pets for transatlantic or transpacific flights?

2. Would I need an export license for my cat from the Sing AVA?

3. Any tips on how to make the flight more comfy/safe for kitty? It's 27 hours. :(

Any other tips/help from those who may have traveled with a cat internationally are very much appreciated.

Thank you!!

Delta allows small pets in the cabin, but the carrier has to fit under the seat. We used a soft one for our kitty from Tokyo to Seattle 2 years ago. You do need a pet export document to bring the animal into the US. Not a difficult process though. It would help to have. A harness and leash so the cat could stretch her legs a bit during layovers. Also line the carrier with pads in case of pee or poo. Hope you have a good trip back!!

PNGMK
Director
Director

Postby PNGMK » Sat, 31 May 2014 9:32 pm

FYI I think the cat I adopted off the street was an abandoned import.

Lara Deeza

Re: Relocating with cat Singapore to US

Postby Lara Deeza » Sat, 31 May 2014 10:09 pm

Tanuki wrote:Delta allows small pets in the cabin, but the carrier has to fit under the seat. We used a soft one for our kitty from Tokyo to Seattle 2 years ago. You do need a pet export document to bring the animal into the US. Not a difficult process though. It would help to have. A harness and leash so the cat could stretch her legs a bit during layovers. Also line the carrier with pads in case of pee or poo. Hope you have a good trip back!!

Thank you! I will contact Delta!

I was thinking a lot about the harness and leash idea actually. We bought one for my cat but haven't been able to get it on... or even near her for that matter. She's a bossy cat and doesn't like things on her. So even though I think it would be better for the flight to have the harness on... I don't know if now trying to introduce it would be the best idea. :/

Regarding soiling the carrier; I'm guessing she'll just have to soil the carrier because she won't be able to hold it for so long. So sad. But I will bring extra towels and try to change the bedding during layovers.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Hannieroo » Sat, 31 May 2014 11:38 pm

I would start getting her used to the carrier in advance, we always started a month in advance (dogs though) and used to work up to 12 hours overnight by the last few days. It is not advisable to use any kind of sedation but something like Feliway which relaxes them can help a lot.

Lara Deeza

Postby Lara Deeza » Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:09 am

Hannieroo wrote:I would start getting her used to the carrier in advance, we always started a month in advance (dogs though) and used to work up to 12 hours overnight by the last few days. It is not advisable to use any kind of sedation but something like Feliway which relaxes them can help a lot.

Thanks for the ideas. We'll try to get her carrier as soon as possible. Luckily she seems to like carriers (just not being put in them if that makes sense).

I've heard of this Feliway. Where could I get it in SG?

Lara Deeza

Postby Lara Deeza » Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:11 am

Oh and I ended up booking my flight with Delta and kitty will be onboard! 8-) Very thrilled about that!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 01 Jun 2014 1:42 am

I assume your cat has a US passport and won't have problems at immigration? :cool:

Lara Deeza

Postby Lara Deeza » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 1:35 pm

Unless kitty grows a beard I think she'll be fine :wink:

Although, I was a bit annoyed that I had to actually pay and get an export license for her. :roll: I don't see why it would matter that I'm taking her out of the country. She's not some coveted endangered species. She is my pet, and AFAIK Singapore has PLENTY of feral cats to go around.

Lara Deeza

Postby Lara Deeza » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 3:00 pm

oops dp
Last edited by Lara Deeza on Fri, 06 Jun 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 3:23 pm

Not trying to scare you but if you can bring your pets into the cabin, do it.

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Postby Tanuki » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 4:04 pm

the lynx wrote:Not trying to scare you but if you can bring your pets into the cabin, do it.

That's the stipulation with Delta, at least from May til October. If you bring a pet, it must be in the cabin and have a container that fits under the seat. In cooler months they'll accept pets in the cargo hold. We brought ours out using EVA, and they were very good with both a small dog and a cat in the cargo. It can be scary seeing what might happen though. :shock:

Lara Deeza

Postby Lara Deeza » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 4:40 pm

I've read some terrible things as well regarding animals in cargo. I'm keeping her in cabin.

Lara Deeza

Postby Lara Deeza » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 5:06 pm

If this may be helpful to anyone else in the future this is what I did:

1. Bought ticket with Delta as they are one of the few airlines that allow pets to be in-cabin. We spoke to them in person and "reserved a seat" for kitty at the same time that we purchased the tickets. Only so many animals can be in cabin so you have to make sure to "reserve a seat" for your pet.

2. Took her to the vet twice, once for her yearly booster and another time for a rabies vaccine which is required for the US. The vaccine currently does not need to be administered 30 days before entry into the US if coming for a rabies-free zone such as Singapore. Call your vet ahead of time as they normally don't have rabies vaccines in stock.

3. In order for the rabies vaccine to be administered in SG, I had to get kitty microchipped as per SG regulation. I was planning on chipping her in the States, but I'm glad I did it here before traveling.

4. I obtained a certificate of general health from the vet's office. Cat must be examined within 7 days of departure date. I also obtained a copy of the cat's vaccination history at the vet's.

5. Went to the AVA office with copies of the Certificate of General health and vaccination history to apply for the Export License. I had to apply for 2 things: the export license itself and the vet certification. The latter approves your vet isn't sketch. The export license cost $50 and the vet cert cost $23.

6. The license and cert were ready in a day. Normal service can be 2-3 days. There is also express service at higher cost.

7. I had to confirm the size of the carrier with airlines.

This whole process took about week. Hope this helps someone out in the future.

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Postby Tanuki » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 8:58 pm

Lara Deeza wrote:I've read some terrible things as well regarding animals in cargo. I'm keeping her in cabin.

It's better for sure, if you can do that. When we moved out here we looked at the Delta schedule and the arrival time meant the pets would have to sit there in the office for some 7 hours until the AVA office opens. EVA arrived at noon so that was the deciding factor for us!