Singapore Expats

PR Approval Chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
prasenjitsh

PR Approval Chances

Post by prasenjitsh » Sat, 31 May 2014 2:33 am

Hi all - thanks first for reading. I would really appreciate your opinion on our (me and my wife) chances on applying PR. I've booked the slot ffor November

Profiles
Myself
- Nationality/Race: Indian
- Education: Bachelor Degree in Engineering
- In SG since: 2010
- Visa: PEP
- Current Salary: 77K + 9600 EP Allowance

Wife
- Education: Master Degree in Physiology
- In SG since: 2013
- Visa: Dependent Pass

really really appreciate your help.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 31 May 2014 5:16 am

What's an EP Allowance?
Be careful what you wish for

prasenjitsh

Post by prasenjitsh » Sat, 31 May 2014 8:35 am

Hi,
Since I'm not PR, company is paying the CPF (Employer Contribution) as EP allowance. It's $800 monthly fixed.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 31 May 2014 5:05 pm

That's a nice perk; I've read on here about people being paid this but haven't come across many examples in 'real life'. Not sure whether it would count towards the 'salary' figure that the ICA will assess you on though.

As to your PR chances, they look reasonable to me, but in the current anti-Indian climate, some might consider them to be 50:50 at best. I expect the others may have some further input on this.
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 May 2014 5:45 pm

No, they will not look at that as it's the employer's expense. As soon as he get PR he will be in for a rude awakening as not only will he lose the "allowance" but the CPF board will chop an additional 12K out of his 77K basic. (20% employee contribution of a cap of $5K/mo salary). So his take home salary will drop from around $8.3K/mo to around $6.5K/mo.

For a married couple, from the subcontinent, I'll give them 50:50 at best. Probably less, truth be known. However, I have seen a few that have surprised me in the past couple of weeks, so maybe the PAP is saying damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead. Chopping 3 major construction projects doesn't really do much to the PMET arena.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

prasenjitsh

Post by prasenjitsh » Sat, 31 May 2014 10:18 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for your assesment. I will post you the outcome of the application.

Saint
Director
Director

Re: PR Approval Chances

Post by Saint » Thu, 05 Jun 2014 12:41 pm

prasenjitsh wrote:Hi all - thanks first for reading. I would really appreciate your opinion on our (me and my wife) chances on applying PR. I've booked the slot ffor November

Profiles
Myself
- Education: Bachelor Degree in Engineering
- In SG since: 2010
- Visa: PEP
- Current Salary: 77K + 9600 EP Allowance
You do know you will automatically lose your PEP at the end of the year and there's no guarantee you will get granted an EP. Booking your PR appointment for November could be too late

prasenjitsh

Post by prasenjitsh » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 3:53 pm

Hi,

The salary for EP stated as $4500/month. My current salary is $7200/month. I think getting an EP should not be an issue as it's already near to P1 pass (criteria: $8000/month).

Please let me know if you think otherwise or you came across such cases where EP denied with ~$7k salary.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 4:28 pm

I assume you are getting an annual bonus of 1 months salary, correct? If that is the case then your basic salary (which is all that is used when applying for EP or PR or PEP) is on 77K/13 or slightly under 6K/mo or around 6.4K if you don't get an annual bonus (which is also not included in the "basic" salary).

So you are a considerable distance away from PEP territory and are middle management PMET which is exactly the guys the MOM is targeting to replace with local PMETs. I reckon you should spend more time reading the local papers instead of the Hindustani Times and you would already know this. The salary stated for EP is minimum of $3300/mo currently and there is no longer any Q, P2 or P1 EPs. Now it is just an EP and income levels within the EP will determine whether you can have dependends or not and how far that extends. Better start reading some local stuff if you want to remain relevant here.

Oh, yeah, before I forget, yes I've seen P1's not have their EPs renewed. Rare, but it does happen.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

iamme

Post by iamme » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 4:34 pm

Totally agree with SMS... And with the new MOM regulations, all I can say to OP is "Good Luck!" :cool:

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 5:42 pm

10% for PR and a decent chance that you'll lose your EP as well (33%). Honestly I want you guys chucked out anyways. You really screw it up for the local yokels.

The job you do and the salary is absolutely a spot on fit for a local unemployed PMET as mentioned above. A solutions manager is just hype speak for an IT guy anyways. Plenty of those unemployed from the local labour pool.

prasenjitsh

Post by prasenjitsh » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 5:50 pm

Hi,
I dont have 13th Month Bonus. My CTC is $7200. So in my ep renewal form it will be mentioned as $7200/month.
I know the local news that you are referring. But also it depends on the company revenue. I have seen Company like Optimum,robert walters & other big consultancies are not getting impacted due to this change. I know people from this consultancies or bank are getting 2years EP in salary range $6K.
Thats the reason I made the assumption.
I'm with same company for last 4years and my salary increase more than 100%. I think the increment & past employment record also matter while renewing EP. Not sure though. Neverthless, lets c how thing goes.

Sorry for typos- send from mobile device

opinionatedman

Post by opinionatedman » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 5:51 pm

[quote="PNGMK"]10% for PR and a decent chance that you'll lose your EP as well (33%). Honestly I want you guys chucked out anyways. You really screw it up for the local yokels.

The job you do and the salary is absolutely a spot on fit for a local unemployed PMET as mentioned above. A solutions manager is just hype speak for an IT guy anyways. Plenty of those unemployed from the local labour pool.[/quote]

Do you think that if locals could really do what these guys are doing then the companies were fools to take the trouble of searching the foreigner pool to get the exact match. In my company itself, we try and search locals and when we can't fill the space we go ahead and hire foreigners.

You are entitled to your opinion, but till the time Singapore wants to thrive on its tag as a financial hub, foreigners in this space will always remain, that is the fact my friend.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 7:13 pm

opinionatedman wrote:
PNGMK wrote:10% for PR and a decent chance that you'll lose your EP as well (33%). Honestly I want you guys chucked out anyways. You really screw it up for the local yokels.

The job you do and the salary is absolutely a spot on fit for a local unemployed PMET as mentioned above. A solutions manager is just hype speak for an IT guy anyways. Plenty of those unemployed from the local labour pool.
Do you think that if locals could really do what these guys are doing then the companies were fools to take the trouble of searching the foreigner pool to get the exact match. In my company itself, we try and search locals and when we can't fill the space we go ahead and hire foreigners.

You are entitled to your opinion, but till the time Singapore wants to thrive on its tag as a financial hub, foreigners in this space will always remain, that is the fact my friend.
but... your company's behavior isn't representative of, i assume, the majority of companies in singapore... even to me, as an employer of very few persons, cheaper (everything) is better.

the mindset of many local companies have yet to really move past the days when foreign employees were plentiful, easy, and cheap to hire - something the singapore government is quite desperate to change for many reasons.

expats would otherwise not have problems they are facing now.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 10:35 pm

GE 2016 is coming up. Kiss your EP goodbye will be the catch cry of the opposition and the PAP will follow the polls.