Singapore Expats

Alcohol. Old personal sentimental half drunk alcohol...

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Soomsoon

Alcohol. Old personal sentimental half drunk alcohol...

Post by Soomsoon » Thu, 29 May 2014 9:41 am

An oldie question,

I get given a lot of alcohol, I would love to bring it to Singapore. But can I?

If the bottles are already opened and half drunk do I still need to pay duty?

Or if the bottles are opened and not drunk. We are trying to drink all the bubbly and wine before we go, but unless you want my liver to scream in fear, I cannot drink all the Spirits. Loads of them are open with a tot drunk.

Opinions?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 29 May 2014 9:50 am

Leave them at home. Even if you get them in (and duty will apply) I've found (and I have a full liquor cabinet to prove it) that it's harder to get it out .... often people ending up moving to a third country where for various reasons it's uneconomic or impossible (i.e. Kuwait) to import booze. As a result I am constantly being passed half full bottles of stuff I'd never buy.

Soomsoon

Post by Soomsoon » Thu, 29 May 2014 9:55 am

PNGMK wrote:Leave them at home. Even if you get them in (and duty will apply) I've found (and I have a full liquor cabinet to prove it) that it's harder to get it out .... often people ending up moving to a third country where for various reasons it's uneconomic or impossible (i.e. Kuwait) to import booze. As a result I am constantly being passed half full bottles of stuff I'd never buy.

ok Looks that way, May chose a bottle or two to bring along

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 29 May 2014 1:31 pm

I brought in 2 bottles of Malt, I was stopped and I said, "I have two bottles of malt" and they let me have one as wine. Very kind of them! I was willing to pay duty on it. They were in my hold luggage and the customs lady was very reasonable. I declared everything to her though - even my prescription drugs.
nutnut

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Sat, 31 May 2014 12:21 am

give it to me! give it to me!! :P