Singapore Expats

Singapore passport renewal and dual citizenship

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
cnfcnf

Singapore passport renewal and dual citizenship

Post by cnfcnf » Wed, 28 May 2014 9:30 pm

Hi,

I was looking at the passport renewal form at: http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/do ... _11_OS.pdf

It asks:

(b) I am / The child* is a citizen of Singapore.
(c) I have / The child* have/have not/has/has not* acquired the citizenship of another country.

The above clearly implies that one (who is 22+ years old) can get a Singapore passport renewed *even* if you say, "I have acquired the citizenship of another country".

Is this correct? Has anyone had a situation where they have declared the above and obtained a passport or been rejected for one?

Thanks in advance

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 May 2014 10:30 pm

Try it.sure you can do it. Just be advised that you will be breaking the law. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, just because of an ambiguity on the renewal form. You will probably get away with it, but again, you might not, especially when you come in from your new home country and you cannot produce the exit stamp in your Singapore passport because you had to leave using your foreign passport. Good luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

cnfcnf

Post by cnfcnf » Wed, 28 May 2014 10:46 pm

I am just trying to understand things:

You will notice that there are 2 separate application forms for Singapore passport renewal. One that is submitted overseas:

http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/do ... _11_OS.pdf

And one that is submitted within Singapore:

http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/do ... M_E_11.pdf

The overseas one has a special section:

Have you been granted citizenship of another country? *Yes / No
(i) If Yes, state the country: ________________________________________________
(ii) If No, on what basis are you permitted to remain in the country where you are residing? ___

This would be quite unambiguous in implying that you can apply for a passport renewal if you have obtained another citizenship. Of course, if ICA decides to renew, that is an entirely different matter. I just want to know if anyone stated "yes" and what the outcome was.

Thanks

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 29 May 2014 12:54 am

cnfcnf wrote:I am just trying to understand things:

You will notice that there are 2 separate application forms for Singapore passport renewal. One that is submitted overseas:

(ii) If No, on what basis are you permitted to remain in the country where you are residing? ___

This would be quite unambiguous in implying that you can apply for a passport renewal if you have obtained another citizenship. Of course, if ICA decides to renew, that is an entirely different matter. I just want to know if anyone stated "yes" and what the outcome was.

Thanks
Of course you can apply and tell them that on the application. You're telling them you broke the law and they'll use that to deny your application and worse. Just like you can apply for a PR with just six months of an EP. You're almost assuredly going to be turned down. But you're welcome to try!

US Visa applications also ask you if you have ever engaged in prostitution, drug dealing, organized crime, etc. Do you think if you say "Yes" to any of these things you have a snowball's chance in hell of being approved?

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Singapore passport renewal and dual citizenship

Post by taxico » Thu, 29 May 2014 4:59 pm

cnfcnf wrote:Hi,

I was looking at the passport renewal form at: http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/do ... _11_OS.pdf

It asks:

(b) I am / The child* is a citizen of Singapore.
(c) I have / The child* have/have not/has/has not* acquired the citizenship of another country.

The above clearly implies that one (who is 22+ years old) can get a Singapore passport renewed *even* if you say, "I have acquired the citizenship of another country".

Is this correct? Has anyone had a situation where they have declared the above and obtained a passport or been rejected for one?

Thanks in advance
iirc, they'll make you choose one and force you to take an oath if you choose the singapore passport.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 29 May 2014 5:02 pm

cnfcnf wrote:I am just trying to understand things:

Thanks
i believe the form found in missions overseas are tailored towards people living outside of singapore. including minors <22yo. it helps to keep their database up-to-date, i would think.

i have used that overseas form before. i have not stated yes. why push your luck?

there is no way they can quietly allow you to eat your cake.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

cin_city2

Post by cin_city2 » Thu, 15 Aug 2019 12:27 am

Can I please follow up to ask the outcome of this?

What did you end up disclosing on the form? Did you disclose that you hold another citizenship and did you receive approval?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Aug 2019 11:42 am

They might not be able to answer if they tried and failed as they could possibly be behind bars.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zegnaangelo

Post by zegnaangelo » Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:14 am

cin_city2 wrote:
Thu, 15 Aug 2019 12:27 am
Can I please follow up to ask the outcome of this?

What did you end up disclosing on the form? Did you disclose that you hold another citizenship and did you receive approval?
i answered yes on the form many yonks ago and sadly ICA made me choose... sent me a few letters and in the end i had to give up my singapore citizenship as I was residing overseas and it was much easier