Singapore Expats Forum

Very curious here!! Criteria to marrying the one??

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!

Very curious here!! Criteria to marrying the one??

Postby Rebeka » Tue, 11 Jan 2005 5:40 am

Hello! Im just very curious as to what are the deciding factors to finding a life partner?? Or a boyfriend or a girlfriend? :D:D

Looks? Love? Age? Compatibilty?

I would love to hear from as many people as possible!

no list

Postby no list » Tue, 11 Jan 2005 9:41 am

I don't think there is a tried and true list where you can tick off 'yes' or 'no' to a bunch of things and then add it up at the end to see if you've found your match. Generally I would say love and compatibility should be the most important -- assuming you actually want something that lasts and not just a fling.

I think it can be easy to fall in love with all kinds of people, but it's the compatibility issue that can get sticky. Sometimes if you come from vastly different backgrounds your compatibility can become a problem. A simple example of this is say you come from a family where higher education is very important and valued, so you went to university and got your bachelor's degree and then went on to get a master's degree but the person you are dating did not attend university at all - in fact, no one in his family went to university. A compatibility issue could arise between you at some point for any number of reasons relating to education. You might make a lot more money due to your credentials & this could become an issue or he may not feel comfortable around your family and friends because there isn't much to talk about, etc.

I think age difference can also affect compatibility. Let's say you are 25 and dating a man who is 45. The 20 years between you may not seem like much now, but when you are 35 and he is 55 you might start to see some bigger differences between you -- especially if you had children together. If you had a child at age 30, your spouse would be 50. That would make him 60 when the child is 10 (a lot of people are grandparents at age 60!).

Best to date people with whom you share things in common and let things run their natural course. If you meet someone that you really connect with you'll both realize it soon enough and move on from there. BUT, stick to people who are actually available and not already married or in a relationship! (I say that only because this type of question often seems to come from someone who is already 'dating' a married man....)

Postby simple » Tue, 18 Jan 2005 7:07 am

You simply have to have the feeling that you want to spend every minute of the day with that person. And whatever you would do, you'd rather do it with that person than without...

Postby Missy » Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:00 am

First & foremost, the connection have to be there, or some call the chemistry the fire...He doesnt have to be some handsome hunk! Just someone you can click with him & share all your Joy, sorrows, thoughts & secrets together..

Hes the person you call to first when you have any good/bad news to share with. share good things togther, save tasty yummy dinner with.

First person you think of when you wakes up, wonder how is his day today..

He who is someone you can relay on & walk thru thick & thin with you...Someone who can give me a sense of security..doesnt mean he must be rich owns a car or stays in condo. Just have a stable job & is responsible..You can be yourself at all times.