Singapore Expats

Update: Approved

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
luminicious

Update: Approved

Post by luminicious » Wed, 28 May 2014 1:59 pm

Hey guys.

I've been studying in Singapore since 2007, got my diploma from Singapore Polytechnic. And am currently working for a Japanese Construction MNC as an Assistant Engineer drawing 2200/month on an S Pass.

Can I know what are the chances of my PR application will be approved? :D

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by luminicious on Thu, 03 Sep 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 May 2014 3:55 pm

Where are you from and what is your ethnicity & gender?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

luminicious

Post by luminicious » Wed, 28 May 2014 4:27 pm

I'm a Chinese male from Hong Kong. 22 this year.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 May 2014 4:56 pm

50:50 I'd give you a higher chance if you had gotten a degree. It's possible with 7 years here, but a lot has changed since you first started school here, especially in the last two years. Good Luck, though. There has been some glimmer of hope in recent months, but not enough to say things are changing, at least to my way of thinking.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ade07

Post by ade07 » Fri, 30 May 2014 6:07 pm

Well I'd say it depends largely on ur grades.

I'm a diploma grad as well (grad in 2013) and have been working in one of the local hospitals healthcare admin since 8 months ago and earning bout $1900 ++ per month only (the job's irrelevant to my course of study though). I applied for PR in Feb and got the approval in early May and have just completed my formalities a week ago. The whole process took me about ... 3 months?

Well because of my scant work experience (it's the very 1st job of my life) and I knew it'd be a huge disadvantage to my application so I actually provided them with my detailed education docs (certifications of academic & co-curricular achievements from sec to poly), those're my only leverage I guess.

And the thing is I'm leaving for Australia at the end of next month for my degree study as I got a scholarship offer from one of the uni in Aus and that'll require me to be away from Spore for the next 2 years. I'm wondering how would that affect my PR status? Has anybody had any experiences in this?

Well after all, everything comes with a price, don't they?

Hope it helps and best of luck to you. :D

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 30 May 2014 7:09 pm

ade07 wrote:Well I'd say it depends largely on ur grades.

I'm a diploma grad as well (grad in 2013) and have been working in one of the local hospitals healthcare admin since 8 months ago and earning bout $1900 ++ per month only (the job's irrelevant to my course of study though). I applied for PR in Feb and got the approval in early May and have just completed my formalities a week ago. The whole process took me about ... 3 months?

Well because of my scant work experience (it's the very 1st job of my life) and I knew it'd be a huge disadvantage to my application so I actually provided them with my detailed education docs (certifications of academic & co-curricular achievements from sec to poly), those're my only leverage I guess.

And the thing is I'm leaving for Australia at the end of next month for my degree study as I got a scholarship offer from one of the uni in Aus and that'll require me to be away from Singapore for the next 2 years. I'm wondering how would that affect my PR status? Has anybody had any experiences in this?

can you share more details of your profile? country of origin... age... gender... poly that you graduated from... etc... whatever you think you can share publicly.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ade07

Post by ade07 » Sun, 01 Jun 2014 11:43 pm

taxico wrote:

And the thing is I'm leaving for Australia at the end of next month for my degree study as I got a scholarship offer from one of the uni in Aus and that'll require me to be away from Singapore for the next 2 years. I'm wondering how would that affect my PR status? Has anybody had any experiences in this?

can you share more details of your profile? country of origin... age... gender... poly that you graduated from... etc... whatever you think you can share publicly.

malaysian chinese, 21 y/o female. From NP with Dip in Biomedical Science.

Spent last year of my sec in Spore then followed by poly. Was a Student pass and S pass holder.

luminicious

Post by luminicious » Wed, 04 Jun 2014 8:52 am

ade07 wrote:
taxico wrote:

malaysian chinese, 21 y/o female. From NP with Dip in Biomedical Science.

Spent last year of my sec in Singapore then followed by poly. Was a Student pass and S pass holder.
Ahhh. Congrats to you! :D

luminicious

Post by luminicious » Wed, 04 Jun 2014 8:55 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:50:50 I'd give you a higher chance if you had gotten a degree. It's possible with 7 years here, but a lot has changed since you first started school here, especially in the last two years. Good Luck, though. There has been some glimmer of hope in recent months, but not enough to say things are changing, at least to my way of thinking.
Hmm no doubt that a degree would give anyone a higher chance! Well anyways, my grades in Poly aren't that 'fantastic' enough to get me a place in a local uni, although SIT was an option but I didn't take it. Would studying overseas and say coming back to Singapore to work in the next few years still allow me to apply for PR with an advantage? (studying secondary and poly in Singapore)

Anyways, I will try my luck after I get my 6th month paylist! Who knows I may get approved like ade07 in a few months :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Jun 2014 9:19 am

As noted, anything is possible. But when asked for an opinion, I tend to err on the side of caution as I don't like to blow smoke and then have the person experience a major letdown. We try to be as honest as we can based on the anecdotal evidence we have at our disposal (which is but a fraction of all the cases out there - lots come here with questions but never come back with the final resolution of their case so that's lost data. I usually assume that those who don't come back are because they were unsuccessful. ('tis the tendency of most people to trumpet their successes and quietly minimize their failures).

Going overseas and getting a degree is one thing. Getting another job here later and to start the process all over is another. Assuming you can find another job here after you have gotten your degree, then you would probably be a shoe-in. But keep your fingers crossed. You are a single Malaysian Chinese gal and that does go a long way to offsetting some of the negatives. (the lynx will probably call me an MCP but it is the reality here.)

luminicious

Post by luminicious » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 8:25 am

I was just looking through the explanatory notes to form 4A. It states that I need 3 years of income tax notices of assesment? Or 6 months pay slip would be enough?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 9:07 am

luminicious wrote:I was just looking through the explanatory notes to form 4A. It states that I need 3 years of income tax notices of assesment? Or 6 months pay slip would be enough?
6 months is usually referring to the LAST 6 months before your application. It doesn't mean you can attempt to apply six months into your job in Singapore but hey, you can try if you want.

3 years is still the safest number. Unless you belong to the group that ICA is determined NOT to have, regardless of the number of years (and salary) in Singapore.

luminicious

Re: What are my chances?

Post by luminicious » Mon, 31 Aug 2015 3:15 pm

Hey guys.
I'm sorry I forgot that I had asked on this forum!
However, I have applied in mid-June. I was supposed to go in Jan for my appointment but I accidentally cancelled my appointment!!!!
Up till date, it's still pending.
However, I've been hearing nowadays, your result will come back within the 4-6 months period.

luminicious

Re: What are my chances?

Post by luminicious » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 9:13 am

Hey guys.

Just a quick update. My PR got approved this morning :) What are the formalities to be followed up?