Singapore Expats Forum

repeatedly messed about over salary

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

spuds

repeatedly messed about over salary

Postby spuds » Tue, 27 May 2014 5:35 pm

Hey,

I'd appreciate some advice, but mostly I'd like to vent! :mad:

I started working for a local company here in January. There were problems getting my EP sorted out as their HR didn't know how to do it, as a result I couldn't open a bank account in time for the January pay roll and I didn't get paid until mid-Feb (by cheque in the end). I had to constantly chase up HR to get my EP (IIRC it took over 20 days!), then to get them to enter my bank details in their system. I brought this to the attention of my boss who was oblivious and said he thought it had already been taken care of.

In February, I didn't get paid on time again I had to chase HR for weeks. They said there was a payroll problem and somehow I was being skipped by the system - it was probably the 3rd week of March before I got my February salary. I informed my boss of this repeated problem, he assured me it wouldn't happen again.

I got paid on time for March as a result and a phone call from the CFO to follow up.

Then I got paid late for April, ~15 days late and the excuse was there was an issue with their bank.

In 5 months, I've been paid on time once. It's causing me and my partner no end of stress as while she's always paid on time we both have our rent, bills etc to pay. I've had to transfer money from my long term savings at home to meet our financial commitments. And it's really affecting my performance in work. I've tried to help out as much as I can - I worked over public holidays, I've worked 24 hours and plenty of unpaid overtime to help meet deadlines. I feel pretty f**king stupid at this point TBH for being taken advantage of. I don't even know if I'll get paid on time this month:(

As the trailing spouse it took me roughly 8 months to get so much as an interview. I can't just drop this job as much as I really want to :(

Do I have any course of action here or do their convenient excuses about every month's salary cover their backsides?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 May 2014 5:51 pm

You can give them the benefit of the doubt or you can complain to MOM and start looking for another job again. How long did you say it took you to get this one? When we put in our Payroll system 5 years ago, we have heaps of teething problems. Now when we have a problem, it's usually because of human error, and Payroll clerks sometimes have trouble typing (I know - I do it on here all the time). So, as you are a trailing spouse, and the fact that EP are getting harder and harder to come by, let your conscience be your guide.

At least you were able to have a rant here. ;-)

taxico
Director
Director

Re: repeatedly messed about over salary

Postby taxico » Wed, 28 May 2014 9:33 am

spuds wrote:Hey,

I'd appreciate some advice, but mostly I'd like to vent! :mad:

I started working for a local company here in January. There were problems getting my EP sorted out as their HR didn't know how to do it, as a result I couldn't open a bank account in time for the January pay roll and I didn't get paid until mid-Feb (by cheque in the end). I had to constantly chase up HR to get my EP (IIRC it took over 20 days!), then to get them to enter my bank details in their system. I brought this to the attention of my boss who was oblivious and said he thought it had already been taken care of.

In February, I didn't get paid on time again I had to chase HR for weeks. They said there was a payroll problem and somehow I was being skipped by the system - it was probably the 3rd week of March before I got my February salary. I informed my boss of this repeated problem, he assured me it wouldn't happen again.

I got paid on time for March as a result and a phone call from the CFO to follow up.

Then I got paid late for April, ~15 days late and the excuse was there was an issue with their bank.

In 5 months, I've been paid on time once. It's causing me and my partner no end of stress as while she's always paid on time we both have our rent, bills etc to pay. I've had to transfer money from my long term savings at home to meet our financial commitments. And it's really affecting my performance in work. I've tried to help out as much as I can - I worked over public holidays, I've worked 24 hours and plenty of unpaid overtime to help meet deadlines. I feel pretty f**king stupid at this point TBH for being taken advantage of. I don't even know if I'll get paid on time this month:(

As the trailing spouse it took me roughly 8 months to get so much as an interview. I can't just drop this job as much as I really want to :(

Do I have any course of action here or do their convenient excuses about every month's salary cover their backsides?

do you think they're doing this on purpose or is this because of a genuine problem?

is there a possibility that you will NOT get paid down the road? (eg, any news/gossip about cashflow problems?)
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 28 May 2014 10:05 am

The question is whether the company is going bust or it is a problem with incompetence or a rather slow payroll team?

p.s are you a tottenham fc fan ?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Seek To Compromise

Postby Seek To Compromise » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 9:35 am

Does this issue happen only to you or similar statutes facing the same issue. Again, you mentioned a long wait and disputes regarding wages above 10 days can be reported to MOM.

Don't let this issue be of hindrance to you albeit being a foreigner (all should be treated the same).

Best Regards,
S.T.C
When you help one another, the help returns to you.
The greatest gift on earth is to bring all to our Heavenly parents and be granted everlasting Life, Happiness and Love.