Singapore Expats Forum

New Maid Interviews

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
skooch

New Maid Interviews

Postby skooch » Mon, 26 May 2014 1:11 pm

Hi All,
I would appreciate your advise on how to conduct the interviews for a domestic helper. We are going to be provided with a number of CV's and then we can interview face to face as well. Are there any particular questions that you have asked that would be useful ? We are going to ask questions that you can't just answer with a yes or no so that we get more insight but wonderd if any one had any additional advise. Some questions we would ask are:

1. Describe what you would cook for all the meals for a day.
2. What sort of activities would you engage in with my son during the day ?
3. Describe what a typical day / week would entail in terms of domestic duties.
4. What do you think are the most important things to remember when dealing with young children ?

Thanks for your help.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Beeroclock » Mon, 26 May 2014 3:08 pm

I would have a low expectation, speak slowly and be very patient. Make an effort to settle them at the start. Open ended questions are always good so you can hear her talk a bit more, but start of with the easier ones (e.g. "Describe what a typical day / week would entail in terms of domestic duties"). Aim more to get a feeling for the person, if they seem honest, trustable and a good fit in your household; rather than focus too much on the specific content of the interview.

The two times I've done maid interviews, I started with a lengthy list of questions and abandoned most of it, we ended up deciding more based on who we felt more comfortable with.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Hannieroo » Tue, 27 May 2014 4:32 pm

I ask them to describe their current day and give me a few ideas of what they can cook but general chatting is the way to go.

I might be really unpopular saying this but I wouldn't be interviewing somebody as a maid and a nanny. Having been a full time mum for many years I can honestly say it's very difficult to do both of those jobs to a high standard every day. You either need to prioritise your child's care or your housework.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Tue, 27 May 2014 7:36 pm

If you find a new maid who can answer your questions (or in fact any question that has more than three words) in a sensible manner in English, you found a gem and should offer her a special bonus!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Wed, 28 May 2014 9:32 am

Ask them what would they do if they saw your kid drowning in the pool, the obvious answer is not always what you will get!

Ask what color was Napoleon white horse? ( To see if they do actually listen.)

Ask them if they know what headache pay is?

Get them to ask you 3 questions it a good way to see how they think.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Wed, 28 May 2014 10:54 am

Curious, how many people actually think to teach the maids basic CPR or at least what to do if the kid choke with some object. Or it is simply not doable?

(I briefly thought that I simply didn't qualify to be a maid but looks like Google also doesn't know what the headache pay is. Huge relief.)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 28 May 2014 10:58 am

can you clean?
can you cook?
can you iron?
can you fold clothes?
can you wear sexy dress?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Hannieroo » Wed, 28 May 2014 11:12 am

Headache pay is screwing the husband when the wife has a headache. Oh ha de ha.

You can get first aid courses.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Wed, 28 May 2014 11:27 am

Hannieroo wrote:Headache pay is screwing the husband when the wife has a headache. Oh ha de ha.

You can get first aid courses.

I died because I LOL'ed at this. Never thought of this before.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Hannieroo » Wed, 28 May 2014 11:34 am

I don't think women hear it on the whole. My husband asked me if any took it after I did a bunch of interviews. I was understanding about it and drove him to the emergency room after we had discussed it thoroughly.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Wed, 28 May 2014 11:37 am

Good to be that innocent and modest. I will wear something white tomorrow.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 May 2014 12:08 pm

Hannieroo wrote:I don't think women hear it on the whole. My husband asked me if any took it after I did a bunch of interviews. I was understanding about it and drove him to the emergency room after we had discussed it thoroughly.

:lol:

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Re: New Maid Interviews

Postby movingtospore » Sun, 01 Jun 2014 11:45 am

skooch wrote:Hi All,
I would appreciate your advise on how to conduct the interviews for a domestic helper. We are going to be provided with a number of CV's and then we can interview face to face as well. Are there any particular questions that you have asked that would be useful ? We are going to ask questions that you can't just answer with a yes or no so that we get more insight but wonderd if any one had any additional advise. Some questions we would ask are:

1. Describe what you would cook for all the meals for a day.
2. What sort of activities would you engage in with my son during the day ?
3. Describe what a typical day / week would entail in terms of domestic duties.
4. What do you think are the most important things to remember when dealing with young children ?

Thanks for your help.

I think you might be overestimating the critical thinking capacity of many of the maids here. :) I would expect that most of them will just stare at you and blink with those kind of questions as they expect you to tell them what to do.

You may find that you need to give them very detailed and specific instructions on the above once you hire one. And repeat them on a regular basis. Along with rules you would think would be common sense re child safety etc. Eg/ You hold the child's hand crossing the road. Every time. You don't spend the whole time at the park on the phone instead of watching what they're doing. You don't leave the patio door open so they can climb on the balcony while you're off doing something else. They're not allowed in the pool without an adult. And so on...

There are too many tragic stories in Singapore of children being hurt if not dying in a maid's care. Not because there is ill intent necessarily - they just don't know any better about a number of things.