Singapore Expats Forum

plumbing service

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

nanana
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2008

plumbing service

Postby nanana » Sat, 24 May 2014 1:21 pm

how much does it cost to change a water tap?

I paid SGD$100 for a plumber to change a leaking tap (new tap was provided by plumber).

The reason I'm asking cos i came across similar tap in NTUC, and it costs about $25. Although the plumber claimed that his tap is better quality....
:roll:

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9247
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 24 May 2014 8:16 pm

$75 for the replacement does not sound shocking knowing that to hang a lamp from the ceiling they ask something around $40.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10472
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: plumbing service

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 24 May 2014 10:32 pm

nanana wrote:how much does it cost to change a water tap?

I paid SGD$100 for a plumber to change a leaking tap (new tap was provided by plumber).

The reason I'm asking cos i came across similar tap in NTUC, and it costs about $25. Although the plumber claimed that his tap is better quality....
:roll:


It's OK. But, in the future you should specify the quality of the hardware you want. A tap can run from $25 to $150 and more. For $25 I'm guessing a cold water only, 90 degree on-off.

nanana
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2008

Re: plumbing service

Postby nanana » Sat, 24 May 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks guys for the info.

Strong Eagle wrote: For $25 I'm guessing a cold water only, 90 degree on-off.


I'm impressed! yes, it is exactly that type. I don't want anything fancy as it is not my property anyway. Can't believe the labour cost is that expensive for a less-than-10 mins job..

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9247
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: plumbing service

Postby x9200 » Sun, 25 May 2014 2:57 pm

It's just a consequence of the fact that an average Singaporean can not do any basic DIY work around the house. They are being ripped off almost in everything both for the price and the service quality.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10472
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: plumbing service

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 25 May 2014 9:49 pm

nanana wrote:Thanks guys for the info.

Strong Eagle wrote: For $25 I'm guessing a cold water only, 90 degree on-off.


I'm impressed! yes, it is exactly that type. I don't want anything fancy as it is not my property anyway. Can't believe the labour cost is that expensive for a less-than-10 mins job..


In addition to the labor, there are the tools. It wouldn't be 10 minutes without the proper sink wrench. And the person spends more than 10 minutes driving to and fro, in addition to the time needed to pick up the part(s).

Plumbers in Houston average $150 per hour. I might have expected about $75 for your job but it's not totally out of line.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: plumbing service

Postby bgd » Fri, 13 Feb 2015 4:17 pm

spammer wrote:Usually the cost of plumbing is depends on the locality and the type of the structure you have. So there will 50$ will be enough to replace the leaking tap.


We need a moron filter in this forum. :roll:

albertchan659
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 07 Jun 2017

Re: plumbing service

Postby albertchan659 » Sat, 17 Jun 2017 2:36 pm

mine cost be $80 per trip for a simple job to clear my chokage.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34339
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: plumbing service

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Jun 2017 5:49 pm

albertchan659 wrote:mine cost be $80 per trip for a simple job to clear my chokage.


For $8 you could have bought a bottle of Plumbr at NTUC and poured it into the sink and let it stand for 15 minutes and then flushed it clear with hot water. Bob's yer Uncle!

albertchan659
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 07 Jun 2017

Re: plumbing service

Postby albertchan659 » Tue, 20 Jun 2017 8:16 pm

thats true! i would have done that if i had known :D


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests