Singapore Expats

Lost both Jobs - Both Passes

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Divya Divya

Lost both Jobs - Both Passes

Post by Divya Divya » Fri, 23 May 2014 5:50 pm

Hello Guys I Badly need a help and an advice from your experience for my critical condition.

I have been working in singapore for 5 months under S pass. I got a new job from another employer, Hence they applied for my new S Pass. Also it got approved by MOM. Accordingly the new employer asked/forced me to submit my resignation and also they requested me to ask my present employer to cancel my current pass to issue the IPA and Issuance of PAPAER.

After getting the confirmation from mail, I tendered my resignation with old / present company. After I tendered my resignation, same day I got a call from new company they shared me a shocking news that, Our Project has been called off , So we cannot hire you.

I Spoke to them politely that, Sir You are too late.. I submitted my resignation I cannot get back, even if I get Back they will not treat me in proper way in future. So you have to help me. Again he said, Sorry I can sorry only I cannot help you. I really lost both the jobs now. Coming monday ( 26th of May 2014) my present company is going to cancel my pass. Really I dont know to whom i blame whether myself or the new employer. Please help me out. Where Can I ask for the help . What is the solution for my critical situation. I badly need your experienced advice guys.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Fri, 23 May 2014 6:04 pm

Bad situation, the only advice I can think of is 1) go back to your old employer on your knees and beg for your job back, 2) search urgently for a new job.

Apart from the above, did you sign a contract with the new employer and are they obliged to give you any notice period for termination ? Hopefully you can get some compensation from them, but only if you protected yourself contractually.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Lost both Jobs - Both Passes

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 May 2014 2:40 pm

Divya Divya wrote:Hello Guys I Badly need a help and an advice from your experience for my critical condition.

I have been working in singapore for 5 months under S pass. I got a new job from another employer, Hence they applied for my new S Pass. Also it got approved by MOM. Accordingly the new employer asked/forced me to submit my resignation and also they requested me to ask my present employer to cancel my current pass to issue the IPA and Issuance of PAPAER.

After getting the confirmation from mail, I tendered my resignation with old / present company. After I tendered my resignation, same day I got a call from new company they shared me a shocking news that, Our Project has been called off , So we cannot hire you.

I Spoke to them politely that, Sir You are too late.. I submitted my resignation I cannot get back, even if I get Back they will not treat me in proper way in future. So you have to help me. Again he said, Sorry I can sorry only I cannot help you. I really lost both the jobs now. Coming monday ( 26th of May 2014) my present company is going to cancel my pass. Really I dont know to whom i blame whether myself or the new employer. Please help me out. Where Can I ask for the help . What is the solution for my critical situation. I badly need your experienced advice guys.
As an employer, I'm not in the least sympathetic, truth be told. You original company hired you and after only 5 months (which means you haven't even been an asset long enough to offset your 'running in' to the point where you are productive and then you resign. Frankly, as the old employer was burned by you, I would take you back either at you have already shown your true colours after only 5 months.

As the new employer, I would be hesitant to actually hire you as well, knowing that you will up and leave at a moments notice. Frankly? You got exactly what you deserved. I'd say it might be time to go home until you learn to treat an employer. I don't feel the least bit sorry.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Sat, 24 May 2014 3:11 pm

I'd take you back at significantly lower pay. If you're a keeper, you take it on the chin, use this episode as a way to prove your mettle and bounce back.

Ultimately, we both come out the stronger for it.

If you don't accept, then this proves what we suspected all along, so no loss here.

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Sat, 24 May 2014 3:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Divya Divya wrote:Hello Guys I Badly need a help and an advice from your experience for my critical condition.

As an employer, I'm not in the least sympathetic, truth be told. You original company hired you and after only 5 months (which means you haven't even been an asset long enough to offset your 'running in' to the point where you are productive and then you resign. Frankly, as the old employer was burned by you, I would take you back either at you have already shown your true colours after only 5 months.

As the new employer, I would be hesitant to actually hire you as well, knowing that you will up and leave at a moments notice. Frankly? You got exactly what you deserved. I'd say it might be time to go home until you learn to treat an employer. I don't feel the least bit sorry.
SMS, what if after joining his previous company, the OP found out that he can't stand his employer, even for another minute? Who is showing the "true colours" then? It goes both ways.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 24 May 2014 4:22 pm

One of my close friends also did something similar, he was interviewing many places. He got an offer in company A and so he joined and then after about a month he got offer in company B which was better so he gave 1 month notice. The manager at company A did what my friend deserved, i.e. he relieved him immediately, i.e. didn't let him serve 1 month notice. So my friend had to go on unpaid leave for a month.

We are foreigners working here on EP which is a privilege and we must be greatful about it and not do like we do in our home country, India especially.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 May 2014 5:03 pm

Aragorn2000 wrote: SMS, what if after joining his previous company, the OP found out that he can't stand his employer, even for another minute? Who is showing the "true colours" then? It goes both ways.
I have that happen occasionally. Usually the employee will know he is not a "fit" in the company and will have a discussion with either his superior or HR to see if there is any solution. If the company feels the same way, work notice and leave, don't abuse the employer and stay for 5 months and then leave after the employer has invested the time and money in them and then has to go and do it again. Usually a new employee knows within a couple weeks whether the 'fit' is right or not. But to abuse the employer by staying on under false pretenses while hunting for another job and leave an employer possibly in the lurch is just wrong. Maybe I'm too old now and my type of ethics aren't relevant anymore, but ethics carry a lot of weight with me.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 24 May 2014 9:59 pm

Good riddance job hopper.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 24 May 2014 11:09 pm

5 months into a job and you want to switch jobs? Ok lets see you should have at least some tact in pulling that off.
why did you resign from the first job? your new employer cannot force you to resign from your existing job.
you lost trust with your old employer and after he showed faith by hiring you in the first place.
shambolic! Hope you learn from this and move on.
that's all I can say.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Mon, 26 May 2014 11:06 am

Gratitude to the first company does not make sense. It is obvious that they offered him a salary which was low and hence he was able to get something better within a few months.

Loyalty and care should go both ways and unfortunately, employers dont care much particularly for the cheap labor category.

What the OP should have realized that his survival in Singapore depends on not the willingness of employers to employ him, but also on the Work VIsa he needs. And changing jobs so early can put him in risk.

He could not assess the risk in his actions and now he is paying the price.

As far as the employer goes, do not expect loyalty when you pay peanuts.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 26 May 2014 11:19 am

For the benefit of others, OP is a female, from her nick and most likely a trailing spouse.

In my friend's case not only did he go on unpaid leave for a month, but his wife was working on LOC and she too lost her job because his EP got cancelled. Some people just forget that they are foreigners in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 May 2014 11:50 am

I had guessed the OP was a female on the first instance as well. Still doesn't have any ethics though.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 26 May 2014 12:31 pm

PNGMK wrote:Good riddance job hopper.
One more time... how very Christian of you.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 26 May 2014 8:01 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
You guys misunderstand Christianity. Christianity is not all flowers and happy feelings.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 26 May 2014 10:01 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
You guys misunderstand Christianity. Christianity is not all flowers and happy feelings.
You are correct. The "modern" version of Christianity is a war mongering, hateful, judgmental, divisive, non inclusive, dualistic thinking, corrupt organization of men run by men for the benefit of men.

Jesus would not recognize it at all. Jesus preached love. Inclusivity. Unative mind. Peace. Beggars, thieves, and whores could sit at his table.

Your brand of Christianity is designed to soothe the ego, to prove that it is right, to justify greed, to justify war, to justify discrimination. It has nothing to do with the connection of Self to Sacred Mystery.