Singapore Expats

Ice cream maker - any recipe ideas?

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Ice cream maker - any recipe ideas?

Post by JR8 » Thu, 22 May 2014 10:16 am

I bought a Cuisinart ICE-21 recently and last night it got it's first trial.

This is the 'Simple Chocolate Ice Cream' that's on the first page of the suggested recipes that came enclosed. Served together with some added choco sauce and macadamias.

I have to say it was pretty knock-out :) The good strong plain cocoa powder really gives it some oomph. It would be interesting doing a blind test vs Haagan Dazs or Ben + Jerrys. My unscientific impression is that it doesn't taste inferior to either, and it would be interesting to test that. If anything it struck me as richer and punchier...

It's not slimming food that's for sure, for a 1.2litre batch it includes a cup+ of sugar (1/2 + 1/3rd dark brown), and two cups of thick cream. But, everything in moderation.

So I was wondering if anyone else has one, and what kind of recipes they might have enjoyed. Of course now my mind is racing with the possibilities: Chocolate-Orange is an obvious hybrid. I'm also wondering whether incorporating brandy into a recipe might work ... :) Perhaps adding brandy soaked sliced cherries for an adults-only 'Black-Forest' style blend...

So if anyone has any tips or suggestions I'd love to hear them!

----
The machine was about S$170. For people relo'ing over it could be worth considering bringing one as they cost about 1/2 that in 'the West'.

The above batch of 1.2L cost roughly (this is an estimate, in S$, as we already had the cocoa, sugar, and vanilla brought from Europe).
3/4 cocoa powder - $1.50
1/2 cup granulated sugar -$0.25
1/3 cup dark brown sugar -$0.50
pinch salt
1 cup whole milk - $0.25
2 cups thick cream - $6.00
1/2 tsp vanilla extract - $0.25

So, about $8.75/1.2L or $4/pint! Now, if HD/B+Js is say $20/pt, that means the machine has paid for itself after about 5 uses. What I also like is the lack of fillers, gums, preservatives, and the like. It can do sorbets and frozen yoghurt too.

p.s. One minor inconvenience is that you need to pre-freeze the mixer bowl which is about 6" high * 7" across. For many people here that is going to be quite a chunk of their freezer drawer. On the +side, it forced us to have a 'freezer audit' and dump a lot of old forgotten stuff. You can also buy models that require no pre-freezing of the bowl, rather they have in-built compressors (like a freezer!), but they are significantly more expensive, maybe $500+

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 22 May 2014 10:59 am

mango ice cream!! mangoes are in season now. :cool:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 22 May 2014 2:15 pm

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Thu, 22 May 2014 9:10 pm

Go for alcohol! My favourite is Rum and Raisin (soak the raisins in rum first)
Cointreau with orange peel. Whisky. If you don't have an ice cream maker just search for Nigellas no-churn recipe online, works every time!
(Spelling)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 22 May 2014 10:24 pm

CaptainBullus wrote:Go for alcohol! My favourite is Rum and Raisin (soak the raisins in rum first)
Cointreau with orange peel. Whisky. If you don't have an ice cream maker just search for Nigellas boobs online and you'll find the receipe, works every time!
(Spelling)
fixed for accuracy

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 30 May 2014 2:22 pm

All the talk of mangoes and alcohol = Mango+vodka frozen yogurt....

Image :cool:

p.s. It's incredibly healthy of course, and the vodka was only added to raise the melt-point and make it easier to scoop, no really :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 31 May 2014 1:49 pm

If I told you that for breakfast I had:

Weetabix +
half-fat milk +

1/2 a fresh mango +
some low fat yogurt +

an espresso cup of good hot chocolate...

You might remark that that sounds healthy, and rather nice too.

Well I did... but would it change your opinion if it were served like this ... ?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 3:24 pm

JR8, you have clearly done some research on which ice-cream machine to buy and there are some cheaper ones around like this one:

http://www.courts.com.sg/Products/PID-5 ... -15L-IM280

and I wonder if the difference is worth it.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 7:05 pm

x9200 wrote:JR8, you have clearly done some research on which ice-cream machine to buy and there are some cheaper ones around like this one:

http://www.courts.com.sg/Products/PID-5 ... -15L-IM280

and I wonder if the difference is worth it.
That was another model that we looked at. The Cuisinart one I bought was $172, that Kenwood was $108. I did much of my background research by reading customer reviews of various products, that allowed me to consider the pros and cons. I don't recall precisely why I chose the unit I did but it would have been based upon that research plus Cuisinart is one the brands I am ok paying something of a premium for. The Cuisinart one if bigger and more solid feeling too.

But if you're interested I'd start by searching out online user reviews. You'll quickly see what people like and dislike about each various model.

p.s. It's not often I get to buy an appliance and have such fun with it. Should have got one a long time ago!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 10:27 pm

I purchased the smallest model I could find, Panasonic brand (?). It worked well and gave me an opportunity to test the idea of homemade ice cream. I used it once to make French Vanilla ice cream. It was very rich (egg yolks) and delicious.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 10:49 pm

I was having a similar discussion with my wife this pm.

Just about any well made home-made dish is so much nicer than a purchased version. That definitely includes ice cream etc too.

If you've only ever eaten McDonalds, a home made gourmet burger meal should knock you for six. The same goes for ice cream, it will probably be like nothing you've experienced before...

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 11:02 pm

Litchis and ice cream make a good combination, the other I love is mint choc ice cream

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 11:03 pm

I haven't had homemade in 50 years I guess. My G.Father used to have one of these and that's probably the last time I had it the original way.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 11:39 pm

My daughters made vanilla ice cream with cream top milk using ziploc bags and ice cubes.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 11:55 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I haven't had homemade in 50 years I guess. My G.Father used to have one of these and that's probably the last time I had it the original way.
Home-churned.... yum.... required a bit of elbow-grease though, same with home churned butter! :)